RTV x1140

MSM

I"m thinking of buying an RTV x1140 for use at home as well as riding in the mountains in Arkansas. I have looked at polaris as well, but they are not as well built. Any thoughts, preferences?

Thanks Marc

ovrszd

I have an RTV and a Yamaha Rhino. With the RTV it's slow and heavy built. With the Rhino it's faster and lighter built. RTV is generally built to work. UTV is generally built to play.

Welcome to NTT!!!

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome !! RTVs are tough- I have/ had 2 900's and are so pleased with them. 4,200+ hrs on the 2005 when I sold it to buy this 2011 RTV 900. so far - near 3200 hrs on it. Only thing done to it so far are rear ujoints and battery.
Mine does slow down going up inclines though. No belt to slip or wear out neither. Hydraulic dump is a real plus. bordercollie

MSM

Rtv x1140 Purchase

Thanks for the reply, I just want a good machine. I know they are not that fast, but I also know they are well built. Will they climb steep hills /inclines? I'm in to trail riding in Arkansas, no mud!!

71sschevelle

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Rtv's are great machines but I wouldn't want one if my primary use was trail riding in steep terrain. If you get one make sure to get hand throttle. It will help keep rpms up when climbing. I've owned rtvs since 2004 and polaris since 2008. I couldn't say either brand has given me any real problems.

ovrszd

My Rhino will climb STEEP inclines that the RTV won't even attempt. No wheel speed. No ground speed for a "run" at it. Heavy machine. Minimal suspension flex.

All these things equal no steep climbs.

If that's your priority, but a UTV.

If your priority is a "work" vehicle with long dependability, buy a RTV.

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
Personally I wouldn't enjoy driving the RTV on trails recreationally for very long. It is really under powered and slow. That said I wouldn't trade it for any other machine to do work with on the farm. I've said it before you will just have to buy one of each

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Well...... If it involves work like here on the farm with cattle, I like it- it put the Kaw mule I had to shame. I do avg about 600 hrs a year with it. As far as a pleasurable machine, it is because it is dependable... bear in mind that it weighs near 2,000 lbs and for hauling sprayers, T posts and all my tools but the kitchen sink - it is the thing for me . If I wanted to zip up mountains though I would have to do some heavy thinking.. The RTV I have now, the 2011 RTV 900 xt ,goes up inclines in H whereas my 2005 would not do nearly so well. We have a little hill we live on not far from where the delta starts .. guessing I can run down to 20 if the hill was much steeper it would be more loss.. that is from 28-29 mph on flat ground. My model has no hand throttle and is much improved in that regard over the 2005 . bordercollie

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
You have to love the creature comforts of a heater/defroster and the air conditioner in the RTV 1100 series. However, that's just me. I think the RTV 900 series is a real workhorse of a machine. Think work and chores and you will lean toward the RTV. Think trail riding ... not so much RTV.

Fordman

Site Supporter
I agree, we had a polaris before we bought our 1100 ,the polaris is Fast & rides good but we had Major clutch/belt problems! And polaris says no warranty on any belt or clutch ! We repaired $780 and SOLD ! The 1100 is slower but we don't haft to worrie about breaking down lol , I Highly recommend the Kubota as the other guys & gals have said, we do some trail riding as well

William

Bigsteak

I have a 1140 and love it,I live in Florida so I have not encountered many LONG steep hills but it has been great for all the terrain I have encountered ,and for me 25 mph down wooded trails is enough for me. And remember on this post there are a lot of different models and sizes talked about here,the ride of the newer ones with IRS ride so much better and the longer wheelbase on the 1140 is nice too. The 2 seat / 4 seat sure is nice also lots of room in the bed, and I also built an aluminum roof /rack that has come in very handy.

seery

We use our RTV900 for everything work related (and a little bit of play), whereas our RZR 1000 EPS is for play only.

The RTV is built like farm tough (like a tractor), the RZR is built trail tough.