Backhoe - digs!

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
YES Mith. Keep us updated on this project. A couple years from now once you've fogotten some of the details what you've documented here can come in handy for you.
Post em if you got em buddy. :D :thumb:

Mith

I take lots of photos for exactly that reason Doc.
I'll keep up posting them here then....

Got the hoe chassis attached to the tractor today. I tacked the mounting brackets on slightly wonky (just enough to annoy me, not to cause a problem) and no amount of jumping on it will bend them into the right position. Nothing a bit of gentle adjustment with a big hammer wont sort though :D

14-10-07_1227.jpg

Mith

Got some goodies today. This little lot cost me the same amount as the tractor did!

Attachments

• 15-10-07_1341.jpg
    15-10-07_1341.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 117
  • 15-10-07_1403.jpg
    15-10-07_1403.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 115

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Looks like you are moving right along their Mith. Once you get started you are like a snowball heading down hill, picking up steam all the way.

Thanks for keeping us posted!!! :thumb: :beer:

Mith

Aye Doc, I couldn't help but go out and see how it fits. Thats the problem with building off plan, you're never quite sure its right till you give it a go. It fitted fine, just need to grind a small notch as one of the clearances is a little close. No big deal.
I've got about 140-150 degrees of swing.
You can also see in the pic how it leans down slightly to the right. Needs the application of the BFH to the left :D

Attachments

• 15-10-07_1831.jpg
    15-10-07_1831.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 121

quincy

Or as we call it in ireland, it requires a "BHS"... (technical term for "Big Heavy Sledgehammer")...lol

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Or as we call it in ireland, it requires a "BHS"... (technical term for "Big Heavy Sledgehammer")...lol

We use Mith's designations here. You are expected to own an LFH and a FH. If needed you can check a BFH or GBFH out of the tool crib in the parts department :hide:

Mith

:D Mark, wouldn't that be like turning up to a biker meet on a moped!

No pictures again today, I've been doing fiddly boring bits. Mounted the seat with the swivel, been working on the drive for the hydraulic pump and working on the gearbox.
The gearbox is nearly re-installed, and I'm hoping to finish the pump drive tomorrow.

Mith

Got a few bits done today. Its still all tacked together, but strong enough to move it about by hand to check it doesn't bind or hit anything.

Attachments

• 21-10-07_1646.jpg
    21-10-07_1646.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 121
  • 21-10-07_1832.jpg
    21-10-07_1832.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 121

Mith

Got a few fiddly hydraulics bits to do, but the main part is there....

Attachments

• 22-10-07_1409.jpg
    22-10-07_1409.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 117

shinnlinger

Mith,

I am impressed with your project. Is your tractor hydrostatic? If so when you get some free time and you have nothing to do(yah, right) I wonder how tough it would be to reverse the unit so it basically drives backwards. The only reason I suggest this is that your machine looks like it is a dedicated unit and the whole pop over to the drivers seat to reposion the rig every few minutes does get old. I'm suprised this isn't done more actually.

I was contemplating a hoe for my kubota when a 20 ton excavator became available for about the same $$$ as the hoe and obvoisly it was many many many many many many times the digger. It is becoming overkill for most of my projects now that the celler and driveway are done, but I tell ya. being able to reposition the machine while you are sitting at the hoe controls is a great thing. I think I am now so spoiled I will have to get a mini excavator.

I willl watch your hydrolic work with interest

Shinnlinger

ps I spent some time in Portland BIll and southern England last summer and I was very taken by the farming operations over there. Feilds that would be abandoned over here are worked (and have been for over 10,000 years probably) and some of your rigs are fairly different. I saw a JCB forward cab thing and similiar older mercedes units that looked pretty slick with front pto and the such. I don't believe I have ever seen a CLaas here but they are obvously popular where you are. what really struck though me was that you had far more massey fergesons running around than I have ever seen and I have a massey dealership the next town over . Others may correct me, but I don't beleive Massey has ever been more popular than Deere, IH case, or Ford NH over here for the big stuff, but you guys sure had alot of them over there.

Mith

Shinnlinger, the tractor is a gear drive. There is actually a loader that fits on the front (its not in any of the pictures so far) so turning the controls on the tractor round would hinder the operation of that. I took the loader off while working on the backhoe.

I'll be able to use the backhoe to push the tractor around when digging trenches etc, but for repositioning it will be a pain to turn around yes, but I cant really see a solution.

Up till now I have always rented an excavator, I don't have nearly enough work to justify buying one, and like you, all the big stuff is done. This backhoe is really just because I hate digging by hand :D

Thanks

I'm not a farmer, but from what I gather John Deere is expensive, and MF are a cheaper option, they have also been around for a long time. Deere seems to be a relatively new brand to the UK market, very very few older JD machine about, whereas there are hundreds of older MF machines.
Nice country around the Portland area

Mith

Done lots of fiddly bits. The hydraulic pump is done, as is the hydraulic tank, and some of the other parts. I might order some hoses on Monday and get a few functions working.
I have to take it apart to get it out the door, need a bigger workshop.

03-11-07_1900.jpg

quincy

You have a nice arm rest now Mith!!! Nice progression with the project.... wow, that tyre looks mighty close to the frame, I hope it works out ok for you.

Mith

The arm rest on the left is the hydraulic tank, the best part is that after a while it gets nice and warm. It's gunna be real nice in the winter! :D
There is about 1" between the tyre and the frame, hopefully it will be OK...

Mith

Getting right along with it. Got the chassis part of it painted and assembled. The stabilizers are plumbed in. The tractor hydraulics are sorted now too, need a few more hoses and fittings for the hoe. I cocked up the order and forgot a whole load of parts.

Attachments

• 18-11-07_1710.jpg
    18-11-07_1710.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 106