missing UDT

Rico

I just turned 45 hours on my L39 and did the ten hour lube job on the FEL and BH and decided to also check the engine oil & UDT level. To my surprise the UDT level did not even make it to the bottom of the stick! I have fifteen new gallons of super$$ UDT which I had ordered for the 50 hour service and used that to top it off. I was not very happy when it swallowed about 2 gallons of the stuff. Had I known I would of just done the 50 hour service a bit early although I am in the middle of grading and trenching and rushing before winter sets in. I was more concerned about the fact that I have been working the machine with the level so low. I am also at a loss as to where it has gone. I did have a leaky stabilizer piston replaced but the mechanic added a gallon of UDT and exercised the stabilizer after the addition and we checked the level. I also checked it the next day and it was fine. I must have been using the machine for fifteen hours with the level low if it was due to that repair. I still cannot believe that the stabilizer piston would swallow more than a gallon and the mechanic had some line caps that he screwed onto the lines to prevent leaking while replacing the piston. I know that the machine has a nearly 15 gallon capacity of UDT but cannot help wondering if any premature wear was occurring during this time. What do you think and where could of all that UDT gone?? I have a very clean garage floor and see no leaks anywhere.

Thanks

larryRB

I think you were low to begin with. Replacing the cylinder and replacing ine gallon of oil will show full until you operate the machine and hour or so.. Like anything mechanical, especially oil,, it takes a while before the oil is fully loaded in all areas that it belongs. I would watch this for a while longer, checking the level. Do you check warmed up or cold?

shinnlinger

IS UDT Hy-tran? If so, were all of your pistons at half extension? If they were fully extended that could be were some of it went.

Mark777

Rico,

I am inclined to go with Larry’s scenario.

Hydraulics do mysterious things and give false symptoms, especially after simple maintenance. Blocked vents, cold and warm operating temperatures and cycling loader and 3PH controls often trap air and give unreliable dip stick readings.

Only once (OK twice but with the same tractor LOL) did I find a low hydraulic fluid reservoir and discovered the front pump seal failed, filled the crankcase with fluid via the timing case cover. That’s most probably not the case with your tractor if you can account for the engine oil being normal.

Mark

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
You guys addressed the low fluid, but what about possible damage?

If you run low, I think you would have a lowered capacity, but would or could you also damage the hydraulics in any way?

Archdean

"What do you think and where could of all that UDT gone?? I have a very clean garage floor and see no leaks anywhere."

Did you hurt your machine=NO!

You said he replaced the stabilizer and added a gallon (overfilled) but you checked both times when it was "cool/cold it appears by your description" then you state that you WORKED the machine. What happened was it got hot and peed it out the vent (common event and it always pees out more than it needs too) That's where it went, no need to worry!! And Your machine will appreciate the Supper$$ UDT it will be smoother and faster than just using UDT!

Hope this helps answer your concerns!

Dean

Rico

Well thanks guys, I feel a bit better. I checked the oil when the machine was cold back when he did the repair. When I checked it yesterday the tractor was at operating temperature. I added .5 gal at a time ran the engine moved the FEL position a few times and turned it off, let it settle and than checked it again until I arrived at the correct level (around 2 gallons). The level seemed fine today but now I see a drip coming from my right side curling piston.:sad: I can't win! It just started leaking and only two drips after five hours of use. I check them all before and after I do any extensive work. I am at 50 hours now after 5 in the seat today.

Thanks again!

Rico

Today I checked the UDT level and now it looks over full. I would say about 1/8" over the full mark but with a cold engine. I am seeing what was said about the oil being very hard to see on the stick. I wonder how much fluid it takes to get to where it is from where it should be. I have to drop it all anyway but will be extra careful when refilling.

Thanks again!

Archdean

Rico Rico Rico,

You are being way to preoccupied with what a "DUMB" stick says!! More damage is done by overfilling :badidea: then being under filled!!

Fill it and FORGET it, is a good rule unless you break a hose or lose a seal in a cylinder!!

Enjoy your tractor and be sure to not just exercise your FEL as you described above but RAISE to the full extent possible ~pause~ lower to the ground~REPEAT (at least 10 full cycles) then and only then can you be confident that you have bleed the system of the air!!

Hope you quit fretting and start to enjoy the fine machine you own!! It will tell you when it needs something!:mrgreen:

Rico

Rico Rico Rico,

You are being way to preoccupied with what a "DUMB" stick says!! More damage is done by overfilling :badidea: then being under filled!!

Fill it and FORGET it, is a good rule unless you break a hose or lose a seal in a cylinder!!

Enjoy your tractor and be sure to not just exercise your FEL as you described above but RAISE to the full extent possible ~pause~ lower to the ground~REPEAT (at least 10 full cycles) then and only then can you be confident that you have bleed the system of the air!!

Hope you quit fretting and start to enjoy the fine machine you own!! It will tell you when it needs something!:mrgreen:

Archdean,

Thanks so much for the helpful advice. I do tend to fret on, well just about everything as I have been blessed with ADD. Glad also to hear you sound like a believer in the super UDT!