Radiator problems

williemakit

I have a radiator problem on my 1100 and I'm hoping someone can help me out. First let me say that I'm not to familar with the two radiator system. When the coolant system is full the temp gauge reads two bars steady. Today while plowing snow I noticed the gauge fluxing to three bars. I wanted to ck this out so I stopped for lunch and let the machjne cool down. When I popped the radiator cap under the hood the coolant was down.Where did the coolant go? I have no idea. it's not in the oil and no leakage can be found. Adding about 2 qts brought it back up to full. But there was still fluxing on the temp gauge Another question is why the overflow tank is not keeping the system topped off, it has plenty of coolant to do so. If anyone has any ideas on this I would be great full.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
first i need to ask is this an 1100? because an 1100 only has one radiator. if this is an X1100 then i would suspect the radiator cap especially if the overflow tank stays full. also be aware if this is an X1100 that there have been issues in the past with machines loosing coolant through the hose inner ply. most of these showed no or very little singe of leaks but new hoses solved the problem"i think"

hondajoe

coolant leakage

Well look under it overnight.This makes no since 2 qts half a gallon.Three bars is not over heating just normal temp.Is your over flow empty in the morning it should be if your leaking. The cooler temp makes a vacuum Sucking on the tank.Nothing in the pan I would say your leaking but the cap is as good place to start.That much leaking from the cap you should smell antifreeze as you drive look for a cold water leak.JOE

williemakit

Sorry for the delay reply to your posts aurthuritis and hondajoe but have been under the weather with the flu bug. You are right aurthuritis i have an X1100 model and forgot to state that. Hadn't thought of the cap being a possible problem area, good call. Will take the cap to my motorcoach repair guy and have him pressure test it, then go from there. Like I said Hondajoe no signs of leakage anywhere or antifreeze smell, only temp gauge fluxing as the coolant level goes down, which I keep a close eye on as I don't need to cook a motor. The machine doesn't get used much in the winter, only to plow snow during and after a snow storm. It takes me about 2 1/2 hrs each time when plowing. Thanks for your reply's guys. willie

reds

Williemakit,
I too had a similar problem on my 2013, 1100 that I bought used with very low hours. The overflow tank was going down slowly and couldn't find a leak or smell antifreeze. I finally found three very small leaks over a period of about six months. One was at the heater hose, one was at the water pump and the other was at the radiator hose. The leaks were very small and there were no signs of antifreeze on the ground or smell. I kept checking the oil and it was always OK. The only thing I can say is that you have to be diligent and wipe every joint with your finger until you spot something. Hope this helps, good luck, Reds.