Rtv 900. Won’t start

johnny quest

I haven’t used it in a while and tried cranking it. It sputtered a couple times but would not start. I chalked it up to fuel and drained the tank and filled it with new fuel, changed filter, hooked it back up and nothing!!! So I figure it needs priming now and loosen the nut on the injector pump so I could crank it till fuel came out. No fuel!!! So I take the line from the out side of the fuel pump going to the injector pump and crank it. No fuel. This is an 08 model with 978hours on it.. I checked the fuel shutoff solenoid and it’s sloppy but works. ( bought new one but not here yet ). I open the shutoff manually still no fuel. I have heard it’s rare but the mechanical pump can go out.
I’m about out of options at this point.
Suggestions please.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i'll bet there is a little bit of something in one of the check valves in the primary fuel pump. take it off and seperate the halves to check the diaphragm and the valves.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Arthuritis knows his stuff . I'd have done what you've already checked off and then I'd follow up with his suggestions. Good Luck and welcome to the forum - wish it was under better circumstances though. bordercollie

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
you might try just a little compressed air back from the supply line on the injection pump into the fuel tank just to make sure there isn't an obstruction in the line. make sure you loosen the fuel cap so you don't ruin your tank.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
Arthuritis knows his stuff . I'd have done what you've already checked off and then I'd follow up with his suggestions. Good Luck and welcome to the forum - wish it was under better circumstances though. bordercollie

Thanks Collie. your confidence makes me blush:wink:

johnny quest

I have a lot of fun in this machine, but I’ve been building my ranch house on the weekends by myself for the last 2 years. So it has just sat. I started it every month or so and it ran fine. Just this time it didn’t even give a good chugalug. Sputtered once or twice then blank.

Attachments

• 6E2D65E9-3F50-4F6A-A4B2-67CA5C178918.jpg
    6E2D65E9-3F50-4F6A-A4B2-67CA5C178918.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 56B21243-A2D9-4587-A537-FFBECA5789B8.jpg
    56B21243-A2D9-4587-A537-FFBECA5789B8.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 67

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
it probably lost it's prime. before i started taking things apart i would first blow a little comprssed air backwards into the fuel tank and then very carefully just a few ounces of pressure in the fuel tank by holding your hand over the fill hole and applying just a little air to push fuel into the lines and fuel pump. them with the supply line disconnected from the IP crank the engine to see if the primary pump has primed and is capable of supplying fuel.

johnny quest

Ok I blew air thru tank and it came out the hose on the out side of the pump. But when I crank it none comes out. I’m guessing pump is bad and needs solenoid just because I have it coming. I’m going to drain the oil and change it in case any got in crankcase by chance also. Waiting on parts.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
when you say fuel came out of the hose on the outside of the pump. are you saying it came out of the primary pump or the injection pump??? very important we are on the same page?

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
naw your fine. let it soak with that fuel in it and repeat. sounds to me like there is a check valve gummed in the primary pump. fresh fuel just mite disolve the gum.

johnny quest

Ok parts came in and put them on. I ended up installing the low volume ele fuel pump and I still can’t get fuel thru the injection pump. The shutoff solenoid is on. Question is I don’t see it doing much when I turn the key on. Does it shut the fuel to the injection pump off. I have turned the fuel pump on and I get gas to the pump but with the injector lines loosened at the head. Nothing. I’m perplexed now. Clogged injection pump???

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
the fuel shut off solenoid uses voltage to disengage and allow fuel to flow through your injector pump. either disconnect the solenoid mechanically from the IP and operate the lever manually or get the solenoid to operate as it should.

johnny quest

Man I’m glad that’s over. I know nothing about diesels and it’s done. Back on the road.

Attachments

• 6105C9AC-4CB0-4F7C-8AB7-80EDD2DA0FE1.jpg
    6105C9AC-4CB0-4F7C-8AB7-80EDD2DA0FE1.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 30