If Your RTV Won't Run Over 20 MPH Check This

Hello...I read on here from time to time but never post. I was going to pass some info along that might help some folks.

I have a 2010 RTV1140 with 1100 hours that we use on our farm/ranch operation. It has been used and abused. About a year ago we noticed that when traveling between pastures (wife/son following me on rtv) that the tractors would outrun the rtv. My wife an son said it would not run over 19mph. You could not load it on a dovetail trailer in high gear....it ran very sluggish. A month or so ago I was spraying miles of fenceline and when trying to turn around next to a bayou to pump water I got stuck and could not make the rtv spin the wheels in reverse. After walking 1/2 a mile across a field with a herd of cows tailing me I had to get the truck and pull it out. On the way back home I ran into the owner of the Kubota dealer at a gas station. After chewing him out about how the RTV was running (my family has spent $1,000,000 plus at his place) he said he would check into it and let me know. He sent me this TSB:

Poor performance, sluggish HST response in all speed-ranges, and/or limited pulling-power uphill for the RTV900s, RTV1100s, & RTV1140s
SOLUTION:
Check the charge pressure; if the charge pressure is low and can not be raised, then check the suction hoses for failure. A quick way to check the suction hoses without draining the fluid is to squeeze on and around the elbow for signs of a soft spot. Indications of a soft spot in the elbow may require replacement of the suction hose and HST filter.

After taking it in to the dealer.....they replaced the two suction hoses (under orange transmission filter) and it runs better than when it was new. One hose was flattened inside and was robbing the power. Supposedly the new hoses are silicon....and fix the problem. Now it runs 25mph and will spin the tires.

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Great info post. Thanks for sharing your experience here on the forum.

ShortFatBaldGuy

Hey Gents,
This describes my RTV1100 to a tee. I'm new to HST. What is the charge pressure and how do I check it? Also, where are the suction hoses? Thanks!

Lee1935

Hello...I read on here from time to time but never post. I was going to pass some info along that might help some folks.

I have a 2010 RTV1140 with 1100 hours that we use on our farm/ranch operation. It has been used and abused. About a year ago we noticed that when traveling between pastures (wife/son following me on rtv) that the tractors would outrun the rtv. My wife an son said it would not run over 19mph. You could not load it on a dovetail trailer in high gear....it ran very sluggish. A month or so ago I was spraying miles of fenceline and when trying to turn around next to a bayou to pump water I got stuck and could not make the rtv spin the wheels in reverse. After walking 1/2 a mile across a field with a herd of cows tailing me I had to get the truck and pull it out. On the way back home I ran into the owner of the Kubota dealer at a gas station. After chewing him out about how the RTV was running (my family has spent $1,000,000 plus at his place) he said he would check into it and let me know. He sent me this TSB:

Poor performance, sluggish HST response in all speed-ranges, and/or limited pulling-power uphill for the RTV900s, RTV1100s, & RTV1140s
SOLUTION:
Check the charge pressure; if the charge pressure is low and can not be raised, then check the suction hoses for failure. A quick way to check the suction hoses without draining the fluid is to squeeze on and around the elbow for signs of a soft spot. Indications of a soft spot in the elbow may require replacement of the suction hose and HST filter.

After taking it in to the dealer.....they replaced the two suction hoses (under orange transmission filter) and it runs better than when it was new. One hose was flattened inside and was robbing the power. Supposedly the new hoses are silicon....and fix the problem. Now it runs 25mph and will spin the tires.

Many thanks, will pass this on to anouther forum :clap:

Atlantaviking

Similar problem not same model apparently

I have a RTV1140CPX 18080 serial number. I think it is about 15 - 18 years old 1050 hours. It is a four seater HST. The hoses are fine on the rear, back facing filter. There is a second filter on the side, just in front of the back on the passenger side. I did find the water cooling hose flattened under the protective cover plate going to the engine block. Replaced it and it did seem to get better. No idea why that would cause sluggishness. It still is not running per specs, but better. Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum Atlantaviking. Have you checked the air filter and it's intake? The most my RTV 900 would go was about 27 on a good day. It's probably time to change the hoses and fuel lines.. Rubber doesn't last like it used to (speaking of the soft hoses). I'm sure other members will check in with other things to check.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
a few questions before we start. have you owned this unit for a long time? have the issues just began or is it running just like it always has? have you or anyone other than a dealer made adjustments to your knowledge?

71sschevelle

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Check spark arrestor. Clogged spark arrestor will make it run sluggish. Worth a check.

ccmdvl1960

I have a RTV1140CPX 18080 serial number. I think it is about 15 - 18 years old 1050 hours. It is a four seater HST. The hoses are fine on the rear, back facing filter. There is a second filter on the side, just in front of the back on the passenger side. I did find the water cooling hose flattened under the protective cover plate going to the engine block. Replaced it and it did seem to get better. No idea why that would cause sluggishness. It still is not running per specs, but better. Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

FYI, the RTV 1140 was not introduced until 2009, so your machine is no more than 10 years old at this time.

Atlantaviking

So after filing the flattened suction hose, my RTV still seems to have less power. Will run 25 MPH, but little torque? HST issue likely?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I vote for the spark arrestor being clogged. That screen wire in the older RTVs with removeable arrestors close up quickly with soot. The spark arrestors on chain saws and power equipment will do the same thing. collie

Atlantaviking

Well, it got a lot better with cleaned spark arrestor, still seems less powerful than it was before. Any reason not to just remove the spark arrestor. Only using it around my property, mostly open land

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
many do remove it. i left mine in and only clean once per year but it gets a lot of full throttle time. your performance might improve with time and a little seafoam in the fuel might help.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
If you're not in a fire area it could be altered. It's there to help prevent fires from muffler sparks. Notice how the screen wire fits around some framing? A small grinder can cut out openings . Be advised that the tailpipe on some models and the inner part of the arrestor are balanced so don't alter the length or the muffler itself can crack and tailpipe will hang. I still have my messed up muffler hanging on the rafter at the barn as a reminder. It could be welded but now a Roxor owner so it just reminds me of "balance" problems one day it will go to the scrap place I guess. bordercollie