Who Restores their Tractors ?

Mark777

Just gotta say I'm very pleased with a forum (like this) that is not brand or color specific. And not even a tractor only kind of a forum either.

I have seen some of the prettiest rebuilds and paint jobs on some tractors that look destined for retirement on someones show room floor....Also seen some high line automotive finishes with great results AND some rattle can jobs that look pretty amazing.

Do we have any members that restore, paint or customize their tractors and implements??

Mark

Mith

I keep buying stuff with the intention of restoring it, but alas, I never get round to it and end up using it as-is.
Its one of those things I'd love to do one day.

I had a go spraying the rear fender pan of my tractor, lets just say the results werent anything to write home about ;)

I always look at those nicely rebuilt/restored tractors (like yours Mark :eek:) and think that I'd like to do that.

My skill and money pretty much runs out after painting over rust, and repairing what's broken.
I'm well up for hearing a few tips and tricks if anyone cares to make a thread on them.

Mark777

I understand perfectly Mith.

That IS the problem isn't it? When you finishing repairing, rebuilding and get everything to proper working order....Jumping on, testing and putting something to work vs. forcing yourself to take the last step and refinishing everything takes a certain amount of self restraint and discipline.

There remains one 'constant' that pushes me to repaint nearly every project I complete...and that would be the unexplainable emotions of accomplishment (or reward) when the project is put together...you stand back and look and give yourself a slight nod of approval. Must be an ego thing.

A long story put as short as possible (and someday I'll tell the whole thing LOL):

There was a gent that had a look at our tractors and expressed great interests in repainting his own. He constantly PM'd me, e-mailed me and eventually some very long and interesting phone calls as well. He copied every email verbatim, took notes on the tips and tricks we provide him and went out and bought all the necessary tools required to repaint his Yanmar. He taught himself to paint through the written and spoken instruction, and IMHO that was a pretty courageous big step to take.

Some of you may know him as Whiskey and here are his results of his first attempt.

Attachments

• Whiskey's 187.jpg
    Whiskey's 187.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 106
  • Whiskey's ll.jpg
    Whiskey's ll.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 106

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Mark,

Off topic but I want to know more about the rear wheels/rims (and tires on for that matter) on Whiskey's tractor! I would like a rim that will hold industrial or turf. Where can I get the size comparisons for the Yanmar?

Mark777

BD,

I'm fairly sure he said he found them through the Titan Agriculture tires web-site....(www.titantire.com) -or- (www.titanstore.com)

Titan made a fairly impressive intro into off-road, farming and industrial sales even before they bought out the Goodyear Agriculture tire division in 2005. They also have a 'Wheel" manufacturing division in Quincy, IL. and make many styles and dimension wheels for John Deere and several others....But, I think Whiskey's wheels are stock.

If you view their website, they also offer 3 different, rather large PDF catalog downloads. Hope this helps,

Mark

Mith

Mark, the name Whiskey rings a bell. Care to invite him here to share his experiences restoring that very fine looking tractor?

BD, I think they are R1w treads. Think they call them Terra Tires, if that helps.

Mark777

I'd like to Mith....he is a character to boot.

Unfortunately I've lost his email and he hasn't answered any PM's for 3-4 months.

I'll put up a few pictures sometime when I'm home and have access to my photo file. I'd rather have one good OLD tractor than 10 new ones. I appreciate anything that's been around a while and served it's owner well.

My screenname is all about my way of getting most of what I have. I'd buy used "junk" that someone had troubles with, fix everything, paint it up like new, use it for a while, then pass it on in favor of another project. Only the best get to stay around for long.

3 of my "fleet" are still waiting for their turn in the shop. (Golden Jube Ford, F-40 Ferguson, and MF50) If I ever get finished with the 150, next on the list is dads old Ferguson F-40. That's the first tractor I ever got to drive by myself. I was 9 years old when dad bought it. It seemed like the biggest baddest tractor on earth back then.

Alrighty then! I made it home and now I'm going to attemt to post my first pictures on this site. Here's the latest pics of the 150 after mounting new tires this past weekend.

Attachments

• Titan3.JPG
    Titan3.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 78
  • Titan6.JPG
    Titan6.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 77
  • Titan7.JPG
    Titan7.JPG
    151.5 KB · Views: 75
  • Titan4.JPG
    Titan4.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 72
  • Titan5.JPG
    Titan5.JPG
    151.5 KB · Views: 78
  • Titan8.JPG
    Titan8.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 75

Grrrr

That Massey is beautiful, being a Ford guy I don't know much about them. How old is it?

I think it will be a pre 1970 model giving that it has red rims (Atleast thats how it is in the UK)

I agree, it is beautiful. I can't believe you manage to keep it in that condition and still work it for a living.

Do you take it out to any shows at all? If not, you should :D :D

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Beautiful!!! That tractor looks better than some I've seen at shows. GREAT job. :thumb:

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
my first pictures on this site. Here's the latest pics of the 150 after mounting new tires this past weekend.
Gorgeous! The first pic should be your avatar here. I wasn't going to post into this thread, for obvious reasons... :) but that Massey is simply outstanding!

That Massey is beautiful, being a Ford guy I don't know much about them. How old is it?

1971. According to it's serial #, it rolled out of the Detroit plant about June or July of that year. It was (is?) the first new tractor I owned. From day one, it's been my favorite. I bought a 3000 Ford (gas w/loader) the next year, and a 5000 Ford 2 years after that. I stuck a turbo on the 5000 and promply snapped the crankshaft. Sold it and bought the 2440 Deere I still have in 1979. I sold the 3000 2 years ago and bought a nice 3000 diesel to replace it. So I've had my share of Henry Fords blue tractors too.

Grrrr commented on the silver trimmed rims on the 150. It was 1974 before US marketed 100 series went to solid red front wheels. Also, the battery cover (under the steering wheel) were 2-toned until 1973, then all red.

Last edited:
It didn't always lead such a charmed life. 2 years ago, here's how she looked. The rebuild started after I found a new steering wheel center cap on ebay. I thought it would look nice to clean it up a bit, replace a few parts, and throw on a coat of paint.

Before and after!

Attachments

• masseyclean.JPG
    masseyclean.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 78
  • Titan2.JPG
    Titan2.JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 70

Grrrr

Theres another difference to the UK / US tractors. After 1970/1 the rims changed from half red half silver to all silver. In the US they obviously went the other way.

And all UK tractors had a red dashboard I think. Never seen a silver one I don't think.

Mark777

Wow...what a fantastic restoration. I've always like that model as it's unique with Massey's rear fender mounted lamp assemblies.

The depth and reflectivity shows excellent paint and body work. Must be a high line automotive paint like DuPont or PPG acrylic or urethane enamels (and clear coat?). Been staring at, and blowing up the pictures, looking at the detail to all your transfers (decals) and bright work. Looks like NO short cuts and done as a labor of love.

Excellent Job!

Mark

Theres another difference to the UK / US tractors. After 1970/1 the rims changed from half red half silver to all silver. In the US they obviously went the other way.

And all UK tractors had a red dashboard I think. Never seen a silver one I don't think.

US built and marketed 135's had a red dash. The 150 was only sold in North American markets. Here's a little "informal history" of the 150.

The 150 was the result of an experiment by Massey Harris engineers that started about the time of the Ferguson/Massey Harris merger. Harry Ferguson was opposed to building a bigger tractor. He was convinced the market would continue to support tractors from the TO-20/TO-30/TO-35 lineage. Massey Harris design engineers wanted bigger and higher horsepower models to go head to head with their primary competition, Ford. MH engineers were responsible for the MF65 about to be released. There was an MF75 on the drawing board that never saw production, then the MF85/90 series. When the two companies first began to merge, MH saw a need for a true row crop version of the venerable 20/30/35 series. With some of the design basics of the 65 being used, they took the engine and transmission of the 35 and went to work.

At first, shortly after the merger, the two names stayed seperated. There were still Massey Harris dealers and Ferguson dealers, at times even competing directly against each other. Their product lines were somewhat different but beginning to blend.

Massey Harris dealers coveted the successful 20/30/35 series. What they got was the Massey Harris 50. That took the 35 drivetrain and added the front axle and axle bolster, sheet metal, cooling system, fuel tank, steering system, dash (along with its better instrumentation) and engine air filter location of the yet to be released MF65 and morphed a "new" tractor. Ferguson dealers, not to be left out, got a very simular version, the Ferguson F-40. The only differences, besides badging, was a slightly different grill and hood. The biggest difference between the 35 and the 40/50 line-up was the 40/50 was available in a high clearance row crop version known as the "high arch". It was essentially the same tractor with 38" rear wheels instead of the 24" or 28" wheels on the "standard". High Arch models were available in wide front, or narrow front with single or double wheels. The heavier front axle and bolster gave the 40/50 a longer wheel base than the 35. (Approx. 9") That made the new tractor handle heavy rear mounted implements better. The bolster added a solid mounting point for front end loaders as well as mid-mounted cultivators. The longer wheelbase made the tractor respond to wider wheel track settings, providing a more stable tractor. With the heavier straight axle of the 40/50, gone were the radius rods of the swept back axle of the 20/30/35.

MH50's were in production for 2 years. (late 1955, 1956, and early 1957) F-40's were built for less than 2 years. (early 1956 to mid 1957) With the change in brand name in 1957, to Massey Ferguson, the MF 50 was released. Sometime in 1958, the 50's powerplant, the Continental Z134 4-cylinder gas engine got a partner, the legendary Perkins AD3-152 3-cylinder diesel came on board. Gas models were rated at 32 hp. Diesels were now 38 hp.

By the time the MF35/50/65/85 models hit the fields, Massey Ferguson was beginning to develope their first "in house" designed models. The DX series. Later designated as the 100 Series, these were the tractors that put Massey Ferguson on the map. The 35 became the legendary 135. The 50 went on to become the 150. Hydraulic systems, especially the draft control system was upgraded. Bigger cooling system was added, a new dry air filter replaced the old oil bath filter. All new sheet metal covered the tractor. The 150 came standard with flat-top fenders and full instrumentation that were options on the 135. A deluxe seat was added, along with PAVT (Power adjustable variable tread) rear wheels were standard. In Univ. of Nebraska testing in 1965, the MF150 diesel became the most fuel efficient tractor tested to date. It held that honor for almost 10 years. Through the end of production, the Perkins diesel was still factory rated at 38 hp. The very same engine stayed in production for various models for nearly 50 years. In some configurations, the same engine was rated as high as 53 hp (engine) (My 150 was "turned up" (fuel screw on the injector pump) to 47 hp pto when it was about 2 years old. It still dyno's 47 hp. )

By the release of the 100 series in late 1964, US markets were clamoring for MORE HORSEPOWER. The 135 was a big seller, but when farmers wanted bigger, they went much bigger. 150 sales never matched the demand that the earlier model 50 saw. Sales of the 150 were good in certain regions though. Kentucky and Tennessee were it's hotbed of sales. In 1967, Massey Ferguson blended serial number records together for the 135, 150, 165, 175, and 180. There is no way of knowing exactly how many 150's were produced. It is estimated that there were well over a million 135's built, but 150's were less than 100,000 in number.

I bought one of them!

In late 1975, Massey Ferguson released the 200 series to US markets. There was no comparable model to the 40/50/150 in the 200 series line-up.

Last edited:
Wow...what a fantastic restoration. I've always like that model as it's unique with Massey's rear fender mounted lamp assemblies.

The depth and reflectivity shows excellent paint and body work. Must be a high line automotive paint like DuPont or PPG acrylic or urethane enamels (and clear coat?). Been staring at, and blowing up the pictures, looking at the detail to all your transfers (decals) and bright work. Looks like NO short cuts and done as a labor of love.

Excellent Job!

Mark

I used "off the shelf" OEM Massey Ferguson acrylic enamel paint. (w/ a good bit of PPG hardener)