Howdy from across the pond

Rogeydodge

Hi Guy's,

Great site. reading this forum convinced me to go the RTV route for my ATV needs. So after last year's near coldest on record winter for us (I live near Manchester) in the UK I decided to be prepared this winter. So the kubota arrived end November. I then added a Tomlin plough and thought I could get away with using a seed spreader towed on the hitch to lay down the salt grit. WRONG! The weight was to much and I kept throwing a tire. So imported from the U.S. of A the Meyer gritter. Not sure of your thoughts on this bit of kit but it fitted my budget. Three tons of salt grit arrived. Then I just waited for the snow, and waited, and waited!!!!! This winter has now been officialy classifoied as the WARMEST on record. Average temperature 10 degrees! I have the cleanest snowblade in the whole of England! Go figure :whistling:

She's a 2009 model and road legal which in the UK means two individual airsprung seats (not bench) seat belts etc

Anyways, RTV ownership has not been plain sailing. I will post a YouTube link later which will show you what I mean.

Cheers
Roger

Attachments

• photo6 (Large).jpg
    photo6 (Large).jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 173
  • photo7 (Large).jpg
    photo7 (Large).jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 172
  • photo8 (Large).jpg
    photo8 (Large).jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 171

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hi Roger. :wave: Welcome to our Tractor / RTV internet forums. :tiphat: I'm glad you found us. :D

Nice set up you have there. Our winter has been much the same . I have not had to use the blade even once. Not complaining mind you. I'm looking forward to your video and story of what has not gone so smooth. you got my curiosity up. :D

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
welcome to the forum i see you said something about no bench seats is this a extra mod fromt the factory or did you install that yourself? i thought all rtv's had bench seats?would like to see the videos also and a few pics of the seat setup.

Rogeydodge

Thanks for the welcome guy's.

Well, the first issue was when I took her into my wood to haul out some logs. This wood is on a hill, but nothing too drastic, or so I thought. Anyways she got up there ok, but when I swung her round facing downhill there was no way she could reverse up it (see pic below). My foot was flat down & the engine was gunning, but there was no moving her.

When I finally got down out of the wood I called the dealer and they came the next day. They did an on-site pressure test which read OK, jacked up all four wheels and engaged 4WD, that was OK (although in my opinion pointless if not under load). They took her away and replaced the swash plates. She was returned last week, just as our first snow was forecast for the weekend. Excellent I thought. She's now "On her Toes" and ready for anything the weather can throw at me, I got my plough, my U.S. of A gritter, 3 ton of grit and the most rugged ATV of all.........Not

To be continued (with YouTube footage)

Hey Penut, you don't have an English cousin as good with the tools as you are do you? Scottish won't count I'm afraid :) I'll get you some shots of the seat config........When I get her back :(

Attachments

• photo1 (Large).jpg
    photo1 (Large).jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 171

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum!

Nice looking rig you have there. Nice options!

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
As for your problem backing up, we've discussed that issue and found the issue is somewhat inherent to the RTV.

Take a piece of wood (like what we would call a 6x6") and lay it behind your back tires. If you're not in 4WD and don't have the diff lock on, it may crawl over it. If you engage 4WD and/or diff lock, it probably won't.

Rogeydodge

As for your problem backing up, we've discussed that issue and found the issue is somewhat inherent to the RTV.

Take a piece of wood (like what we would call a 6x6") and lay it behind your back tires. If you're not in 4WD and don't have the diff lock on, it may crawl over it. If you engage 4WD and/or diff lock, it probably won't.

Interesting, why to goodness would that happen on an ATV such as this? Would the same apply if the wood was behind the front tires?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hey Penut, you don't have an English cousin as good with the tools as you are do you? Scottish won't count I'm afraid :) I'll get you some shots of the seat config........When I get her back :(

PM Mith here on NTT.
He used to be very active here and he fabricated all kinds of stuff. He is over there somewhere. He was close to London but moved to the country ...no clue where. You can also search for some of his posts on here. He made a tractor with a front end loader and would get old tracters and fix them up. Very handy indeed. He might be able to help you out with whatever you need made.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It's something related to the HST in reverse. It's geared to high. The more wheels you're trying to spin, the less power is going to each. Send all the power to 1 wheel and it has what it needs to climb.

Rogeydodge

Well based on the reaction to my dealer seeing the following video on YouTube, they called in Kubota UK who sent two tec's to their dealership on Monday after they had collected the RTV for the second time.

Now don't get me wrong, I know the RTV is an unbeatable piece of enginering, and I also know I will love owning one. Just so happens I have had a couple issues early on in the ownership process. It can happen to anything built with an engine I guess.

I have to say the dealer has been excellent in trying to resolve this issue, & I look forward to updating you all on the outcome.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JG1f6_V2Zg&context=C3c349acADOEgsToPDskJwCyyOTE7OShFaOMpYgTe8[/ame]

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks for the welcome guy's.

Well, the first issue was when I took her into my wood to haul out some logs. This wood is on a hill, but nothing too drastic, or so I thought. Anyways she got up there ok, but when I swung her round facing downhill there was no way she could reverse up it (see pic below). My foot was flat down & the engine was gunning, but there was no moving her.

When I finally got down out of the wood I called the dealer and they came the next day. They did an on-site pressure test which read OK, jacked up all four wheels and engaged 4WD, that was OK (although in my opinion pointless if not under load). They took her away and replaced the swash plates. She was returned last week, just as our first snow was forecast for the weekend. Excellent I thought. She's now "On her Toes" and ready for anything the weather can throw at me, I got my plough, my U.S. of A gritter, 3 ton of grit and the most rugged ATV of all.........Not

To be continued (with YouTube footage)

no don't have no relatives in england but if you need something just let me know i will see what i can do to get it to you.

pepr

SUPER Site Supporter
Rogeydodge, welcome to the forum! A fine looking machine you have. I'm intrigued by the Meyer spreader. I'll check them out.

Interestingly enough my 2011 RTV 900 XT will traverse a fairly steep shale pit hill in 4 wd backwards as well if not better than in forward direction. This really made no sense to me that it actually seemed to traverse the hill in revserse better that forward considering that the different lock was engaged both directions. I must say that is does well in either direction. Anyway, this really doesn't help with your issue. Just thought I'd share.

vintovka

Had the same problem off and on for years. I just avoid steep backups. The stuck up against tree thing is especially frustrating so i plan my moves well in advance. I believe it is a design defect Kubota is unwilling to admit or repair.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi Rogeydodge. I am sorry to hear about your troubles. It does sound like you have a good dealer so that is good. I had an '05 bought new and drove it until Aug of 2011. It did take a while for me to get the knack of it but I drove it all over the farm for all that time and I got a lot of enjoyment out of my work while using it. I think there is a post on here about not flooring it but pushing on and off on the pedal to get the pump to kick in?? Maybe Zoom can help me out on remembering the specifics of that??
The 2011 is improved , but still hard to get in gear at times unless I follow directions on the dash. - move steering wheel, touch pedal a couple of times etc. Good Luck! Keep us informed about your situation. bordercollie

edit: old post with Bczoom info on one aspect of the machine. #7 from 2-22- 2007 .. http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10838&highlight=won%27t+move

Last edited:

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Welcome to the Forum.

Every RTV has it's own personality. I so believe that !!!!!

Things will work out, got to have faith !!!!

Attachments

• Happy_Dog.jpg
    Happy_Dog.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 133

Rogeydodge

Hi Rogeydodge. I am sorry to hear about your troubles. It does sound like you have a good dealer so that is good. I had an '05 bought new and drove it until Aug of 2011. It did take a while for me to get the knack of it but I drove it all over the farm for all that time and I got a lot of enjoyment out of my work while using it. I think there is a post on here about not flooring it but pushing on and off on the pedal to get the pump to kick in?? Maybe Zoom can help me out on remembering the specifics of that??
The 2011 is improved , but still hard to get in gear at times unless I follow directions on the dash. - move steering wheel, touch pedal a couple of times etc. Good Luck! Keep us informed about your situation. bordercollie

edit: old post with Bczoom info on one aspect of the machine. #7 from 2-22- 2007 .. http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10838&highlight=won%27t+move

Bordercollie, thanks. A very interesting summary, your link explains a lot. I still feel I should be able to climb a 3 inch container lip though :)

Rogeydodge

Rogeydodge, welcome to the forum! A fine looking machine you have. I'm intrigued by the Meyer spreader. I'll check them out.

Interestingly enough my 2011 RTV 900 XT will traverse a fairly steep shale pit hill in 4 wd backwards as well if not better than in forward direction. This really made no sense to me that it actually seemed to traverse the hill in revserse better that forward considering that the different lock was engaged both directions. I must say that is does well in either direction. Anyway, this really doesn't help with your issue. Just thought I'd share.

Thanks for the welcome Pepr, as Two Guns points out, they all have their quirks I guess.

Rogeydodge

Had the same problem off and on for years. I just avoid steep backups. The stuck up against tree thing is especially frustrating so i plan my moves well in advance. I believe it is a design defect Kubota is unwilling to admit or repair.

Question is would you have spent all that dough if the dealer has said "Son you'll be fine as long as you dont get stuck against a tree on a small incline" ??

oldhat

Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum. Your post about backing up had me bothered. So I took my RTV 1100 to the steepest hill on the place, and drove 1/2 way down. Put it in reverse to back up. In two wheel drive it spun the tires but only moved about a foot. Put into 4WD and it would back up with no problem.
My opinion is there is something wrong and they should fix it. Do not let this go. It may just be an adjustment. My son changed the throttle adjustment to allow a fue more RPM before the transmission eagaged . This has helped on several things. I did not try to back up a hill before the adjustment, so I do not know if this would help. There was a post about using the hand throttle to increase the RPM then maybe trying to push down on the fule peddel. I do not remember exactly. I could not find the post. Maybe some one can find it.
oldhat

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Rodneydodge, I see that this is an '09. Did you buy from the dealer and get some sort of warranty or are you having to pay for all this "adjusting" to get it right. We hurt for ya . bordercollie