RTV & Tires

ovrszd

Yes. Very. Buggy is scheduled for around sept 15. Supppsed to get the zd1211 today but the hurricane is changing plans. Hopefully it'll be one day next week. If that gets pushed back (don't want to trailer it back home in the rain) than I'll just wait till the buggy gets here and get them both at once

Brett

Also getting the new 2" lift that they just started selling too. Going to be busy for a bit getting it like it like it with lights, lift, tires and skid

Pics or it didn't happen. ;)

WoodyBlue

I use the Grim reapers on mine and have had no problems on hills in the mud or deep snow
http://www.pureoffroad.com/gbc_grim_reaper_atv_tires.htm

GBC-Grim-Reaper-ATV-Tire.jpg

A bit off topic, I wonder has anybody put a set of these on a SCAG tiger Cat or other Zero Turn mower? The stock tires I have on my SCAG SUCK! turning to the right by reversing the right tire does nothing but spins on DRY grass. I am concerned about tearing up the lawn, but with increased control......?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
A bit off topic, I wonder has anybody put a set of these on a SCAG tiger Cat or other Zero Turn mower? The stock tires I have on my SCAG SUCK! turning to the right by reversing the right tire does nothing but spins on DRY grass. I am concerned about tearing up the lawn, but with increased control......?
I'm assuming you have the turf tires.

Can you change your technique to go forward with the left tire while reversing your right tire? That always works for me when I get a tire spinning.

I wouldn't go with anything as aggressive as what's going on RTV's. I'd go with paddle tires like what's pictured below if you want to get more traction.

WoodyBlue

I'm assuming you have the turf tires.

Can you change your technique to go forward with the left tire while reversing your right tire? That always works for me when I get a tire spinning.

I wouldn't go with anything as aggressive as what's going on RTV's. I'd go with paddle tires like what's pictured below if you want to get more traction.

Great tip. Can you send me detailed info on those tires on yours, please. Yes I do have turf tires.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That's not mine. I just got the photo off the internet to show the paddle tires.

I'd still suggest you try that technique of having the left tire go forward while having the right tire go in reverse. It does work well.

WoodyBlue

That's not mine. I just got the photo off the internet to show the paddle tires.

I'd still suggest you try that technique of having the left tire go forward while having the right tire go in reverse. It does work well.

It does work well, in certain areas of my are it does.

I might have gotten my right and left mixed up. LOL

When I am cutting up against some young trees, or a sidewalk edge or a buried LP gas tank riser, I need to turn to the left and getting the machine to NOT spin the left tire, as I turn tight around these and other items, is next to impossible. to put it simply, with the turf tires there is NO traction.

One other thing I did not mention before is that I have some areas on my property that are right at the uncomfortable edge of steepness. A little more traction in these areas of the property, which I can ONLY mow when it is bone dry because of the slightest bit of dampness it would be pure suicide, would be ideal.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
One other thing I did not mention before is that I have some areas on my property that are right at the uncomfortable edge of steepness. A little more traction in these areas of the property, which I can ONLY mow when it is bone dry because of the slightest bit of dampness it would be pure suicide, would be ideal.
A couple tips.

To avoid tearing up your grass when making a U-turn, when making the turn, don't pivot your tractor on the inside wheel (where you're turning the ZTR around and one rear wheel doesn't move at all but is your pivot point). When you pivot, it'll tear up the grass right there. When making a U-turn, have your inside wheel roll backwards while your outside wheel rolls forward. E.g. When turning left, pull your left control backwards while pushing your right control forward which then has both tires moving in opposite directions.

Working on hills - Not sure how many or how steep your hills are but here's a technique tip for steep hills. Most ZTR's can handle moderate hills but really struggle on steep hills. If you try to go horizontally across the side of the hill, the mower will just slide sideways down the hill. If you try to go straight up the hill, you'll get a serious pucker factor when you start seeing your front tires coming off the ground. What I found works best is to go up the hill at a 45° angle so you're splitting the vertical and horizontal axis's of the hill. By doing so, it helps negate the tipping backwards and sliding down the hill.

To answer your question a little, on my old big diesel garden tractor, I put kenda executioners on it. Made a world of difference. If on a ZT, you'd definitely have to modify your technique to minimize turf damage but the spinning was killing my yard. After the new tires, it didn't spin anymore and did less turf damage all around

Brett

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i don't know anything about those specific tires but before you buy anything you should check to see how much your machine weighs and then add for any payload you carry. then look at the load rating on the tires to see if they will be overloaded.

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
Size, lugs and ply are great. I would take a careful look at the load rating for each tire and the type of work you plan to do. 675x4=2700. That would be your max working weight including RTV, people, cargo and fuel.

Some of the more experienced members may have some better advice. But on my 2016 1120D, I use ITP Blackwater 26x11x12 all around based on recommendations from several other members. I am not sure what sizes the 2008 model can take but the weight rating is important regardless.

Hope that helps.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi . I see the load rating is 675lbs per tire as Pawpaw Grower stated. The RTVs I've had weigh around 2000lbs empty so would consider that. What do you use your machine for? I loved my black water evolutions. The tread lasted and lasted and they were tough with high load capacities - near 1000 each and could be aired up to near 30 if I remember right. I kept about 20 in mine though- They will cost about twice as much though but will last and last- I went thru many sets of other brand tires on my machine before the tread was worn because they broke down but not the Blackwater Evolutions . They are a mud tire and will get you out of some bad situations but will also tear sod. bordercollie

Luckystars

I'm fighting sand mostly. The tires on it now are like a golf cart tread, meant to go on grass and sod. They are 1500# at 30 psi. They sink in sand like a train wheel would. If I drop them to 10-12 psi they do a lot better but are they 1500# tires stil?
I see 2000# for the RTV 900. Add fluids, me and Momma and a dog 2,500#
I'd like to think it'd be overloaded less than 1% of the time. We run around our 10 acres and 1/2 mile over to the neighbors. All Florida pastures and a little black top. But sand makes her belly drag.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
my conditions are also sandy and i have a lot of sticks and things that poke holes in tires. i also has the worksite tires on one of my 1100's. when i changed tires this spring i went with the ITP Baja cross 26-11-12 on one rig and 25-10-12 on the other. i have been very pleased with the tread design.

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
I have a X900 with the OEM worksite tires and they have been terrific for my application - dirt/woods roads and plowing snow. The traction in the snow is unbelievable and they have warn nicely. Right now I have 9,000 miles and 1400 hours on the originals. I still have quite a bit of life left in them but was just exploring options and discovered these: https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/tires-and-wheels/sedona-coyote-tire-p?s=1443020&v=17466. Have you had experience with this tire?

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
just curious. with the above statement why would you look for anything but another pair of worksite tires?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I'd been interested in what the load rating is on them - if I were buying a set.
I just went thru so many sets that were light load rated on my first RTV that I felt out done because they broke down before they wore out. Not this set you're looking at but the mud light brands . The RTV being so heavy was hard on my tires except for the Blackwater Evo. I realize you are desirous of a WS type but just thought I'd mention that as the load weight needs to be considered . Best of luck ! bordercollie.

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
just curious. with the above statement why would you look for anything but another pair of worksite tires?

I do love the Worksite tires, but was pricing tires just seeing what else is out there and ran across these and they read up well and are 6 ply - look similar to the Worksite. Just wondering if anyone has had some experience with them.