Used MF Tractor

Nick

Need some guidance:wink:

Looking to purchase my first tractor. I found a lightly used MF 231S for sale on ATL Craigslist. Listing says tractor only has 120 hours on it and has been stored in a garage for some time. It comes with a rock rake.

Seller asking $11k for it. According to picture, it does not have a FEL, which is a requirement for me. My question is, can I buy a loader for this tractor, and about how much would a loader cost? Also wanted a tractor with 4WD, but listing doesn't mention this so maybe this tractor is not for me (??).

Some internet research indicates tractor originally cost ~ $14K. Does $11K seem reasonable - listing doesn't indicate model year. Any advice or comments welcome. Thanks.

Nick

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hey Nick.
Since it does not mention 4wd, it would guess it's not. I chased down quite a few ads where they did not mention 4wd and not one of them was 4wd. That is a biggy that most sellers will not leave off.
The FEL for my tractor ran a little over 3k. I would encourage you to check with a dealer for a new setup in simlar size. It might not be much more than 11k, and if you are financing any of it, financing is cheaper for a new tractor vs a used one.
You are right that 120 hours is barely broke in. If it was setup exactly as you wanted it would be a much better buy. To go to a dealer to add the FEL it will cost your more than if you get the tractor and FEL together on a new tractor. The dealer quoted me about 800 dollar difference for the same loader if I wanted to add it later. I think if they add the hydraulics for the loader at the factory is where the savings / additional cost comes from. Cause you'll have to add hydraulics and pay the labor to add the hydraulics.
Keep us posted on your tractor hunt. :thumb:

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
I've used an MF 231S a few times. It put plenty of power to the ground, I'll say that. But maybe I'm a wimp, the clutch on that thing wore my leg out real quick. It was not 4WD either.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've wondered about the Massey clutch design.

I looked at one once (a MF 135) where I had to pull up on the left fender with my hand to get the clutch all the way down. (I weigh 170). The MF clutch pushes straight down which just had the effect of making me stand straight up.

Just what I DONT need, when the reason for a panic stop in the orchard, would be because I am about to run my head into a limb!

But this one on ebay right now fascinates me. It's nearby. $4500 BIN including the disc which is a very fair price for around here. The downside, it's over 11,000 hours.

a495_1.JPG

Nick

I've wondered about the Massey clutch design.

I looked at one once (a MF 135) where I had to pull up on the left fender with my hand to get the clutch all the way down. (I weigh 170). The MF clutch pushes straight down which just had the effect of making me stand straight up.

If I have a good mental image of this thing, I can see a vertically oriented clutch pedal 'getting old' pretty quick. You'd almost have to get out of your seat every time you pressed in on the clutch! I think it would start bothering your hips too!! I have to go out and see some of these tractors. Thanks for the heads up!

Nick

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Here's a dealer's photo showing the MF push-down clutch pedal. The pedal is about a ft behind the shaft that goes into the bell housing.

Only vertical force will move that pedal. Pushing back against the seat like you would in a truck, won't help.

http://humboldtcdj.com/38030j.jpg

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
This a good picture of a 231S. If I remember correctly, I darn near had to stand up and push down on the clutch pedal.

Attachments

• mf231s1.jpg
    mf231s1.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 19

shinnlinger

I say pass since it doesnt have an FEL or 4x4 which I think are manadatory (and you think you want) on sub 40 horse machines....

If it was $5000 I might consider but since it aint.....

urednecku

If a FEL is a must for you, then you will need 4 wheel drive. A big load on the front, and you have no weight on the back tires. And that is where all your tractor control is...to go or, more importantly, to stop. Good luck on your search!

Nick

If a FEL is a must for you, then you will need 4 wheel drive. A big load on the front, and you have no weight on the back tires. And that is where all your tractor control is...to go or, more importantly, to stop. Good luck on your search!

Yes, the loader is a necessity for me. I had read that 4WD is particularly important with a loader for this reason. I don't see myself using the tractor for much plowing or tilling, but more for gathering up fallen trees and limbs on some heavily wooded acreage. I came across some info/pictures on 'grapples' on this site. I have seen small skid loaders (Bobcats) with grapples, but didn't know they were available for tractors. I'll have to further investigate these :wink:

Nick

dgl24087

Yes, the loader is a necessity for me. I had read that 4WD is particularly important with a loader for this reason. I don't see myself using the tractor for much plowing or tilling, but more for gathering up fallen trees and limbs on some heavily wooded acreage. I came across some info/pictures on 'grapples' on this site. I have seen small skid loaders (Bobcats) with grapples, but didn't know they were available for tractors. I'll have to further investigate these :wink:

Nick
I don't believe the 231S was ever offered in 4wd.

You quickly get used to the clutch design. It seems a bit awkward at first, but the design actually prevents you from riding the clutch. Trick is to set the seat as high as is practical. If you don't like the clutch set-up, you'll dislike it for a LONG LONG time. The clutch's in that series Massey hold up to abuse better than any tractor I've ever been around.

231S is a better tractor than the 231. That said, it's a spin-off of the classic 135 that was built in the dark days of Massey Ferguson during and after the days when Conrad Black raided corporate MF, and before AGCO really got a grip on improving the quality to old levels.

For just a bit more you can walk into a Massey dealer and own yourself a NEW 533. (essentially the same tractor ONLY new, more features, and quite a bit better quality)

The entire series that led to the 231S had issues with steering, in particular, the POWER STEERING. Front axle is a little light for serious loader work. The tractor in general is a utility chassis rather than a compact. It has enough built in weight to do MOST jobs without the aid of 4WD, considering it's capabilities and horsepower.

They just simply AREN'T the best effort ever from Massey Ferguson.

In it's defense, that tractor will have the best diesel engine of it's size/class ever built, the Perkins AD3-152. It'll wring more work out of a gallon of fuel than just about anything ever built. It'll outlast the Energizer Bunny. They make GREAT 2ndary tractors for general light duty utility work on a farm. (ie. running augers, conveyors, raking hay, ect)