What used tractor to get?

lb59

I'm looking for a used garden tractor that will handle a blade on the front and a tiller on the back.
Need hydraulic or elect lift for the blade and tiller.
What brands and models would you recommend?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
How much are you wanting to spend?

Kubota could fit the bill, or a Simplicity could do it cheaper. Big difference is the Simplicity doesn't have a 3PH. It has a drive for the tiller with a long shaft that connects underneath the tractor where the mower is normally run from. It was a bear to hook up, but it worked good once on the tractor.
If you could afford a Kubota, New Holland or any CUT with a 3ph that would make hook up and using the tiller a lot easier.

Mark777

How much are you wanting to spend?

Kubota could fit the bill, or a Simplicity could do it cheaper. Big difference is the Simplicity doesn't have a 3PH. It has a drive for the tiller with a long shaft that connects underneath the tractor where the mower is normally run from. It was a bear to hook up, but it worked good once on the tractor.
If you could afford a Kubota, New Holland or any CUT with a 3ph that would make hook up and using the tiller a lot easier.

Great advice Doc.

I'm amazed what people have done with their lawn and garden tractors. They've spent small fortunes by customizing, adding attachments and personalizing their equipment for the immediate and future on-site tasks. But...

There is a point where the amount of property maintenance, landscape, and improvements outweigh the original tractors design. A SCUT, new or used will have the cat 1 or 0 with a 2PT or 3PH, PTO and necessary hydraulics that are easily spliced for remote connection. In your case a front hydraulic blade or an already equipped rig with a FEL. A small diesel is a big plus as they will run for decades with the minimum of routine maintenance.

I've found it nearly impossible to explain the advantages of using-owning a diesel unless the perspective buyer has rented, borrowed, used and operated one for (only) a few hours. I'm not suggesting you run out and buy one. I am suggesting the your requirements and implements would make a much less frustrating transition to a tractor platform already setup for the equipment needed stated in your post.

Mark

Mith

I see in your profle, LB, that you already have 2 front blades, and 2 tillers. I'd think you'd be best off buying a machine to fit those, so you dont have to buy a new front blade and tiller.
With 2.33 acres, I think you are looking at something more along the lines of a garden tractor.
Simplicity springs to mind as having the capability to have 2 attachments mounted at 1 time.

lb59

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1*How much are you wanting to spend?
2*Kubota could fit the bill, or a
3*Simplicity could do it cheaper.
Big difference is the Simplicity doesn't have a 3PH.
4*It has a drive for the tiller with a long shaft that connects underneath the tractor where the mower is normally run from.
5*It was a bear to hook up, but it worked good once on the tractor.
6*If you could afford a Kubota, New Holland or any CUT with a 3 ph that would make hook up and using the tiller a lot easier
::::::::::::::::::::::::::

1*Something new or used 3000 to 6500 depending on age condition hours how it's equipped and what it is.
2*I would love to have a Kubota BX1500 as it's perfect for what I have in mind.
Unfortunately it's outside the budget limit of 6500 dollars.
3*I could go for one if the price was right.
4* Sounds like the same set up the Old Bolens tractors use.
5*I plan on leaving the tiller on the tractor.
Since I wouldn't be changing it back and forth from on and off that shouldn't be too big of a deal.
6*As I said I wouldn't be changing the tiller back and forth so a 3 point isn't that urgent.

Last edited:

lb59

1*Something new or used 3000 to 6500 depending on age condition hours how it's equipped and what it is.
2*I would love to have a Kubota BX1500 as it's perfect for what I have in mind.
3*I could go for one if the price was right.
4* Sounds like the same set up the Old Bolens tractors use.
5*I plan on leaving the tiller on the tractor.
Since I wouldn't be changing it back and forth from on and off that shouldn't be too big of a deal.
6*As I said I wouldn't be changing the tiller back and forth so a 3 point isn't that urgent.
part 2
TO MITH
1*Yep a garden tractor is what I'm looking for.
2*I've Considered the Kubota BX 1500 JD x455 and CC 2500 or 3000 series .
The BX 1500 is way over my budget allowance and the JD455 is nearly over it and I'd still have to have the tiller and front blade for the 455.
I'm at $4400 for CC 2554 with tiller but no price worked out on an elect lift /tilt front blade yet.

The purpose of this thread was to uncover other brands and models that I might consider also.
Thanks for suggesting simplicity- I will have to check them out.

Mark777

1*...

Mr Brown, LB...Dude :),

I can find you a 2 or 3 cylinder diesel tractor, around or under 1000 hours WITH a 44"-48" PTO driven tiller for half of your budget. And I can find one with the tiller AND a recognized FEL and still keep you at or under $6500. This is a straight up, no bull offer for your predicament.

IMHO you are pondering on How to change, adapt or convert you very fine existing machines and eventually you may discover they won't take the abuse beyond their capabilities.