I cleaned under my mower deck and sprayed fluid film ...

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have been meaning to do this for awhile and finally got a jack, so I could jack up my ZTR, clean under the mower deck and give it a good coat of Fluid Film.

Grass had accumulated / stuck under the deck so that I was having issues with grass clumping excessively. Drove me bonkers. And when I checked closely before power washing the underside of the deck, sure nuff old grass had stuck to the deck right near the place where the grass shoots out. I remembered at least one of you had said you coat the underside of you mower deck with Fluid Film and that keeps grass from accumulating under there. I'm hoping that helps keep mine clean too. Just wondering how long it will last.

For those who have tried this how often do you reapply fluid film under the deck?

Side note: This is the first time I power washed under the mower deck. WOW. Power washing sure made this dirty job 90% easier. It cleaned all the rock hard dead grass and gunk off there in no time. I just had to let it get good and dry before applying fluid film, no problem at all. :D

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I do it once or twice a year. Before putting it away for the winter, I do what you did (pressure wash, let dry then Fluid Film).

If I do it a 2nd time, it'll be about this time of year. I was mowing yesterday and I'm still good with the fluid film.

Did you use the spray type or out of a gallon bucket? The stuff in the bucket is much thicker and works better.

OK, now that you have it done, you'll be happy. That said, eventually, grass will start sticking to the deck, especially if you have high-lift blades.

I have 2 techniques for when the grass does stick.
When mowing when it's wet, the grass will be pushed to the top of the deck. If I kick off the mower the grass clumps fall off. It's best to do this someplace discreet unless you want to pick up the clumps in the middle of your yard.

To make it where the only time you need to go under your deck is for EOY cleaning and sharpening, you'll need a puddle or some body of water a few inches deep. I bring the ZTR into the water area until the deck is about an inch or 2 above the water. Turn the deck on and slowly lower the deck until the water starts getting sucked in and the engine is bogging down a bit from the load. That basically pressure washes the deck and in about 30 seconds, it'll be blowing clear water out of the chute.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Brian. Good info. All I have is the spray on fluid film. I'm amazed at how long it lasts on my trailer hitches.

Well, I mowed and still have issues with grass. While it is not clumping I simply have to much grass accumulated and I have to set the deck height really high (5 inches) or else I see a line of side discharge. Frustrating.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Doc, I tied up my chute discharge because I was having such a problem with grass clogging. Of coarse, I don't have neighbors or their car windows to worry about the discharge with .and I always mow with the open chute away from breakables...It really helps in my case. bordercollie

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good thought BC. I'm much like you in that no neighbors within reach of my mower chute. I might put it on a bungy cord or something similar where I can raise and lower it from the seat. Ya got me thinking BC. :thumb:

ZZZ2D1

Site Supporter
Hi All,
I spray my mower deck with rustproofing, I then make my own nozzles out of brass fittings and a plug and drill .050 holes in the plug aiming at the underbody of the deck. I then strategically mount this on the top of the deck for a hose fitting. Hook the hose up and it's like power washing with the blade engaged.
Works well with no deck buildup. It's hard for it to stick to the rustproofing, and deck will not rust.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I took mine off completely.

Are you mowing wet grass?
Nope, not mowing wet grass.
Just like a mattress or pillow tag warnings mine says do not operate without the chute discharge thingy in place. I was afraid I might get arrested by the 'chute' police. :hide: :yum:

Another good idea ZZ. :thumb:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
...and you can get closer to that tree or whatever you are "ringing" when the chute is out of the way. :) . I just fold mine over and tie it back. I should probably take it off but might get arrested ;) I hear the drones are out looking for such things.. :hide:
The little push mower we have for around the pool has one of those fittings on the deck to hook a water hose to. bordercollie

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 43