Homemade Roof X-1120D

Johnny Gunz

Being the cheapo that I am, I certainly wasn't gonna fork over $400 for a roof. Instead, I bought a 4x8 sheet of Diamond Plate for $135 and made my own. Now to get a strip of 1/4" coated polycarbonate cut to make a quick detach windshield.

Attachments

• Bota Roof.jpg
    Bota Roof.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 113
  • Bota Roof Two.jpg
    Bota Roof Two.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 110

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Looking Good .I am in a conserving mode my self and every dollar saved is important . Be sure to look at the DJ clamps when you do the windshield . Zoom put me on them years and years ago and I've never regretted using them. In fact, they bolt onto the roll bar and then an additional wing nut is used to quickly install or remove what ever it is you need to attach and the clamp can stay in place. This is an example of the ones I ordered but may not be the same exact ones as far as fit but gotta go to work so grabbed this link as example. There are probably some other sellers there offering better price or combined shipping. bordercollie http://www.ebay.com/itm/O-CLAMP-DJ-...941520?hash=item2353a16550:g:DZoAAOSwEjFXdAOB

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That looks bad-ass! Nicely done.

As bordercollie said, look at those DJ O-clamps. They're awesome for applications like this. Buy a couple extras as you'll find a ton of needs for them after you get them in your hands and at your RTV ROPS. I probably have 10 of them on my RTV for everything from the windshield mounts, speakers, coat hook...

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
Gunz, looks great! How did you bend the diamond plate? That looks pretty stiff.

Also, what does that bottom plate do for you?

Thanks

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Great idea and looks nice. It might be worth while to add a piece of foam pipe insulation where your head might hit it.

Johnny Gunz

Ohio, I cut the diamond plate on a C&C Plas-arch, then bent with a large industrial sized hydraulic bender. used ever so slight bends every inch over the span of a foot or so to get more of a roll effect. Im very fortunate to have a good friend that owns a RR Tank Car business and have access to this stuff. The bottom was more of an after thought with extra material, but will make it to where I will only have to buy a smaller piece of Lexan and not have to put a bend in it for my quick release windshield. May mount a set of LED's on it as well.

Johnny Gunz

Also, on bottom piece, the top and both side edges ware bent at a 45 inward to give it rigidity. I did apply rubber weather stripping to ROPS anywhere diamond plate would touch to eliminate vibration.

Last edited:

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Nice job on the roof. Betcha won't be poking a tree branch down through that!

Keifer

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Easy to mount whatever you want inside or out. Weld, drill, or machine the fabs and you are ready to go. Seems the way to go and then use your money to flaunt someplace that counts........GOOD STUFF