Homemade RTV Console

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
This is a work in progress so forgive the rough look. I am working on it as I can. The work ahead on it will have to be put on hold for a few days as the cow work is getting heavy starting tomorrow.
I started with exterior grade plywood and drew everything out with a pencil. I rode around with that mounted to make sure it wasn't in the way and if the arrangement would work o.k. for me. Then I decided I wanted sides on it and also wanted to add a hole for the binoculars so I just went nuts with it.... Here goes for those wanting to do their own building and save some $ over the fancy one. I only bought some fiberglass with the cloth and the sunglasses holder / light combo since I already had paint , speakers ,the radio and control panel.By the way, the picture is upside down. The 2 small round holes are for my speakers and the larger hole (in the bottom side) is for the sunglasses/light gizmo. The part that will house the control panel, binoculars and radio is the narrow piece facing the camera. I am using the clamps recommended by BCzoom that I ordered last month off of ebay . Loosening the main T bolt, will let me mount the edge along the front with the wing nuts but will swing down so I can hook up the components with all the weight being a problem.
I will post pictures of the completed project when I can-. bordercollie :doggy:

Attachments

• DSCF4060.JPG
    DSCF4060.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 860
  • DSCF4063.JPG
    DSCF4063.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 819
  • DSCF4066.JPG
    DSCF4066.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 820

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
A few pictures I forgot....

Attachments

• DSCF4013.JPG
    DSCF4013.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 818
  • DSCF4021.JPG
    DSCF4021.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 814

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
hey bordercollie,
That is Super ..... I like your idea's !!!!!

......... jamie

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Friends. I have a long way to go on getting it finished. Yes ya'll are right about the shop. It is a mess.My workshop has 2 doors and one of them is a sliding door that is blocked by the distillers grain for the cows.. Well ,the door slid ajar while the 18 wheeler was unloading and I got a pile of that stuff in my shop. I have about loaded out that trailer's worth (22 tons) and was able to open the door. I moved a lot of things around and got the shop vac out to suck up what I couldn't shovel. What a mess. It got all in my stained glass and in my parts boxes... what a mess- also the fact that I don't throw anything away that has even a little chance of being used. One good thing about that though- I have stuff when I need it.. haha bordercollie

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Good job BUD........It's YOUR shop and no excuses or reasons needed. YOU do some fantastic things that come through on here, so just keep on doin what you do.

My problem as I grow older with my shop organization is: " where did I put that thing so I could use it again. Course that was a few years ago but it's here somewhere".

I really like your outside workbench. Perfect use for what God gave you........God bless........Dennis

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Dennis. That tree was killed by the drought.(I know you also know about that in your area too). . It was next to the power line so Entergy cut the huge trunk this Fall.. I brought a piece of it to the shop with the skid steer and set it up. Its a little too tall but it is good that way so that I don't have to bend over. Now that old table next to the adjustable bench holding the console is solid walnut - beat up and in awful shape but my Dad and I worked off of it when we had the antique shop so I like having it around for the memories. I could restore it but I have no other place to put it and will do my wood working off of it and try to keep those memories close.
My mind seems to be getting more forgetful too so I am trying to make a mental picture of where I put things.It does help and so do the slow dissolving, under the tongue,vitamin B-12 tablets.
My console won't be grand looking but it will provide a function I need and make my job easier.Thank you for the encouragement. bordercollie

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Looks good Bordercollie. But jeeze man, clean up that shop! Damn...

If it's anything like mine, if the shop was in order, nothing could be found.
Everytime I straighten my little shop, I loose stuff.
When shop is a mess, there is progress going on in there !!!!

......... two guns

Attachments

• Hyenna_3.gif
    Hyenna_3.gif
    3.9 KB · Views: 750

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
console won't be grand looking but it will provide a function I need and make my job easier.Thank you for the encouragement. bordercollie

I have, without a doubt, that console is going to be perfect bordercollie. Looks and all !!!
You have got the touch my friend.

And I understand much about working on that table, and keeping the memories.
I, to this day, have things in my home that I use and keep close for the memories.
Also, have many guns & tools, just like that old file used last night on a project, that was handed
down from friends & family. It make me feel good using them.

........ jamie

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks also Two Guns.You are right about the cleaning up and misplacing stuff. I always remember where the item used to be. bordercollie

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
So true about the memories of those who contributed to YOUR knowledge and skills. My tool walls are full of devices, tools, and machines that I have acquired since a boy from my father, grandfather, and uncles.
Often, when I share the stories of watching my grandfather and father use this tool, " see how he sharpened this or used string to repair this handle" my son or grandchild looks at me with the so what look. One though, that is my princess, wants to look at it, have me show how to use it, and asks for the stories........Guess who gets what in my will........God bless us all........Dennis

pepr

SUPER Site Supporter
I know this thread is broadening; but I'll throw out some memory discussions.

My very best friend in life was my dad. He passed on February 17, 2008. Best friend because we spent so many good and bad times together on the farm. Also, many nights were spent together late at night tinkering in the shop.

Dad gave me two popping Johnny tractors before he passed. These are the tractors I cut teeth on. One is a 1958 JD 730 diesel with a gas pony starting motor. This was the first new tractor that he purchased. What memories there!

I also have the second and last new tractor that dad purchased new. It's a 1999 JD 6410 cab tractor that I use daily. Everytime I climb into that tractor I spend a great amount of time thinking of dad. My mentor and best friend while being Dad. Hard to beat!

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I lost my Daddy 2 years ago today. Gosh, I miss him but look forward to seeing him again when my time comes . I appreciate him taking the time to show me how things work and how to think out of the box.. I also miss his good natured jokes and quiet , patient nature. Here's (this project and all the others) to you Daddy. God Bless Ya'll for taking time with your kids that want to learn stuff. bordercollie

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
I lost my Daddy 2 years ago today. Gosh, I miss him but look forward to seeing him again when my time comes . I appreciate him taking the time to show me how things work and how to think out of the box.. I also miss his good natured jokes and quiet , patient nature. Here's (this project and all the others) to you Daddy. God Bless Ya'll for taking time with your kids that want to learn stuff. bordercollie

And God Bless You, Bordercollie, just for being you !!!!

Attachments

• Ant_plants_2.gif
    Ant_plants_2.gif
    5.4 KB · Views: 733

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Jamie said it..........tell ya what, take your dogs out to your "place" today. Let them snuggle up next to you as you hug them on either side of you........Love them like your Daddy showed YOU how to love.............God bless.......Dennis

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thank you my Friends. Advice taken also .
I managed to get a good sanding in between us working a group of cows, and despite it being cold. Tomorrow I plan to sand once more and apply 2 coats of bedliner spray... I am eager to get it mounted so I can hook my extra lights back up. ;) . bordercollie

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Console nearing completion

Here are a few pictures of the almost finished console I made for use on my RTV. I still need to wire it up and have the wires hanging and ready to plug in. It needs a few more coats of paint but I wanted to post these pictures while I had a chance. I am excited about the light/sunglasses holder and also the binocular bin.(the sunglasses holder/light came from a salvage yard.) The light is built into the front of the sunglass assembly. I was concerned about bumping my head on the console when jumping on but it is almost even with the ROPS bar and not a problem for me.Everything is a tight fit in order to get it all in there. It's very plain and simple but it gets the job done and I saved $. I will post a few more pictures on completion. bordercollie :doggy:

Attachments

• DSCF4072.JPG
    DSCF4072.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 681
  • DSCF4078.JPG
    DSCF4078.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 678
  • DSCF4081.JPG
    DSCF4081.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 674
  • DSCF4083.JPG
    DSCF4083.JPG