Where's this oil coming from?

adt2

Hey, folks - got a quick question. I was parked on the new workshop slab the other day unloading some material off the pallet forks on the back of the new tractor, and I noticed a small puddle of oil under the front of the tractor, just behind and inside of the right front tire (see photos below).

Before I panic, does anybody have any input? What is it, where's it coming from, how do I locate it, how do I fix it, etc?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Attachments

• 20140610_181822.jpg
    20140610_181822.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 20140610_181827.jpg
    20140610_181827.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 70

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Looks like it could be coming from anywhere, dripping into the loader frame, then to the ground. Since that stain is black it is probably motor oil and not hydraulic fluid leaking from a hose.

All you can do is trace it uphill to the source. Possibilities on the engine are where any of the components are bolted onto the side of the engine block, the valve cover gasket, or (on some models) the small tube that circles around the back of the block and delivers oil to the cylinder head. Note most of Yanmar's valve cover gaskets are semi-permanent. Molded rubber, or fiber embedded into a groove in the cover - so don't destroy the gasket taking it off.

Worst case would be the crankshaft rear main seal, out the back of the block near the flywheel. I hope that isn't the source.

LincTex

That does look like the rear main seal area...

Have you been under the tractor to see if it is in the same area as the flywheel?

adt2

Haven't been up under there yet...I'm swamped trying to finish the barn from hell and just haven't had time to mess with it. Theoretically I'm getting a roof next week, and hopefully I'll have some time to fool around with it after that.

adt2

I finally got some time to inspect this a little closer, and frankly I don't think I'm any closer to understanding where the oil is coming from. It doesn't start dripping until the tractor is good and hot, though, if that helps anybody. My best guess right now is maybe it's coming from a leaky oil filter?

The oil drips onto the angled red frame part shown in the pictures below. The oil filter is just above that area, a little to the right. I really can't get in there to see it very well. Not sure how to trace it without disassembling stuff.

I've got a new oil filter, but frankly I"m not sure how to get to the existing one to remove and replace it. It's behind the silver part with the little window in it, and there's not a lot of room in there to work. Does the silver piece come off?

Attachments

• IMG_20140723_194422.jpg
    IMG_20140723_194422.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20140723_194430.jpg
    IMG_20140723_194430.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 48

adt2

That seems like kind of a hassle to get to the oil filter. Wonder if there's any reason I couldn't remove it and cut a bigger "window" in it through which the filter could be removed?

adt2

I finally got around to removing the hood panels and inspecting the innards on the right-hand side of my F24. Unfortunately, I'm no closer to understanding where the dripping oil is coming from. In the attached image, I've got fluid dripping from three different places: near where the blue tube is sticking out in the center of the image (this appears to be oil); off the bottom of the electrical connector just to the left of the blue tube; and down the housing just left of the electrical connector (these last two appear to be fluid, not oil - maybe diesel? not sure).

My chief concern is the oil. If somebody could help me pinpoint that, I'd be grateful.

Attachments

• IMG_20141130_151346.jpg
    IMG_20141130_151346.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 24

LincTex

near where the blue tube is sticking out in the center of the image (this appears to be oil);If somebody could help me pinpoint that, I'd be grateful.

Is there any way to make this picture bigger?

That definitely looks like a diesel drip on the housing. I can't see enough to comment on the oil.