Painting my Yanmar 155D

HI all, I plan to repaint my 155D, starting in a week or two. Its in pretty sorry shape right now...paint wise. Just finished getting it into running condition after it sat for 8 years. Now I am going to make it purty. I know I am not upto Marks abilities but I am not a newbie to painting either.
Anyway, I plan to post a running step by step commentary along with photo's as I go. IF it can help someone who has never done anything like it before, thats all I want. Mark777 is the expert on painting in the forum so I am depending on him to keep me honest. ;) And to keep my mistakes to a minimum. :whistle:

Okay, here are some before photo's so everyone can get an idea of what is ahead of me.

Attachments

• IMG_0862.JPG
    IMG_0862.JPG
    279.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0864.JPG
    IMG_0864.JPG
    280.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0865.JPG
    IMG_0865.JPG
    266.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0874.JPG
    IMG_0874.JPG
    267 KB · Views: 40

shimp

hey GC

will it buff/polish without repainting?

i luv that old 'puke' green yanmar color of paint=Honestly!!

look forward to watching your progress, and thanks for sharing it with us :)

ps-hope you go back with the factory green:)

hey GC

will it buff/polish without repainting?

i luv that old 'puke' green yanmar color of paint=Honestly!!

look forward to watching your progress, and thanks for sharing it with us :)

ps-hope you go back with the factory green:)

Naaa...its far past buffing or shining the original paint. I do have a spot up under the hood that is not faded and is the original color. I plan to take some of it in and get it scanned at the paint dealer to get a match. I will post the numbers of the paint mix once I get it so if anyone else needs it they can have it mixed as well.

Yea, I actually like the color myself as well. There is no way I would paint it red. I am tempted to paint it a fiery type blue, maybe with some racing stripes...;) Naaaaaaa!!!:bump:

Grrrr

I think that a Yanmar is the only make that can actually wear that :puke1:color and still look good :D :D :D

Mark777

...... Mark777 is the expert on painting in the forum so I am depending on him to keep me honest. ;) And to keep my mistakes to a minimum. :whistle:......

Dennis, Lets get this expert painting thing cleared up right away;) !

The ONLY differences between expert and novice painters are the fact that experts (B.S.) take risks, shortcuts and create problems...whereby years of experience shows them how to chemically correct (or disguise) their mistakes....The very same mistakes and shortcuts that they NEVER should have taken in the first place! :D

I have seen some unbelievable paint work from fist time painters who judiciously followed instructions from paint bulletins and reading the back of the paint can....

Patience and preparation has always been (and always will be) the secret to good paint work...and probably the most common mistake a journeyman painter hurries through and produces mediocre results.

I, like many others, look forward to your "How To" tutorial.

Mark

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Why's everybody always pickin on me?

Attachments

• P1040736rHitch,QH,Forks,Lum.jpg
    P1040736rHitch,QH,Forks,Lum.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 92

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Dennis, have you noticed how similar our loaders are? The way the hydraulic controls are mounted on an adjustable pipe, and those flat bars to the rear axle, are unique.

I think your loader was built by Great Bend also. Does it have any logos on it indicating it was sold as a Yanmar loader?

Dennis, have you noticed how similar our loaders are? The way the hydraulic controls are mounted on an adjustable pipe, and those flat bars to the rear axle, are unique.

I think your loader was built by Great Bend also. Does it have any logos on it indicating it was sold as a Yanmar loader?

I talked to the guy I got it from the other day. He had bought it new locally way back when, actually, it was his dad that bought it at the time. Anyway, he said it came with the loader already on it and it was colormatched so he presumes it came factory equiped. There arent any logos or anything that I can find on it indicating who it was made by. I have searched every nook and cranny on it trying to find something.:bb: But I think you are right. They are too similar for it to be chance. I am wondering if maybe the US distributor at the time put the loaders on before shipping them out to the dealers. :huh:

Mark777

Hey Dennis,

Before you start, and I know your toe is kaput...tell me, do you have a compressor, shop, air tools, paint gun(s) (what types) and other basic equipment one should need while contemplating their first refinishing?? And, very important, what kind of paint, primer, hardeners etc..will you be using??

(Got to keep tabs on what my painting colleague's are using)

Mark

Hey Dennis,

Before you start, and I know your toe is kaput...tell me, do you have a compressor, shop, air tools, paint gun(s) (what types) and other basic equipment one should need while contemplating their first refinishing?? And, very important, what kind of paint, primer, hardeners etc..will you be using??

(Got to keep tabs on what my painting colleague's are using)

Mark

:D Yep...got my shop and a compressor that puts out up to 145 psi with a 80gal storage. So plenty of air. Have 3 or 4 paintguns, one bottom feed, the other two are HVLP top feed, one for main and the othe smaller for touchups. Then I have an old style metal paintgun pro type. I also have a 2 gallon pressureized paint reservoir that I can run to the one gun. What I used when I painted my corral. As far a paint, primer and hardeners, havent reached that stage yet. Got some hardener left over from when I painted the AC but disremember what kind unless I walk out to the shop and look. And that will have to wait a day or two.:sorry: till my foot is a bit smaller and will fit into me shoe. :bump:

Mark777

Hey Dennis....

Eagerly wainting for updates or progress on the painting of Your YM155D. Made any headway??

(how's the toe?)

Mark

Hey Dennis....

Eagerly wainting for updates or progress on the painting of Your YM155D. Made any headway??

(how's the toe?)

Mark

Toe has recovered...mostly anyway. Tractor is likely going to have to wait till spring for its fresh coat of paint. Its turned too doggone cold here lately to even think about painting anything. Plus have some other irons in the fire that have been taking alot of my time. Been lurking here off and on just reading when I had the chance but hadnt had time to do any posting. Been working on a new sideline to make a few bucks. Dont know yet if its going to pay off, but will see.:wave:

Mark777

Well that's good...I mean the toe.

Yeah, I hear you. If you can't sustain a temperature above 55° it's difficult to make hardeners and reducers work properly. And there's always Spring, when the fingers and toes work better anyway :).

Good luck with your new endevor.

Mark