Cub Cadet 149 Question

shinnlinger

Hi,

I have an early 70's CC149 with a 14 horse Kohler in it. It last ran a year or so ago, but I was wondering what kind of GPM the hydrostatic drive puts out. I have seen that folks used to make FEL and backhoes for these things. I might take the engine to run a log splitter, but maybe I can just tap the whole unit and keep it intact.

Thanks.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
How can one figure the GPM? Does the hydraulic capacity give a clue? IOW if it holds 7 gallons vs 12 gallons does that indicate it's pumping more GPM's?

Mith

Easiest way to check is to run a line off the trans and see how much fluid comes out in 10 secs. Measure the volume times 6 and you've got volume per minute.

Pretty sure it wont be enough for a logsplitter though, likely to be 2-4 gpm. I think those steal flow from the charge pump to supply the aux hydraulics so you wont get a huge amount of hydraulic HP out of it. Better off adding a separate pump off the engine crankshaft.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I tried to find more info and indeed there are a number of them listed in google searches that have the implements added. No mention of an extra hydro pump so I would presume the original pump did the job.

shinnlinger

Thanks Doc,

I did see one where the guy took the the PTO and put a pump on that, but it seems hydrostatic drives have some hydro power. The old CUbs had something a little bit more stout than needed and maybe they have more hydropower, but I don't even know where to tap in. Hopefully oldcowhand will pipe in on that....

olcowhand

The charge pump on the hydrostat does the hydraulic functions AND supplies the hydro unit with oil. Not enough flow to properly run a loader or splitter. Maybe 2 to 3 gpm at most. Some DO use them for a loader, but they are slow. A splitter uses more volume, so would be even slower.
Mith was right, just not enough volume, NOR pressure. Most charge pumps are set from 500 to 800psi. Besides, the hydro doesn't hold enough oil to supply larger cylinders without running low.

Mith

Shinn, most loaders use their own pump running off the tractors PTO, or off the crank pulley on the engine. Most use the loader frame as the hydraulic reservoir.

I know the Deere 455 uses the power from the trans for the loader and accesories. Only about 4gpm, but they do use very small rams. The rams for the power brush are about 1" bore. So a 4" bore ram on a splitter is going to go super slow.

Mith

Shinn, most loaders use their own pump running off the tractors PTO, or off the crank pulley on the engine. Most use the loader frame as the hydraulic reservoir.

I know the Deere 455 uses the power from the trans for the loader and accesories. Only about 4gpm, but they do use very small rams. The rams for the power brush are about 1" bore. So a 4" bore ram on a splitter is going to go super slow.