rtv 900 front end noise in 4 whl drive

jnybee

have a 2005 rtv 900, front end makes a clicking sound when i make a sharp turn left or right, when in 4 whl drive only, or at least it sounds like it is coming from front. all u joints seem ok, Thanks for the help

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the best forum around . :) How many hours are on your machine? If it were me, I would jack it up and spin the tires by hand while listening for the click. Are the boots damaged? Also, some units were made without the wheel stop when they first came out in 2004 and would go too far in sharp turns.
I do hope it isn't the front wheel joints but if it is , there are supposedly some good aftermarkets available at good prices from places like from atv superstore.
Also may be a good time to change oil in the front end and "hubs" when you get a chance. Good Luck ! bordercollie.

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
Yep, sounds like an axle CV joint. When going bad they will click when turned sharp, less noisy when going straight.

Your right they are cv joints... you can't knock those in and out like a u joint... are they rebuildable? Or do you have to replace the whole shaft?

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
There you go! Awesome thread you guys! Makes me want some of peanuts stick stoppers or I would use them as stalk stoppers :)!
Is it safe to say that cv boots seem to be the only weakness on this machine?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks, I don't know about the new models but the 2 pc drive shaft with carrier bearing was problematic on the earlier 900's .I replaced mine at least 3 times on the '05 within 4200 hrs and zero times on my new design 1 piece type on the 2011 RTVxt -with 3059 hrs so far. The rear ujoints on the old style also were problematic . A couple of replacements on the rear sealed ujoints on the '05 and only once (so far) on the greasable 2011 RTV 900xt . bordercollie