X-Series Hand Throttle from Messicks

Johnny Gunz

Can someone explain to me why a hand throttle for an X-series is almost $100 more than one for a non X-Series? Messicks lists X-Series hand throttle for $170 while non X is a mere $75. Is there that much of a drastic design change?

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
my old x1100 has a hand throttle already from the factory but it isn't one that can be pulled to constant. it is handy sometimes when i need full throttle and little peddle but i have to hold it. it this the throttle you describe???

Johnny Gunz

I think they ALL should have been equipped with a hand throttle like yours. WOT @ low ground speed is a necessity sometimes. Its my only gripe with the machine.

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
I think they ALL should have been equipped with a hand throttle like yours. WOT @ low ground speed is a necessity sometimes. Its my only gripe with the machine.

What about those of us who have no need for that type operation? Should we have to pay for a hand-throttle we don’t need? I think having it as an option is the better solution.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter

i am not sure my machine is equipped with the throttle that was indicated in the ops question. mine is a throttle but you have to hold it or it will return under spring return. i think a throttle that could be set and left alone would be just dandy for some applications.

Johnny Gunz

Geohorn, The hand throttle was not even an option from my dealer. In fact, when I asked< they were puzzled as to why I would want that. And, I cant imagine anyone using these machines for work not benefiting from such a simple feature. When the hydrostat is put under a load, the engine RPM diminishes quickly and roughly 50% of power and torque is lost. These diesel engines are designed to run at wide open throttle, yet the machine will not allow it. I mean, if all i did was ride my grandkids around the yard with it, I'd probably share your view. Most of us use them to haul heavy loads in wet muddy terrain, or even plow snow with them. I paid lots of money for a "work rated" machine that only puts down a fraction of the power the engine produces.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i understand the need and even want for a hand throttle but in favor of these little machines i will say that i haven't needed a hand throttle but a few times and i work the crap out of both of mine. if the Hst is adjusted correctly i have been amazed just how well a simple mechanical cam can match the throttle to the HST output. also i think one could fab his own real easy and cheap.

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
I agree that a hand throttle should be standard. I installed one on my X900 due to the need when plowing. The one I installed is a pull to set and is installed to the left of the driver's seat. The knob has a fine-tune twist feature that I love. I think it cost just over $100. I use it in the winter when temps are below 20 to allow for warming up. Just set the idle up a bit. When plowing I boost the engine rpm up quite a bit and it doesn't bog down when I plow up hill or pushing a snow bank.

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
Geohorn, The hand throttle was not even an option from my dealer. In fact, when I asked< they were puzzled as to why I would want that. And, I cant imagine anyone using these machines for work not benefiting from such a simple feature. When the hydrostat is put under a load, the engine RPM diminishes quickly and roughly 50% of power and torque is lost. These diesel engines are designed to run at wide open throttle, yet the machine will not allow it. I mean, if all i did was ride my grandkids around the yard with it, I'd probably share your view. Most of us use them to haul heavy loads in wet muddy terrain, or even plow snow with them. I paid lots of money for a "work rated" machine that only puts down a fraction of the power the engine produces.

Johnny, I think your dealer is either misinformed or ignorant or lazy? Go to Messicks and order the kit. (Or go to any aviation supply and order a “vernier” control. They are so common I have several that were removed simply because of chronological time-in-service... they work perfectly and cost me nothing.)