X 1120 D Bed Mounted Winch Receiver

Johnny Gunz

Finally got around to locating a winch mount to my bed. I have a Viper Max 5000 lb winch on mounting plate, welded to a hitch receiver bar and wired with a quick connect end. All of my winch wires are located under driver's seat, and will reach both front and rear hitch receivers. When winch is not in use, it rides in bed mount, and does not take up any bed space. It can also be used as game hoist if I ever need to load a harvested deer or hog into the bed. I wanted something very versatile, and I think this will suit all my needs.

Attachments

• BOTA 4.jpg
    BOTA 4.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 140
  • BOTA 3.jpg
    BOTA 3.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 139
  • BOTA 5.jpg
    BOTA 5.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 138
  • BOTA 2.jpg
    BOTA 2.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 137
  • BOTA 1.jpg
    BOTA 1.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 137
  • Kubota3.jpg
    Kubota3.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 138
  • Kubota4.jpg
    Kubota4.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 137
  • winch.jpg
    winch.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 140

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Agreed. Very nice setup.

Wondering about the game hoist use assuming you're using it in the pictured bed location. Lots of torque angles there. Have you tugged on it to see what the weak point is? Hate to see something snag when pulling into the bed then some bracket gets bent.

Johnny Gunz

BC, It feels pretty sturdy and with roller fair leads, bed in tilt position with tailgate down, I don't foresee any snags. Once deer is winched upwards with bed tilted, tilting bed back into down position will take all of the weight off of winch bracket (which is pretty sturdy steel C-channel). Typical mature buck here in NE only weighs 170 lbs or so. I have not tested it yet, so I may be wrong about my engineering thinking...lol.

Last edited:

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
The C-channel looks plenty sturdy. I was thinking more of the 1" square that goes into the bed. If that 1" square is hollow, it may bend there. If it's solid, I wonder if the bed sides themselves would buckle.

Johnny Gunz

BC, they are solid 1" bar stock, down into entire depth of bed and welded in place. If pulled from the front with enough weight, undoubtedly it would pull bed apart. Pulling towards rear of bed (the sides acting as additional support), while bed is tilted up, I can't see it buckling with anything less than 300 lbs. I dang sure wouldn't winch the weight of the machine from that bracket. It was built more or less to just carry my winch, and get it out of the way and not take up bed space. I definitely will be very cautious the first time I use it.

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
Gunz, do you have any pictures of how you attached the winch to the hitch? You mentioned a plate. This is a great idea and installation.

Johnny Gunz

Ohio, I do not. My winch came with a mounting plate, and I simply welded it to a receiver hitch purchased at local Harbor Freight. I do know that Harbor Freight carries universal winch mounting plates.

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Ya gotta luv HF, Tractor Supply and Rural King for most gadgets, fittings, fluids and mostly for all the misc stuff we need.