Side rails X1100 disappointed

maplenut

I've seen the sticky on side rails and really liked the idea. So last week when I picked up my new 2104 x1100 I had the back window screen included as part of the deal. My plan was to use 1" tubing and run boards on the 2 sides as others have done with the window screen .

Wrong! I don't know if it will work on the previous1100 models but on the 2104 you cannot put a 1" tube in the front ( near the window) , the bracket for the window screen is in the way. I think kubota might have overlooked something ??????

VA1100

Maplenut,
I have a 2014 X1100c, but don't have the back window screen on my unit. I used a piece of 3/8" Lexan attached to the 1" square aluminum bars with another piece of 1" square aluminum running on top of the bed rail (bottom of the Lexan) at the front of the bed for a stiffener and to keep anything from falling out the front of the bed and down on the engine. I then used 1/4" Lexan on both sides and ran it down far enough that it overlapped the inside of the bed by a couple of inches to keep it from being pushed out at the bottom. On the back tubes I bent an angle out of steel and fastened it into another piece of 1" tubing that is running across the top and slipped it into the vertical 1" tubing, this keeps the sides from spreading when it is loaded with wood, but is easy to remove when needed. The advantage of the Lexan is that since it is clear when the bed is empty it doesn't block my view out the back, also Lexan is impact resistant. There is about 1/4" of cleareance between the front piece of Lexan and the bracket that holds the window screen, I've attached some pictures of what it looks like.

Pete

Attachments

• NCM_0274.jpg
    NCM_0274.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 411
  • NCM_0275.jpg
    NCM_0275.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 406
  • NCM_0263.jpg
    NCM_0263.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 410

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
I have an 1100C without the rear screen also. what if you put the screen on the inside of the bracket??

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
maplenut;

I have a 2012 1100 with a rear screen and have the same problem you have. The front bed upright channels are located under the screen so you can't put any upright supports there and still be able to raise the bed. VA100 has a nice set up with the see through panels but does'nt look like he is using the rear OEM window screen. I am trying to design a work-around (offset) so I can have some kind of bed rails and still use the rear screen and, be able to raise the bed.

Oh, by the way maplenut, send some photos of that 2104 1100 model. It must be way ahead of its time and Kubota has all the quirks engineered out of it. lol

keifer

Kanook

Here is how I built the rails on my 04 RTV900...I cut slits in the 1 x 1 , bent to desired shape and then welded the compreesed slits closed. I would not have been able to operate the hydraulic box otherwise. I bolted rather than weld the side rails to the front simply to make them easier to remove (hard to shimmy all 4 posts simultaneously)...but I've never had cause to remove them.

Not sure if this would apply to 1100's...just my 2 cents.:myopinion:

Attachments

• rail1.jpg
    rail1.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 398
  • rail2.jpg
    rail2.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 397
  • rail3.JPG
    rail3.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 395
  • rail4.jpg
    rail4.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 391

thunderdome

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Kanook, that is a real neat job. Would like to have some bedrails on my buggie but knew I would have to do something like that. The pictures may have lit a fire under me to get busy and make a set. Mine has the rear screen and I think Kubota should have set the bed back enough to use the stake holes in the bed. IMG_0148.jpg

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Really great ......GREAT........Fab job there..KANOOK>>>>.that's fabrication...NOT fabulous, which it is.........anyway good work

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
You can see the problem from these photos.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 324

Kanook

Keifer....glad you posted the 3rd photo....The other 2 had me thinking the bed wouldn't lift without removing the screen. A variation of my 900 'fab' fab should work.

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Keifer, if you just unbolted the clip and the mounting plate it looks like you could gain an inch or so. If that was enough clearance for the bed and the rear window, we can come up with several ways to hold the lower window in place. Bob

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Kanook, when the bed is raised, it clears the rear screen by less than 1/2 inch. Yes, I think a variation of your fab-fab work would work. How much wood can a wood chuck chuck? lol

p.s. the screen is hinged on top to be able to raise it up and clean the outside of the rear window glass.

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Avantiguy, I think the welded on bracket that holds the rear screen retainer clip is still in the way. Looks like I'll need to fab-fab some kind of off set for the front uprights.

maplenut

Thanks for posting those pics. I should have done it been I've been extremely busy cutting wood for maple season.

I did try something , I removed those clips and installed my homemade bed standards with side boards and a 8" board for the rail under the screen. The bed will lift just fine but when it closes it's tight to the round tube on the window screen . I think if you flatten that round tube and maybe zip tie it to the bracket it would work. I took the screen off for now and may return it ? Not sure what to do.

On another note , I installed a Boss V plow! ☺

Attachments

• 20150113_114122.jpg
    20150113_114122.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 314
  • 20150119_113359.jpg
    20150119_113359.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 315
  • 20150119_113410.jpg
    20150119_113410.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 315

OrangeBuggy

Did you use the excuse that you needed a plow up front to act as a counter weight for all of the firewood? LOL... Nice looking set-up.

maplenut

Did you use the excuse that you needed a plow up front to act as a counter weight for all of the firewood? LOL... Nice looking set-up.

Nope, I told the Chief Financial Officer ( aka wife) that it was a plow or we were gonna go to HD and buy 2 shovels , one for each of her hands!