Off-Topic: Anyone Use a Grapple?

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
I posted this over on the Kubota tractor site but no responses.

I have a BX2230 and will be adding a LA211 loader and bucket.

I am also planning to add a grapple. I was all set on the land pride 48" unit (naturally) recommended by my Kubota dealer.

Then I read about the Wicked 48 grapple. I know it is more expensive but seems to be heavier duty and has teeth ground into the tines which would seem to limit rotation of whatever you have ahold of.

Anyone have any experience with these?

Thanks

10-e-c-dirt

I got a AnBo grapple mounted on a CaseIH 5240 w/ CaseIH 520 loader. I bought 1 size to big, weights around 1400, I think. but works good, just to heavy.

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Ohio pawpaw:

I have a grapple for my J-D 110. It's a pretty heavy duty unit. The top has two independent operating hydraulic grabbing sections. They grip uneven loads much better and safer, I believe, than the one section offered by Land Pride and others.

The grapple has been a 'best buy' for my application of moving rocks, logs and clearing brush. Much,much better for me than a 'thumb' on the dipper stick on the back hoe. More maneuverable when grabbing a load and moving it any distance. No matter if it's rocks moved to a ditch or logs out of the woods to a stacking pile or brush moved to a burn pile.

By the way, I was sold on the thumb on the back hoe, until I gave serious thought how it would be used. I have never regretted purchasing the grapple.

Keifer

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Here are several photos that will give you a better idea.

Attachments

• IMG_2366.jpg
    IMG_2366.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2368.jpg
    IMG_2368.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 66

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i would like to have one of those buckets that hinges up hydraulically to form a dozer blade. and also use it to grab things.

aarkie

I have a Vassar grapple. Instead of looking like a open bucket its more like a blade with a set of fingers and is heavy duty. I did not have the hydraulics on the front and did not want to pay the high price to have them installed. Instead I ran a set of hoses from the back of the tractor to the front to control it. With a small tractor be careful and don't get a grapple so big you can not use it. If you pick up too big a load you will lose some traction on the rear tires so you need a 4x4. You will need a counter weight, like a box blade, to keep the back down. Keep the load balanced or you could tip over. If you work on a hill always keep the load up hill so you don't do a nose dive. When you learn how to use it it'll save you a lot of time and labor.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Everything attachments has a 5% off sale on certain items. I think- EA made items- but only thru 11:59 pm eastern Saturday Feb 15. 2020. They have some grapples called Wicked and list their weights for the smaller tractors. code - KYSHOW - %5 isn't much but just thought I'd list it. This grabble is supposed to fit a BX with LA211 but confirm anyways - description may be old in ad.
https://www.everythingattachments.com/Root-Rake-Grapple-For-Kubota-BX-p/ea-bx-wrrg.htm

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
I agree with aarkie in that a grapple, or even pallet forks can present additional safety concerns. With either attachment an operator may attempt to exceed the limitations of the tractor and/or the attachment. An example: Loads that are off center as with logs or other heavy items. Or, moving the tractor and load on uneven ground. Tractors are pretty stable on level ground but can introduce a sever pucker factor in a nano second when lifting on uneven ground or driving into a rut or into a hidden woodchuck hole. Don't ask me how I know.
While we are talking tractors here, the same common sense applies to RTV's loaded with heavy loads in the bed when transversing hills or steep grades. When you have ANY doubts if it's safe or not... DON'T do it.

71sschevelle

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I have a grapple for an SVL75. Great for stacking brush, loading debris, cutting firewood. #1 attachment

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Agreed. Even the skid steer being used low to the ground can scare the " livin daylights " out of you when even just using a standard toothed bucket.Those hidden holes and ditches.... Been there and done that more than once and leaning the other way doesn't really help. "Jeepers" now I'm gonna have a hard time sleeping tonight after remembering that experience (s) . . :eek: x2 collie