RTVX-1120 - Camo or Orange?

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
Well it won't be long now and the debate has resumed...Camo or Orange.

This unit will be worked hard on our tree farm but in the fall and winter months, it will also play hard supporting our hunting activities.

I am a lover of good camo and from what I can see, Kubota did not spare any expense applying a good camo job that appears to hold up to the brush and trees. It also costs 400-500 more depending on your dealer.

My Wife believes that since the unit will be hauling stuff to several parcels of land via a township road that visibility (orange) is critical plus during hunting season, you are less likely to be mistook for a deer. Last but not least, it is less expensive.

She has gone as far as reminding me that it should match our BX2230 which is also orange.

Guys, if there are any further camo justifications you can help me with, I would greatly appreciate it.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I prefer Camo too. That seems like justtification enough. :yum: Maybe get the dealer to throw in the camo and pay full for other stuff so it appears the camo is not an extra cost. If the dealer will put it that way on paper ....that would look good.
Camo goes with everything. I have an orrange Kubota 3010 and it gets along just fine with my Camo RTV 900.

My granddaughter had a tee ball game today in Rutland. Is that close to you?

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
My Wife believes that since the unit will be hauling stuff to several parcels of land via a township road that visibility (orange) is critical
As a motorist, I'll vote for visible. I don't know how many times a camo-painted raised pickup has gotten closer before I noticed him, compared to anything not intentionally invisible.

You've probably had that experience with motorcycles or bicycles that appeared out of nowhere. Overall you reduce the odds of getting hit on that slow vehicle if you are highly visible.

Do deer care about the color of your transportation? I would think the noise and smell are evident to them even before they see color.

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
As a motorist, I'll vote for visible. I don't know how many times a camo-painted raised pickup has gotten closer before I noticed him, compared to anything not intentionally invisible.

You've probably had that experience with motorcycles or bicycles that appeared out of nowhere. Overall you reduce the odds of getting hit on that slow vehicle if you are highly visible.

Do deer care about the color of your transportation? I would think the noise and smell are evident to them even before they see color.

I agree with the orange color particularly if you are close to pubic hunting land or travel roads.

I have hunted in Michigan for over 50 yrs and I gave up on public land years ago. Too many amateurs in orange and it only takes one.

As far as deer seeing color, according to the Michigan DNR and other studies, deer are pretty much color insensitive. What they see in orange or other bright colors are large patches of dullness. Those large dull area normally don't occur in nature so they make the deer wary as they are supposedly very aware of the surroundings they travel everyday.

Camo works better because it has areas of varying shades that breaks up the pattern.

Personally, I'd drive orange and park it away from where I hunt or lean a couple pieces of brush on the visible side.

If I had camo I'd use it but if given the choice I'd pick orange, eventhough it might lower my testosterone level if I drive it.:whistling:

I would think the noise and smell are evident to them even before they see color.
Deer are quite common on my property and like to spend time in my woods and near the polebarn. It's amazing how quickly the become accustomed to smells and movement they see frequently. I can have 3-4 within 15 ft of my driveway and pass then in my pickup. Generally they just lookup and watch for a while. I can walk out the back door if they are within 30 ft and they just look unless I head towards them.

They are used to the generator, chain saw and Kubota unless I drive close to them.

The one thing that they have never gotten used to is a metallic sound like a cocking hammer, dropping a piece of metal or anything like that. They just go on high alert and generally move away when they hear anything like that.

Last edited:

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Deer are quite common on my property and like to spend time in my woods and near the polebarn. It's amazing how quickly the become accustomed to smells and movement they see frequently. I can have 3-4 within 15 ft of my driveway and pass then in my pickup. Generally they just lookup and watch for a while. I can walk out the back door if they are within 30 ft and they just look unless I head towards them.
Yep. Here's a photo I posted on here 10 years ago.

Subsequently all the new vineyards going in nearby got fenced leaving my orchard a darn zoo. I counted a herd of 14~18 in one spot, likely more elsewhere. We finally fenced last summer due to extreme damage on newly planted replacement trees. I kinda miss the little guys.

attachment.php

ovrszd

I've cut firewood for a couple hours, then crank up the tractor to move and nearby Deer jump up and run off. Bedded down within 200ft of where I've been working with tractor and chainsaw..... I'm in the timber a lot. Figure I'm being watched by Deer the whole time. Don't think they care whether my tractor is orange or camo. :)

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
Looks like safety will win out and we will go with orange. My Wife and Daughter will also operate the RTV on those county roads so visibility is important. Plus, if we ever change our minds, I see there are vinyl camo wraps available from orangeaftermarket.com. Not cheap but they appear to be good quality. Thanks for all the input.

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
I liked the look of camouflage but couldn't justify the high cost no way. So... my RTV is orange. I like the visibility when traveling on our back roads too... poking along at a speedy 27 mph. Also, I have the slow moving vehicle triangle hanging on the back. As far as the deer, they come running when they hear that little diesel engine... ya think they might associate with a corn handout maybe?
You can use the $$$.$$ saved from not getting the camo for some other use ... lights, radio, tires, a dinner out with your spouse for agreeing on the RTV in the first place.