Loader installation frustration

jwstewar

Staff member
I went to reinstall the loader this afternoon/early evening after it being off for about 3 weeks. Was supposed to be a simple install to move a bunch of totes from the shed to the garage so the wife can get ready for a garage sale (decided we aren't having any more kids so the baby clothes can go:alc: ). The tractor was already pulled into the loader. Just needed to hook the hydraulic lines up and I would be in business. Just a little back ground, it was probably 50 degrees when I took it off and today it was about 85.

First problem. Couldn't get the hose to route the way I thought it should go. After fighting with it for probably 2 or 3 minutes, I had a :pat: , I was trying to route it wrong. Once I flipped it the right way, it routed just like it was supposed. to. Started to hook the bottom pair of lines up. They wouldn't go. So I went and got a shop towel and bumped the end of the line with a hammer a couple of times. Finally was able to get it on. Next came the top pair. Same issue. I tapped it several times, but it just wouldn't go. At this time I'm ready to :boxing: out of the tractor. After scratching my head for awhile in deciding what to do, I decided to crack open a hydraulic. Man was that thing on there tight!!!! Finally broke loose though. Fluid came out, but it didn't seem like a lot - but it sure did go everywhere.:ohmy: I then tightened it back down and on it went.

What should have been a 2 minute job I think turned into 30 minutes.:pat: Next time before I take the loader off, I'm going to go work the tractor for awhile and get the fluid hot so no matter the outside ambient temperature, the fluid will be cooler than what it was when I took it off.

What is your tip for reconnecting hydraulic lines? What should I have done differently (other than to not take the loader off when cold)?

larryRB

when I remove something, when the tractor is hot, then shut down, I immediately cycle all the hydraulics to relieve pressure, My FEL is non removable, but the hoe is, and it too is hard to reconnect if I don't cycle the hydraulics first.

B

bczoom

I do the same as Larry and never had a problem.
I also cycle the hydraulics BEFORE I remove the FEL. This removes any pressure buildup on the loader side of the connections.

jwstewar

Staff member
I cycle the hydraulics too. Normally don't have an issue, but I think the 30+ degree temperature difference caused an increase in pressure that wouldn't allow it to go back on.

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Jim,
My loader usually sets in the sun if I take it off. It's only off for that particular project then back on before stowing the tractor. The sun will heat up the fluid real bad in the hoses. I always cycle the joystick after shutting the tractor down. And also relieve the pressure in the loader hoses against the top of the front bumper. Never has failed me yet.

thcri RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Jim I found out that not setting my loader/bucket on a hard surface would give me problems. The bucket would settle some and tilt either back or forward putting pressure on the lines. Anther thing I do is instead of leveling my bucket I will tip/roll it all the way forward as far as it will go and let it sit on the opening instead. I have a picture of it someplace but can't find it right now.

murph

jwstewar

Staff member
I took the loader back off on Sunday. It was cool again, probably 45 or 50. Didn't want the same problem again. I took the tractor out and operated the loader for awhile. I had some dirt that needed smoothed and some other dirt that needed movin'. I then took the loader off. Put it back on yesterday. It was about 75 or so in the garage. The hydraulic lines snapped back in to place with ease. I think I will try to do that from now on.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm not clear on what you did different this time? :confused:

Both times the tempature was a good bit different. Do you think it went back on easily because it did not sit out in the sun for an extended period?

jwstewar

Staff member
This time, before I took the loader off, I went out and moved some dirt around and got the fluid up to operating temp. This way, as it sat, if when the temp went up during the day, the fluid still cooled down lowering the pressure. I believe I will be doing this from now on.

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
That may help Jim, I never thought about it that way. Heat up the fluid BEFORE you disconnect it.

jwstewar

Staff member
I went to reinstall the loader this afternoon/early evening after it being off for about 3 weeks. Was supposed to be a simple install to move a bunch of totes from the shed to the garage so the wife can get ready for a garage sale (decided we aren't having any more kids so the baby clothes can go:alc: ). The tractor was already pulled into the loader. Just needed to hook the hydraulic lines up and I would be in business. Just a little back ground, it was probably 50 degrees when I took it off and today it was about 85.

First problem. Couldn't get the hose to route the way I thought it should go. After fighting with it for probably 2 or 3 minutes, I had a :pat: , I was trying to route it wrong. Once I flipped it the right way, it routed just like it was supposed. to. Started to hook the bottom pair of lines up. They wouldn't go. So I went and got a shop towel and bumped the end of the line with a hammer a couple of times. Finally was able to get it on. Next came the top pair. Same issue. I tapped it several times, but it just wouldn't go. At this time I'm ready to :boxing: out of the tractor. After scratching my head for awhile in deciding what to do, I decided to crack open a hydraulic. Man was that thing on there tight!!!! Finally broke loose though. Fluid came out, but it didn't seem like a lot - but it sure did go everywhere.:ohmy: I then tightened it back down and on it went.

What should have been a 2 minute job I think turned into 30 minutes.:pat: Next time before I take the loader off, I'm going to go work the tractor for awhile and get the fluid hot so no matter the outside ambient temperature, the fluid will be cooler than what it was when I took it off.

What is your tip for reconnecting hydraulic lines? What should I have done differently (other than to not take the loader off when cold)?

I just went back and reread this. First a warning. We've all heard the warnings about hydraulic fluid and spraying. Had a little bit of trouble reconnecting the lines again a few weeks ago. I put a shop towel over the end of the connector and tapped it with a hammer. The fluid shot a hole in the blue shop towel and actually came up to my eye. Fortunately reflexes my eye closed. Still got a bit in the eye. I spent the next several minutes flushing my eye. Next time I do that, it won't be with one of the paper shop towels and I'll have safety glasses on. Could've been pretty disastorous.

Second reread my first paragraph. We started getting rid of the baby clothes because we weren't having any more kids:pat: Now we are taking the clothes that Monica didn't get rid of and taking them back to the house so she can wash them for the baby that is coming in September.

urednecku

I just went back and reread this. First a warning. We've all heard the warnings about hydraulic fluid and spraying. Had a little bit of trouble reconnecting the lines again a few weeks ago. I put a shop towel over the end of the connector and tapped it with a hammer. The fluid shot a hole in the blue shop towel and actually came up to my eye. Fortunately reflexes my eye closed. Still got a bit in the eye. I spent the next several minutes flushing my eye. Next time I do that, it won't be with one of the paper shop towels and I'll have safety glasses on. Could've been pretty disastorous.

Second reread my first paragraph. We started getting rid of the baby clothes because we weren't having any more kids:pat: Now we are taking the clothes that Monica didn't get rid of and taking them back to the house so she can wash them for the baby that is coming in September.

First, yes be VERY careful with the pressure in hydro. hoses.
Second CONGRATULATIONS!! And enjoy your new miracle.

S

spiffywebcreations

which loader do you have? (the pic is too tiny to tell)

I have the 7308 and I've never had it off to date...

but i do recall having the same issue with the CK20 I had.

jwstewar

Staff member
It is the New Holland 12LA. Good little loader. Lots of power for the size of the tractor.

S

spiffywebcreations

I would have like to have had a curved arm loader on mine, but as I bought used, I didn't have a choice...

I recall my dealer said it was easier to remove and install the 7308 over the curved arm version...tho i find that a bit hard to believe.

jwstewar

Staff member
I haven't installed one on the larger machines. On these you pull a pin and fold a leg down. Set the loader on the ground. Pull 2 pins back at the operator station while playing with the hydraulics a little bit to remove pressure on the pins. Shut it off and disconnect the hydraulic lines. To install is just the opposite. In reality hooking up the hydraulic lines is usually the hardest part. The rest of the loader couldn't be much easier. Though when the dealer first installed it, I couldn't get one of the pins out. They ended up coming to the house and working with it a bit and then finally ended up taking it back to the shop. Forget exactly what happened but we couldn't get the pressure released from the pin. I know they did grind the pin a little bit so that it wasn't quite so tight. No problems now in the 5 years since.

Side note. Can't believe I've had my little blue buddy 5 years. Just got the letter from NH yesterday to make the final payment.

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Can't believe I've had my little blue buddy 5 years. Just got the letter from NH yesterday to make the final payment.

CONGRATULATIONS!

Last payment on my Kubota is in October.

Jim