Battery Tie Down

v10rick

Site Supporter
Hello from a new member who recently acquired a 2006 RTV900 Camo.

PO used a rubber bungee cord to hold the battery in place.
Kubota wants $42.69 for just the holder.

Did a search but found nothing helpful, maybe I am using the wrong search words.

Can anyone here recommend a reasonably priced solution?
The bungee cord spoils the look.

Also the headlights are full of moisture, the lens is cloudy.
The RTV will not be driven after sunset, but just in case.
Are there any budget friendly substitutes?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome ! What about a small piece of all thread cut to fit for each side,bolts on ends or maybe gently (or it will break) bend into a hook for the bottom I'd go with the bolts if possible.... and a small piece of angle for the top horizontal piece drilled and lined up to fit the factory bottom holes . Lowe's has such in their little metal goods dept. My battery has a thin rubber flap on top that fits under the horizontal piece and so is secured when the bolts are tightened. bordercollie

edit : On the headlights, I had that happen on a different machine brand and I used a small drill bit to drain the water out of them . You could remove the bulb socket and either use a hair dryer on cool or such and dry our the inside of them. That is an option but I imagine there are better ways than that. Look and see if you can tell how the water got in.

Last edited:

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
Hello from a new member who recently acquired a 2006 RTV900 Camo.

PO used a rubber bungee cord to hold the battery in place.
Kubota wants $42.69 for just the holder.

Did a search but found nothing helpful, maybe I am using the wrong search words.

Can anyone here recommend a reasonably priced solution?
The bungee cord spoils the look.

Also the headlights are full of moisture, the lens is cloudy.
The RTV will not be driven after sunset, but just in case.
Are there any budget friendly substitutes?

Pictures?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
The pic below is from the Amazon link that Jim Slagle posted. This is similar to what was on my 06 RTV 900 as original eq (I think). Sure is cheaper than the replacement from Kubota.

Attachments

• BatteryHolddownClip.jpg
    BatteryHolddownClip.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 105

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new-to-you RTV!

For the battery, I'm pretty sure I went with the cheaper ones from a car parts store.

For the lights, Bordercollie's reply works well or remove the bulb socket and park it with the lights in the sun for a few hours to burn the humidity out.

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
V10rick

Welcome to the RTV Forum. Lots of good folks here.

Looks like a trip to Walmart or a auto parts store will get you a ready made battery hold down.

You might want to review past posts regarding lights. All sorts of options and fixes. If you want to improve your RTV lighting 100%, look into LED add on lights. There is a ton of information on those lights here on the Forum.

Lots of luck.

Keifer

v10rick

Site Supporter
Thanks everyone for your interest and information. I did as suggested and visited Advance Auto. They had a tie down that fit my battery perfectly, priced at 1/4 of the OEM part.

BTW my garden tractor is a Kubota BX2350 with loader and belly mower. Owned for 9 years it been an awesome hard working machine. Used primarily for mowing it has pushed boulders and towed a Vermeer chipper around the property. This diesel BX has been 100% reliable and exceeds my expectations in every respect.

I am hoping the RTV900 reliabilty matches the BX, mostly for transporting myself and skidding logs occasionally.

Messicks said it was first registered in AK (I am in VA), judging from the corn stuck underneath the bedliner probably farm use.

With 1200hrs its in fair to good condition. I am fussy about my equipment so when its looking like it should pics will be posted.

BTW this site has been tremendously helpful. To learn the trials and tribulations of RTV ownership I scanned every post from 2006 to date. Seems that the issues are similar to the BX2350 diesel, overheating is one. Transmission issues not so much, probably because the need to shift between high and low gears is seldom required.

Last edited:

v10rick

Site Supporter
V10rick

Welcome to the RTV Forum. Lots of good folks here.

Looks like a trip to Walmart or a auto parts store will get you a ready made battery hold down.

You might want to review past posts regarding lights. All sorts of options and fixes. If you want to improve your RTV lighting 100%, look into LED add on lights. There is a ton of information on those lights here on the Forum.

Lots of luck.

Keifer

Thanks for the LED suggestion. Certain this will be perfect for my use but I am wondering about light bar mounting. I prefer not to drill holes in the canopy, is there an aftermarket clamp that attaches to the RTV roll cage?

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for the LED suggestion. Certain this will be perfect for my use but I am wondering about light bar mounting. I prefer not to drill holes in the canopy, is there an aftermarket clamp that attaches to the RTV roll cage?

Theres several threads about led lighting on the forum.

All kinds of brackets and clamps at the hardware store. Look around at what's available before you buy a light so its a better fit. I’ve used rubber lined clamps on similar projects.

Doesn’t your canopy have a couple of bolts close to the front? You could use those.

Jim

Attachments

• 135A14AF-07D9-4B04-81D3-F1D854C1343A.jpeg
    135A14AF-07D9-4B04-81D3-F1D854C1343A.jpeg
    26.7 KB · Views: 79

v10rick

Site Supporter
Theres several threads about led lighting on the forum.

All kinds of brackets and clamps at the hardware store. Look around at what's available before you buy a light so its a better fit. I’ve used rubber lined clamps on similar projects.

Doesn’t your canopy have a couple of bolts close to the front? You could use those.

Jim

Duh...I did not realize the canopy has U bolts going through it. This should provide a secure mounting point. I must research this option further.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Just be careful if you're mounting to a location that's higher than the existing roof line. If you have a standard 6.5' garage door, lights on top of the roof may make you too high. Don't ask how I know... I now only park in the garage with the 8' doors. ;)

v10rick

Site Supporter
Just be careful if you're mounting to a location that's higher than the existing roof line. If you have a standard 6.5' garage door, lights on top of the roof may make you too high. Don't ask how I know... I now only park in the garage with the 8' doors. ;)

Thanks for the fyi...my garage doors are 8' tall.

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Do some research of past posts regarding clamps that work well with the RTV roll cage. I think bczoom, bordercollie and others use these clamps.