GENERATOR INFO

Heatwave

Anyone looking for a big generator?

I have a 200KW turbine engine generator I'd like to sell. It's made by Solar (a division of Caterpillar). At 11 gallons per hour no-load and 40+ GPH at high load, I can't afford to run the darn thing...

That's quite a bit more generator than I can justify. Thanks, just the same.

And I gotta ask: how in the world did you end up owning that monster?

razerface

I have a 200KW turbine engine generator I'd like to sell. It's made by Solar (a division of Caterpillar). At 11 gallons per hour no-load and 40+ GPH at high load, I can't afford to run the darn thing...
wow,, i thought mine was bigger then i need! I am getting ready to sell my 25KW because I can use a 10KW. Mine runs on a White 4 cyl engine,, propane powered right now.. It is a katolite.

200kw is a biggie!

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Actually, there's 2 of them.

A friend and I bought some commercial property. These were part of the backup power system.

First pic is the 2 generators.
Pics 2 & 4 are the blowers for the air supply. There's 4 blowers total. 2 for intake and 2 for exhaust.
Pic 3 is a panel that controls the power. It's standard position is commercial but there's knobs and such so you can switch it over to generators for testing.
There's a 35,000 gallon fuel tank but it's been sealed.

Attachments

• CIMG6471.jpg
    CIMG6471.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 81
  • CIMG6465.jpg
    CIMG6465.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 81
  • CIMG6458.jpg
    CIMG6458.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 80
  • CIMG6484.jpg
    CIMG6484.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 81

Kanook

Seen a few of those over the years...Part of raised floor computer sites UPS back-up...During the big east coast failure about 10 years ago, one of the gov sites forgot to ensure the tanks were full...room full of computer hardware went clunk....2 back-up generators, 1 fuel tank...oops! :hide:

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
............. and the way it sounds,
THIS MUST BE THE FUEL LINE !!! uh ?

........ two guns

Attachments

• Zoom's Generator.jpg
    Zoom's Generator.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 82

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It would seem so based on the fuel use but actually, that's for the turbine exhaust. The fuel line is in the floor.

The empty racks on the left of the picture are for the batteries.

Across the top of the generators (left to right):
That gray 6" tube contains the generator output.
Plenum that's not directly connected is exhaust to pull the heat out of the cabinet.
Connected plenum is the air supply.
The plenums are connected to those big blowers in the previous pic.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
wow,, i thought mine was bigger then i need! I am getting ready to sell my 25KW because I can use a 10KW. Mine runs on a White 4 cyl engine,, propane powered right now.. It is a katolite.

200kw is a biggie!

How do you like the propane generator Razerface? We are in the thinking stage of getting an" auto on" one.. We have a 500 g farm propane tank and then the house tank but would get a 1000 gallon house tank if we went that way.. Right now , we have 2 ancient diesel ones and a welder/10k combo that is 5 yrs old and we will keep it.- we use mainly for welding and that is it's main purpose for us . Thanks for any replies. collie

razerface

An advantage of the propane is they will start in the cold,, It does not "gum up" fuel lines from not running, and runs very cleanly. You do not have to worry about fuel since the tank is filled for other purposes(usually heat)

A bad part is,,,maybe your propane tank is getting down to needing refilled when the electric goes out,,,,which is usually in the winter, when propane is expensive. If you are using propane for heat,, you get hit hard because the propane gets burnt for the generator and the furnace at the same time. Some of them are fuel hogs! Check that!

I personally, do not use the "auto on" switch. I believe in my case, it wastes fuel. My house is extremely tight and insulated. The electric could go out and my house would be fine when I get home from work and hit the button to get it started. Instead, with the auto on,,it would have run for maybe 8 hours before I get home,,while no load was needed,,, just wasting fuel. If the switch could be programed to run for 1 hour every 4 hours,,,just to renew the heat and refrigerator,,,it would be worth that while I was gone.

I like diesel because it can sit for a long time and the fuel will still be good. I always have diesel around.

I have a brand new 10KW welder/generator that I am going to use as my emergency electric, replacing the 25KW propane genny. My new house has a lighter total electric load then my old one,,,so the smaller genny will work for me. It will be maintained and ready from welding during the year,,,doing double duty as the emerg genny.

I also have a wood stove,, so if elect goes out i may just go to bed and not care when it gets dark!

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have a brand new 10KW welder/generator that I am going to use as my emergency electric, replacing the 25KW propane genny.
Razer - You mentioned wood stove but do you also have/use electric heat?

I too heat with wood but just to toss it out there, a 10KW probably won't be enough to run a good size heat pump or heat strips.

razerface

Razer - You mentioned wood stove but do you also have/use electric heat?

I too heat with wood but just to toss it out there, a 10KW probably won't be enough to run a good size heat pump or heat strips.

I have geothermal with a propane furnace backup, with a Harman TL300 wood stove backing that up. The fire has been burning 24/7, so nothing else has kicked on except when I get lazy with the fire, or don't get home on time. I have burned 15 gals of propane this year.

I did not get the heat strips for a backup after seeing other peoples bills using them. Sometimes electric is cheap,,sometimes propane,,,wood is always cheap since it is free from my woods. Not much splitting this year because of all the snow,,,but I am 3 years ahead.

10KW easy runs my geothermal.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
We are in the thinking stage of getting an" auto on" one..

I purchased a "auto-on' for my parents about four years ago. (20K)
Had it professionally installed.
.... Turns itself on every Wednesday at
5:00 pm, and runs about 15 minutes..... ( for auto testing )

Give me some comfort to know they are covered if things go wrong ....

......... jamie

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I purchased a "auto-on' for my parents about four years ago. (20K)
Had it professionally installed.
.... Turns itself on every Wednesday at
5:00 pm, and runs about 15 minutes..... ( for auto testing )

Give me some comfort to know they are covered if things go wrong ....

......... jamie

You are a fine son Jamie. God bless you for having such a good heart! :tiphat: collie

oldhat

Site Supporter
I have 3 generators, honda 3500 and a 5K. The one I have had the longest but do not use very often is a 4 cylinder, water cooled 2 K ( probably will do 4K easy) Navy back up.from WW2.
Built my house using that Gen, and never have had a problem with it. It can set for years and with new fuel and battery has always started. Fuel use although not as good as the honda is not bad.

rapracing

I'm using a Military surplus MEP-002a (5kw military rating, actually 7.5KW) and an MEP-003a (10kw, actually 12.5kw). The military under rates their generators there for the higher rating in the civilian world.

Both Diesel. The smaller runs on .5 gph and the larger 1 gph. They are built like a tank.

A couple pics of the 002

Attachments

• 31QSCI13092004E.JPG
    31QSCI13092004E.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 31QSCI13092004C.JPG
    31QSCI13092004C.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 28