First mow of the season

My wife has mowed around the house a couple of times so far. I'm going to see about getting the brush hog back together so I can do the pastures.
Daughter helped me get the brush hog back together last Sat. I got almost all the pastures cut before the floods (heavy rains) came. :cool:

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
We were lucky, we only got 3/4 " today.

This has been a strange year in East Texas. The wind has either been blowing about 40 mph or the rain has been pelting down.

I filled the sprayer up with water about 3 weeks ago to spray the yard with weedkiller and it's been sitting there ever since. I've never had a day when it hasn't been pouring or howling since. It's getting less likely to get done 'cos I'll have to mow the yard again first and then mow the pasture before I get back to even thinking about spraying.

Ah well, no sense in getting frustrated. It'll all work out in the end.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Daughter helped me get the brush hog back together last Sat. I got almost all the pastures cut before the floods (heavy rains) came. :cool:
How far apart did you have it?
I moved my bush hog sround last weekend, didn't have time to put it on the tractor. Need to do that soon though before the fields & trails get out of control.
I can't explain why I enjoy bush hoggin but I'd like the wife or son do the mowing anytime they want. It's not my favorite chore by far.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I moved my bush hog sround last weekend, didn't have time to put it on the tractor. Need to do that soon though before the fields & trails get out of control.
I can't explain why I enjoy bush hoggin but I'd like the wife or son do the mowing anytime they want. It's not my favorite chore by far.

GreenWannabe

Gold Site Supporter
We've had rain every day except one for the past week. The news this morning said we had more than 7 inches out of the latest storm. They are not projecting another dry day until at least next Tuesday. I went out day before yesterday, our one dry day, and the lawn was too soggy to mow. I wonder how high the grass is going to be after two weeks of rain? I guess the drought is over down here now - two years ago, we were in the middle of the extreme dtought area, and still had major drought last year.

Erik

the weatherman on the radio this morning was talking about the beautiful day we had to look forward to with no rain in sight until maybe tonight.
While he was saying this I was toweling off the puppy - who had stepped outside for his morning leak. Now we're in a tornado watch with mostly clear skies...

Wasn't too far apart... Just looked broken.
The old deere wouldn't run the hog fast enough to chop through any on the big ant mounds one encounters, you know the ones! So it broke the deck and allowed the gear box to tilt, the blades hit the bottom of the deck. I had to take the gear box loose, beat the deck back and weld it up

I finished cutting tonight. So now I have some post to dig up while the ground is soft.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I finished cutting tonight. So now I have some post to dig up while the ground is soft.

How do you 'dig' them up? By hand? :eek: Last ones I had to take out I used the FEL to push em partway over. Made em real easy to take out. :thumb:

more rain.
flooding to the South of us.

More rain is predicted here. Minor flooding so far. The river is a mess. :(

jwstewar

Staff member
We've been a bit late starting to mow. Partly because of the rain and partly because I didn't have the mower deck on because I've been working on trying to plant grass up around the house. I was finally able to get the deck cleaned up and the blades sharpened and put it on April 23. Monica then mowed on April 24. I then mowed again last Saturday and then again yesterday. Finally starting to get it under control so that when I mow it doesn't look like I'm trying to bale hay.:pat: Now about that grass I planted. I figured it all washed away after I planted it. The weatherman said showers. I think I saw Noah going down the road.:yum: I was sure surprised when the ground started looking like a Chia pet.:wink: I might have to throw some more down, but for now, the frequent rains really have it coming up. Too bad it is been too wet to put down that bag of starter fertilizer I bought.:pat:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
First Mow of 2010

We've been doing this thread a few years now. This is the 1st time I mowed for the 1st time in March (I think). I'll have to dig up the other threads to be sure.
Anyway: I ended up mowing 1/2 the yard tonight for the first time this year. I normally mow 4 acres but the 1/2 the dogs have fertilized grows faster than the other half further from the house. So I fired up the mower and all went well. The mowing season has started for me. How about you?

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Mine might be this weekend if the ground is dry enough. I neglected the yard last fall and now it's turning green. The leach field is about 6" now and very green.

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
No, not yet. Parts of the pasture are growing pretty good but the yard is ok at present. I did spray a little herbicide today just to keep the early season weeds in check but it'll be a couple of weeks before I have start cutting the yard itself. Still, many more of these 80 degree days and I may have to revise that estimate. I don't know if I'm looking forward to it or not this year.

Cowboy

Gold Site Supporter
Only about half of ours is greening up due to lack of rain so it makes it a pain to mow . I,ve been mowing the last 2 evenings & still aint done to darn hard to tell where I,ve allread mowed except for spots with tall weeds in the pasture . Hopefully we,ll get some rain soon :tiphat: .

Wife took a few action shots last nite . I dont like wasting fuel so I try to bring a bucket of dirt back every time from the river bank to level off where I tore a bulding out last year :tiphat:

Attachments

• P3310016.JPG
    P3310016.JPG
    156.9 KB · Views: 365
  • P3310014.JPG
    P3310014.JPG
    166.9 KB · Views: 358
  • P3310007.JPG
    P3310007.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 356
  • P3310017.JPG
    P3310017.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 357
Last edited:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good pics Cowboy. :thumb:
Yep, yours is every bit as green as mine. Some of the slow growing areas have the yellow grass still and I would have trouble seeing where the line between mowed and not mowed was if I mowed there this time.
I have my mower deck set to 4 1/2 inches and was surprised more areas of the yard than I thought could benefit from mowing. It's taller than it looks, at least until I got out there and cut a path or two.
I posted about having work done my my Scag ZTR at the end of last season. I wanted to give it a good try out before the grass was in dire need of mowing just in case they did not fix it correctly. I was glad all went smooth.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Mine will be do this weekend.

4-1/2"???? I mow mine at 3" and in the fall, 2.5"

Erik

since it keeps raining Friday/Saturday, it's too wet to mow -- my mower is going in for its annual tune-up/service Friday, so I will hopefully be able to use it next week (if the ground dries)
Pastures and hayfield are looking good, though.

Cowboy - I'm diappointed in you. I don't see any toolboxes or cupholders on the new tractor yet! it's been at least 2 weeks since you got it, where are they? :)

Cowboy

Gold Site Supporter
since it keeps raining Friday/Saturday, it's too wet to mow -- my mower is going in for its annual tune-up/service Friday, so I will hopefully be able to use it next week (if the ground dries)
Pastures and hayfield are looking good, though.

Cowboy - I'm diappointed in you. I don't see any toolboxes or cupholders on the new tractor yet! it's been at least 2 weeks since you got it, where are they? :)

Funny you should mention that Erik , thats my next move :wink: . My cooly with my beverage sits nice right on the flat top of the gearbox & really handy . On my other one I just super glued it on & bolted the toolboxes to the top of the fenders :pat: . This one I want to plan it out a bit better :wink: . Allthough I cant swear I wont get in a hurry & do it the same way . :pat: . Heck I may even wash this one . :hide: .

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I can't tell for sure Cowboy but I don't see the toothbar on your FEL yet. You'll like how much better she'll dig once you put that on. :D :thumb:

I'd be interested in your cupholder solution ...or anyone who had come up with a good solution for a cupholder. I've procrastinated on this for a couple of years now. I've been squeezing my huggy between the seat and fender. When I blew that front tire a couple weekends ago what a mess that made. :bonk: