Time for New Cooling Fan

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Ok, I've had the fan for a couple of weeks and will say it is better than the original! The temperature never goes past 1/3 and I work the heck out of it. In the past, I've always watched the temperature go up some as I stressed the unit when the oem was in use and it would then would stay elevated as the oem kicked in until after the stress was over. It seems that this Flex fan keeps a more consistent temperature . Again never going past 1/3. I think it just may be more powerful in the cfm output. If you ever need an electric fan, check out this flex a lite fan it is the 12" and was a breeze to mount- and again so reasonable from Amazon - and made in the USA. ! bordercollie

Pinnacle

Ok, I've had the fan for a couple of weeks and will say it is better than the original! The temperature never goes past 1/3 and I work the heck out of it. In the past, I've always watched the temperature go up some as I stressed the unit when the oem was in use and it would then fall as the oem kicked in. It seems that this fan keeps a more consistent temperature . Again never going past 1/3. I think it just may be more powerful in the cfm output. If you ever need an electric fan, check out this flex a lite fan it is the 12" and was a breeze to mount- and again so reasonable from Amazon. bordercollie

Bonus, I'm in Bordercollie, I'll be getting one for my rig based on your guinea pig trials. Thanks !

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Good Luck Pinnacle, Just unbolt and slide the heat shield out of the way and the fan shield to gain room and have at it. Good Luck! bordercollie

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
One more thing I forgot to mention is that it really helps to remove the perforated shield under the radiator. This makes removing the 2 bottom bolts in the oem shroud way easier,plus you can check the carrier bearing while under there. bordercollie

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
we just take the whole radiator off and put it in an ice chest cooler filled with water and that purple degreaser from wall mart. just let it soak overnight then rinse it out the next day and reinstall it. it's best to do this once a year when riding in alot of mud or dusty areas. i think it's recomended to change out the coolant every year so when you drop the radiator change the coolant at the same time and flush the engine real good too.

SpudHauler

Site Supporter
If you are using Purple Power cleaner, remember it is corrosive and will be harmful to the aluminum and other soft metals if not properly rinsed afterwards. :14_6_12:

Wash it with clean water after and do a thorough job or later you will see corrosion that you don't want.

My experience with a motorcycle carburetor was that it seized the brass choke plunger in the aluminum body because it was hidden by a rubber boot and got past the boot. Sitting there it cause havoc that we didn't notice until months later. Big job to save carburetor.

Moral, rinse well and watch for areas it can get trapped in and you can't rinse later, so apply only where necessary.

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
we rinse them really good after sometimes we even dip them in dawn after the purple cleaner. you have to mix that purple cleaner just right if not it won't take off anything.something better is rigwash now that stuff will cut through some stuff but i can't find a place locally to buy it .i only get some when i go to the boats to help my brother.

Pinnacle

One more thing I forgot to mention is that it really helps to remove the perforated shield under the radiator. This makes removing the 2 bottom bolts in the oem shroud way easier,plus you can check the carrier bearing while under there. bordercollie

Bordercollie, need to see what you think of this ......... as I am slightly perplexed.

a) installed new Flexlite fan. simple, no brainer, tested before installed, Good.
b) checked fuse, good
c) checked relay, good, but installed a new one anyways to be certain
d) checked temp sensor with lighted test prong ( one end clamped to + on battery and then test temp sender tang when engine hot ) seems to be giving signal to activate fan / light comes on in test tool )

End result ? = NODDA, hot engine with no fan activation, had to park unit to allow to cool off.

Notes : am certain new fan connections are good, tested them and they are heat shrink sealed. Fuse good, did cont test on it. Relay is reading around 90-100 ohms, same as old one that came out, and is brand new

Thoughts ? Am at a bit of a loss on why fan isn't getting signal and coming on, and it is really ticking me off. Don't have trailer to get unit to dealer, and really don't want to if I don't need to.

?????????

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
How did you wire it up? To be a pusher or a puller. If you wired it to be a pusher then the fan blade must be turned around or it won't do right.(it won't draw the air because the blade would be headed wrong. I USED MINE JUST AS IT CAME- TO BE A PULLER-that what the oem was. To keep it a puller, the wiring must be to be contrary to the colors- BLUE TO BLACK ETC. I think this is your problem . Here's a picture. Bordercolllie

Attachments

• DSCF3134.JPG
    DSCF3134.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 140

Pinnacle

How did you wire it up? To be a pusher or a puller. If you wired it to be a pusher then the fan blade must be turned around or it won't do right.(it won't draw the air because the blade would be headed wrong. I USED MINE JUST AS IT CAME- TO BE A PULLER-that what the oem was. To keep it a puller, the wiring must be to be contrary to the colors- BLUE TO BLACK ETC. I think this is your problem . Here's a picture. Bordercolllie

Negatory, that is not the issue. I have mine wired the same way with factory plug and blue / black and heat sealed butt connectors, same as you've used. Issue is, fan is not being triggered to come on, relay is new, fuse is good, and temp sender appears to be sending signal for fan to come on, but .......... no fan activation.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
So we know the problem is not with the fan since you tested it - so we can eliminate that It has no sensor but comes on when it gets the power sent to it...Tracing backwards , you know for sure the connections are good.. So the problem must indeed be in the signal not getting sent to it. I didn't change anything when I installed mine and used the oem relay etc. If I were in your boat I would start from the end of the wires and go backwards checking. I once had wires pull loose in what I thought was great connection- I know nothing but the most basic stuff about wiring . Were you having issues with the oem? I've got to go to work but will check back soon. maybe someone else has ideas and will chime in. bordercollie

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
Did you wire it striaght to the battery to check the fan? And while your at it ge a tube of dieelctric grease and pack all connections with it . Hope you get it goin soon

Pinnacle

yes, OEM was not working either, so I thought fan was bad, changed it. Fuse was good and is good. Changed relay, as when I found fuse good, and fan was new, thought that might be it. Changed that. Still no fan activation.

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
that connection in collies pis is what went out on my buddy's rhino mine also went out becaue of a loose connection so use alot of dieeltric grease on it to ensure the best curent flow you can.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
What Peanut said makes a lot of sense. Maybe by pass that connector and see what happens? bordercollie

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
that's what i like about the bota people in here . no matter what problem you have we all come together to help even the ones without an rtv try to chime in.

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
the one that went out on my buddies rhino was just a wire that wasn't crimped enough and it worked loose so in your spare time get the grease and take all your fitting apart and grease them that way you can find any loose or broken connections you have.

Pinnacle

Thanks guys for all your input. Went back late yesterday and did some more tests. Still nodda when the machine gets hot. Hot wired fan from plug, which includes my crimps = good, fan works. Then put dielectric grease on all electrical connections while I was at it, including fan plug, fan fuse which I did continuity test on, new relay and also all sensor plugs on the engine. Hmmmm beginning to wonder if the temp sensor is the culprit, as the rest looks good as best as I can determine.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Yep,The process of elimination.I thought you had checked that in your comment on 5/9/11 - but that is about all that's left. I would sure try it.Let us know what a new one costs. - I'll be out today but would like to know. Good Luck!!!!!!!! bordercollie