mx5100f

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
I just purchased a 2014 MX5100f basic tractor used with 30 hours on it. it is a basic tractor without remote hydraulics but does have a FEL. this is my first Kubota tractor so if any one has any advice it would be welcomed.

Merry Christmas

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Congrats on the tractor. Sounds like a mighty nice one. Santa was good to you.
What do you plan to use it for? What kind of tires do you have on (Ag or R4 aka industrial) Turf tires are another possibility but I have not seen them on 50hp tractors.

You will grow to love the FEL. They are an awesome back saver. I use mine for so much more than I ever dreamed when I first bought.

If using the tractor on steep hills go straight up and down as much as possible and be sure to have the tires loaded. Loaded tires help to stabilize and lower the center of gravity so you won't tip. I'm sure it has a seat belt. Use it. If you find yourself rolling over keep arms in close. If you hold them out you might get one pinned under the ROP (Roll Bar).
Tractoring is relaxing and you can get so much accomplished, but be sure to think about what you are doing so as to stay safe and not get hurt. Once in trouble things happen so quick you don't have time to think about what is happening.

Merry Christmas

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
Thanks Doc that is great advice for me or anyone else for that matter.I had a 2020 JD since the 60's but have since replaced that with this Kubota. the old deere had a front loader also and life just isn't complete on the ranch without one. I haven't taken delivery yet so i don't really know how the Kubota will compare with the old tractor. i do know the tractor isn't weighted yet and it does have ag tires so i need some ballast. I had calcium in the deere and wheel weights in the rims also. how much weight can these tractors handle?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Calcium isn't the best choice anymore. Actually, it's about the worst.

Rim Guard (aka beet juice) or windshield wiper fluid are a better way to go. It won't eat your rims and isn't toxic if/when it leaks out.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
(beet juice) is it really beet juice? I have been researching Rim Guard and it weighs almost the same as calcium. I will talk to the dealer today about wheel weights today.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I think it is actually beet juice.

Do you have a tire place that services large equipment (18-wheelers and farm equipment)? If so, try them. I called and let them I wanted to fill my tires but not in a hurry. We arranged that they would come out and fill when in the area. Doing this, they didn't charge for the service call to come out.

GreenWannabe

Gold Site Supporter
According to what I've seen, the 5100 will take a maximum of three weights per wheel, 103 lbs. each. Weight is definitely your friend, especially rear weight with a front loader. You will probably find that your tractor feels less tippy if you have a heavy implement on the three point hitch as well as the loaded tires and maximum real wheel weights.

Good luck with your new tractor, and enjoy!