TC24D

Missy

Missy, I've never heard of the Kodiak, so it's hard to comment on it.
I've seen posts by folks who bought the KK hog and all were happy with it. I know Bush Hog makes a quality product, as I have a Bush Hog Rear finish mower. It is awesome. If you could swing the extra cash I'd go for that.
But I really believe the KK or Kodiac would probably work great for your needs. I prefer not to have to deal with a shear bolt. I'll presume none of the models you listed use the shear bolt but the slip clutch.
If they use the shear bold and you hit a stump that breaks the bolt, your are done until you replace the shear bolt. With the slip clutch you just wait for the cutter to get back up to speed and continue cutting.
Buy new if at all possible. The RC's lead a rough life, so best if you can start out with a fresh one.

Doc- I do know the Razorback had the slip clutch. The dealer was, like you, on the side of slip clutch.

jbrumberg

Missy & Mark:

You should definitely go with a rotary cutter with a slip clutch. A 60" medium duty RC will probably meet your needs. I got this out of "The Compact Tractor Bible"- I'll quickly summarize: PTO power is typically 2 HP/foot of cut for light duty rotary cutting; and 5 HP per foot of cut for rotary cutters capable of smashing 2"-diameter saplings. It also depends on what kind of brush and saplings you are cutting. Jay

PS: My avatar shows the kind of field grass I cut in my field as well as a lot of wild raspberries. I am always taking out Poplar saplings in the 1" - 1.5" diameter range, but Poplar is pretty soft. I will also take out sumac in the +2" range by backing into it with the RC. It does get a little loud :eek:

Last edited:

shinnlinger

You may have a cat "0" 3pth vs a cat "1" I think there is a thread on this here...try the search function..

You will want to know this before you get a RC also.

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Glad you guys are online- just to AG Supply about the auger- now they say we need the "compact sized" auger for our hitch size... ?? First anyone's mentioned that- not even the NH dealer said a word about it.

Any ideas?
Missy

My TC 18 is much smaller than your TC24 and I use a standard size SpeeCo Auger on mine. It drags the tip a little when traveling but if I go slow when drilling I have had no problem in our clay. I used it on my 17HP Yanmar before the TC18. I've used both the 9" and the 12" auger on both tractors. Your soil may be different and you'll get different results too.

jwstewar

Staff member
I use a full-size post hole digger on my tractor w/o any issues. My tip is probably 6 - 8" off the ground when it is completely up in the air. These tractors have "full-size" cat 1s on them so don't let them talk you into the smaller digger you won't be happy. From what I've seen these hitches have a little more "room" than a some of the little bit bigger Kubotas that I've seen.

As far as the cutter goes, I think you will find that any will do the job just fine as long as you don't abuse it. I've got the light duty King Kutter and have not had a problem with it. As a matter of fact, I have yet to break a shear pin. Have stalled the tractor a time or two by setting the cutter on a pile of dirt. I've knocked out some pretty impressive size trees with that cutter of mine. I'm sure the blades are knicked up pretty good. I know there is a least one dent on the time where something tried to come through:hide: At almost 5 years old, it has taken quite a bit of abuse. I don't see any reason it can't go another 10 - 15 years easily. I keep it in the garage and it doesn't even have any rust on it.

jbrumberg

jwstewar:

Thanks for the clarification on the full size Category 1 3PH :respect: . There are probably a lot of people out there in "Tractorland" who are currently unhappy with "ill fitting" attachments due to dealer "knowledge" :(.
Dirt piles, ant mounds, cow femurs have put more strain on my RC's than anything else (except maybe 7A's of Poplar saplings 1.5" - +2"). I tend to "remember the location of the boulders once discovered :eek: . Once you cut down a field you really got to stay ahead of nature. Jay :letitsnow:

Missy

:respect: JWSTAR and company:

You guys were worth every penny to join this site :beer:

Just knowing that we've got a CAT 1 3PH (like the big guys!) and not getting talked into the wrong thing is a huge relief.

But then again- these were the same folks who told me that the 40HP gearbox rating on the RC meant that my 24HP tractor couldn't manage it :yum: even I, the newbie, knew better than that.:nocomment:

So thanks again, and consider this one "A SAVE"
Missy:tiphat:

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
You guys were worth every penny to join this site :beer:

Doc, looks like you can raise the admission price :yum:

Just knowing that we've got a CAT 1 3PH (like the big guys!) and not getting talked into the wrong thing is a huge relief.

But then again- these were the same folks who told me that the 40HP gearbox rating on the RC meant that my 24HP tractor couldn't manage it
Missy:tiphat:

Another thing to watch is the weight of the cutter. Heavy duty is nice but if it is too heavy for your tractor to lift you'll have a problem like the cutter staying on the ground with the front of the tractor in the air :pat:

The neighbor has a 6' Woods that tips the scales at over 1300#'s It has a 150 hp gearbox but the tractor is only 50 hp. Think he needs a bigger tractor? :yum: