PTO generator for mahindra 3510

nworbekim

ok, its been a miserable winter in KY! and we've been lucky, only lost power a short time, but i keep thinking what if!

soooo, i'm looking for a PTO generator for my 3510 as its the only diesel i have on the place...

i know the generators size will be decided on the PTO hp, i don't have the specs, but i'm guessing maybe 30 hp?

will this generator be too big for the tractor? i'd like to have a larger generator, but this one will be sufficient... i think...

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_36914_36914

PBinWA

I think that will be fine on your tractor. AFAIK, the only thing that having an underpowered tractor means is that you won't be able to meet the max output of the generator. However, I don't think you will be underpowered.

That's the generator I would get for my 2615 and it only has 23 HP at the PTO.

Erik

3510 is rated at 28 PTO HP according to the Mahindra website - and if it's less than that, I'm in trouble since I just bought a 6' RC mower for mine yesterday. (local TSC goofed and labeled everything with last years stickers, so I got it for $100 off their catalog price!)

B

bczoom

Welcome to the forum.

i'd like to have a larger generator, but this one will be sufficient... i think...
What do you want to run where you need something bigger?

I had a 7500w generator that ran everything in the house except the furnace and heat-pump. I sold that one and got a 15,000w. Well, guess what. I can run the same stuff (and still can't run the furnace). All I gained (actually lost) was double the fuel usage. Granted, I don't have to worry if the hot water tank comes on with the new one but in my mind that doesn't justify the excess fuel usage.

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
I think that it's always better to be prepared and that PTO generator would be a good match for your tractor. That's the one that I've had my eye on for a while but just can't force myself to pull the trigger. Damn this economy.

I intended to run it behind my B2400 and crank out about 8/10 kilowatts or if I needed more juice I could run it off the GL4740 and get full power at twice the fuel consumption. Life is a compromise.

Until better times come I'll just keep my little gas fueled genny tuned up and hope that it's ready to go when needed. I need to win the lottery.

B

bczoom

Hey Zoomer, how much gas do you keep on hand for that 15 kW generator?
It has a 12-15 gallon tank on the gen which I keep full. I also keep at least 15 more gallons in reserve. I get more if there's a long-term outage anticipated but most of our power issues are very localized so getting more fuel isn't an issue.

haffasst

Guys several months ago I was looking at the pto driven gens. I guit looking because I was warned that the output power is not clean enough for electronics. That includes computers, TVs, stereos, games, and maybe even a microwave. Be careful with what you buy and remember if your engine lopes etc your house voltage will too.

Erik

so does my rural power - which is why I have a UPS for my computer, monitor, & printer, as well as my TV, DVD, & surround system.
APC, Belkin, Tripp Lite, etc... all make reasonably priced UPS's that also line condition - so your voltage stays consistent through micro surges and browns, which are both pretty common anywhere there are trees and wind. (like Kansas!) :tiphat:

rback33

so does my rural power - which is why I have a UPS for my computer, monitor, & printer, as well as my TV, DVD, & surround system.
APC, Belkin, Tripp Lite, etc... all make reasonably priced UPS's that also line condition - so your voltage stays consistent through micro surges and browns, which are both pretty common anywhere there are trees and wind. (like Kansas!) :tiphat:

Wind blows... mine flickers all the time...

haffasst

I just happened to be looking at the Winco models.

Their 15KW model needs 30 pto horses.

My tractor only has 23 so I could only pull a 7KW.

kennyd

I just happened to be looking at the Winco models.

Their 15KW model needs 30 pto horses.

My tractor only has 23 so I could only pull a 7KW.

You could still run the 15kw genset, but not at full rated output.

To size a PTO generator, figure 2HP per Kilowatt...so with your 23HP you could get about 12KW out of it.

B

bczoom

You could still run the 15kw genset, but not at full rated output.

To size a PTO generator, figure 2HP per Kilowatt...so with your 23HP you could get about 12KW out of it.
Help me out here.

Let's say you have a 15kw genset on a 23hp engine (scenario in this thread).

OK, you get the generator spinning to PTO RPM's.

If you put a 5-7kw load on, the tractor can handle it and purrs along.

If you put a 15kw load on it, won't it bog down? If so, voltage drops and a brown-out (low-voltage) situation occurs. AFAIK, a brown-out is worse than either a black-out or a power surge.

mobilus

Hey, guys...I've got two questions for you.

First, do the PTO generators require you to run at 540 RPM (PTO) to generate power? This seems really high, because my L2800 runs about 2400 RPM (engine) to be in that zone. If the load is low, could the genset be run at a lower RPM?

Second, I do have a regular generator and I'd like to store some gasoline in a larger container with a pump. Is there any problem with storing gas in a plastic 55 gallon drum instead of the plastic 5 gallon cans? And using a handpump for delivery instead of drain or syphoning?

Thanks for your input.

B

bczoom

First, do the PTO generators require you to run at 540 RPM (PTO) to generate power? This seems really high, because my L2800 runs about 2400 RPM (engine) to be in that zone. If the load is low, could the genset be run at a lower RPM?
As far as I know, yes, you do need 540 RPM (thus the concern in having too little HP in my previous post).

Second, I do have a regular generator and I'd like to store some gasoline in a larger container with a pump. Is there any problem with storing gas in a plastic 55 gallon drum instead of the plastic 5 gallon cans? And using a handpump for delivery instead of drain or syphoning?
Assuming the plastic drum is OK with storing gas, your only problems/concerns are safety (and possibly your insurance company). Most homeowners policies don't like storage in bulk. It depends on your policy or whether you're OK with the risk should have an incident and you're not covered.

kennyd

Help me out here.

Let's say you have a 15kw genset on a 23hp engine (scenario in this thread).

OK, you get the generator spinning to PTO RPM's.

If you put a 5-7kw load on, the tractor can handle it and purrs along.

If you put a 15kw load on it, won't it bog down? If so, voltage drops and a brown-out (low-voltage) situation occurs. AFAIK, a brown-out is worse than either a black-out or a power surge.

Sure, it will bog the engine down, thus lowering the RPM and Voltage. But just because you have a 15kw generator does not mean you have to pull that much.

It is far better to operate any generator at 1/2 to 3/4 max capacity anyway, so if you only ever try to pull 10-12kw from a 15kw generator you will be doing it a favor.

kennyd

Hey, guys...I've got two questions for you.

Thanks for your input.

As bcz said, you MUST run the generator at 540 RPM to get the proper voltage and frequency from it. A good generator should have both meters on it to assure you are running at the proper RPM. You should not relie on the tachometer to do this for you. You can also get a good DVM (digital volt meter) to check it if the generator does not have meters.

Storing gasoline is very problematic, not just from a safety standpoint-but it also goes "stale", and even adding stabilizers will only prolong the life for a short time. Deisel fuel can however be stored long term with proper additives and algecides added to it.

B

bczoom

Sure, it will bog the engine down, thus lowering the RPM and Voltage. But just because you have a 15kw generator does not mean you have to pull that much.
Planned pulling vs. something kicking on is my issue.
Let's say we're purring along pulling 10KW then the hot water tank or something else kind of big kicks on. That may bog it down. Well, any electronic appliance that's on and running (TV, microwave...) may very well be toast due to the low-voltage condition.

Due diligence to monitor what's running is your best bet but I guess I'm just warning about brown-out conditions and what will happen (having lived through a brown-out on commercial power). Electronic components are prepared for spikes or immediate shut down (black out) but most don't have a "low voltage" shutdown and therefore fry.