TC40DA 3pt hydraulics issue

kenwill

I am experiencing a 3pt hydraulics issue on my 2004 TC40DA (only 515 hrs. on it) wherein the 3pt lifts just fine but goes down very slowly (with our without load--makes no difference). I changed the filter and fluid, but it did not correct the issue. Anyone have any suggestions? I appreciate any advice.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum!

Does this happen when the tractor is running or when it's shut down? Either way, it's commonly referred to as bleed down and most consider it an annoyance and not really a problem.

If it happens when the tractor is shut off, it happens on most tractors to some degree or another and it's normally due to fluid getting past seals and in my opinion, it's normal and nothing to be concerned with. Just make sure you lower any implements to the ground for safety reasons.

If it happens when the tractor is running, it can still be the seals but could also be something else (normally minor) leaking in the system. If you have a lot of money to tear into it go for it. Personally, I'd do one of 2 things.
1) Bump up your 3PH lift control (right side of seat) every once in awhile if it's gone down.
2) Set your 3PH to the height you want then close the lowering speed control valve (don't know on your TC but it's normally a black knob between your legs. Just close it all the way and that should stop it from going down.

kenwill

Thank you for the reply.

The problem occurs only when lowering the 3pt and either when the engine is running or shut off. I didn't realize the TC40DA had a "lowering control valve" but I'll look for it. If so, it could be a simple solution.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
My bad. Now that I re-read your original post, it does sound like your "lowering control valve". I read it as your 3-point is going down on its own.

If it's going down slow it's most likely that adjustment. If there is no implement on the 3-point, even with that valve opened, it's common for them to go down slow due to weight. If you want them down so you can connect an implement, just push them down with your arm (so long as that valve is somewhat open).

That valve/knob we're talking about should be adjusted based on the implement you have connected. If you don't adjust, a heavy implement comes crashing down while a light implement takes forever to lower.

Once I connect the implement, I hop in the seat and lift the implement. I then reach for that knob and close the valve all the way. I lower the 3PH control arm (to the right of the seat) all the way. I slowly open the valve between my legs until I like the speed the implement is lowering then leave it there..

I just grabbed this pic off the internet. I see 2 knobs under the seat. The upper looks like it's for some sort of seat adjustment. If so, I'm guessing the lower is the knob/valve we're looking for. Hopefully once you get in close and wipe the dust off, you'll see something on the knob or a sticker nearby that says what it is.

1143.jpg

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
You're quite welcome.

Please post back and let us know if you got it fixed up. This may help others as well as let us know which of the knobs it is on your tractor.

kenwill

The "fix" definitely worked! The 3pt hydraulic control valve, located on the base of the seat, between the operator's legs, was accidentally shut completely off not allowing the 3pt to descend. Thank you so much for your reply.