Winshield and mudflap question?

This is a great site for RTV info. I have learned lots in the short time since I stumbled on the site!

I just bought a 2013 RTV900 (last on the dealers lot).

I suspect that this will be used for garden/yard maintenance on 3-4 acre site. Don't anticipate it will see much use in woods/trails and likely will only see 3 season use (deep snow here in 4th season and already use B3030 and F3080 for snow removal).

I talked myself out of purchasing windshield and front mudflaps at time of purchase (usually I am not that sensible).

My initial rationale was that I would "appreciate" the additional air flow (of no windshield) in hot weather, but after taking it out yesterday for a spin (- 16 C) I questioned my decision about windshield even for spring and fall use.

I have already been over the machine with fluid film but after reading older posts going back 2-3 years, I wondered if there is a downside to the mudflaps such as ground clearance?

Has anyone had regrets about purchasing either the windshield or mudflaps?

Thanks for any input on these 2 issues.

rapracing

First time you use it even in a little rain you will wish you had a roof and WINDSHIELD. Never had mud flaps so someone else can chime in on that.

ETA: If it doesn't have a roof it probably is not a big deal on the windshield. You'll get wet anyway

BaiJiu

Welcome to the group, I put the windshield on mine and love it, bottom pushes out if I want air flow in summer.

Yes it does have the Kubota black plastic roof.

It is a good point, I hadn't thought about the rain issue relative to the windshield.

BaiJiu

Actually the 900 I bought came with mudflaps on the back, they are only rubber but they work just fine and I don't have to worry about ripping them off, they move out of the way of stuff quite easily.

Actually the 900 I bought came with mudflaps on the back, they are only rubber but they work just fine and I don't have to worry about ripping them off, they move out of the way of stuff quite easily.

Mine has rear also. I was actually wondering if the front mudflaps were of any benefit in reducing front wheel splashback on battery shelf, etc

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
I talked myself out of purchasing windshield and front mudflaps at time of purchase (usually I am not that sensible).
Has anyone had regrets about purchasing either the windshield or mudflaps?
QUOTE]

Comes from factory with back flaps. Don't know why they did not install ones on the front. BUT, GET THEM !!!! They keep much from "caking up" under the cab where washing is much hard.

WINDSHEILD:
I, like yourself, left the dealership without a windshield. MISTAKE, MISTAKE, MISTAKE !!!!
The way the RTV is designed. You will freeze your butt off without it even if it's just a little cool. The cold wind and rain, will come inside your cab and form a votex of ass bitting cold. You will see. We live in the south, we don't get snow and cold like it happens up north, and we had to go back and get one !!!

....... two guns

Attachments

• man-im-so-tired.jpg
    man-im-so-tired.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 123

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to Net Tractor Talk Sandalwood. I'm glad you found us. And yes I feel very very fortunate to have all the RTV expertise here that we do.

I started out without a windshield, since prior to the RTV I used an ATV, no roof or windshield there. Then I someone here told us how he did what I refer to as the poor mans windshield and I tried it. Sure made a difference. (all it was was the plastic stuff they make for using in house windows in the winter time. You use a blow driver to make em tight). That worked fine and stopped rain and wind so much so that when user here was upgrading to the glass windshield I bought his used plastic one. It works well. It does show scratches. I can sure see the advantage of glass, but will made do with plastic for now.
I do think you will be very glad to have a windshield in front of you. :thumb:
Mudflaps are a good idea to. Like twoguns said, keeps all the crud from accumulating way underneath the RTV.
Congrats on your new RTV, and welcome to NTT. :tiphat:

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your RTV!

I'm getting old... Don't like the winter wind on my face when driving anything faster than the tractor. I keep my windshield on year-around but wouldn't want to go without it in our norther winters. I also have a windshield on my ATV.

Like 2-guns said, mud flaps help on keeping the crud off. I too use them.

Glad you already latched onto the Fluid Film. Although my RTV doesn't get near the hours some here do, at nearly 10 years old, it doesn't have rust on it.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi Sandalwood and welcome to the best RTV family around. :tiphat:
On the mudflaps for the front, they are really good deflectors. They will tear over time but are easily replaced .. Two Guns made a template of the rubber piece so he is ahead of the game and ready should that occur. :tiphat: to Two Guns.
When you install the flaps using the welded on nuts already on your 'bota ,consider putting some anti rust stuff on the bolt threads.. Probably not an issue but I did it so I can take them off easily if they happen to rust.. I have a set of collieflaps on the "old style "rear and love 'em. They keep my aftermarket tail lights with bottom lights clean so I can back up after dark more easily. :).I also posted a picture of border collie Belle resting while I'm working... You can just see how well the front and rear flaps work in this picture.. lots of mud caught by them..(I am running my worn out summer tires in the last picture they take wear off of my Blackwater Evolutions) but ran over a stob with the old ones - it was as big as my thumb so they are history..plus worn out even worse than the picture.)
I don't have a windshield.. Too many poking limbs are around when chasing cows.. I agree with the others though.. Getting old and the wind is cold.... collie

Attachments

• 1225131537a.jpg
    1225131537a.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 105
  • 1211131126a.jpg
    1211131126a.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Thanks to all for the warm welcome. I am looking forward to several years of enjoyment of RTV. Bought it mostly for wife and neighbor to use for yard and garden maintenance (they currently use lawn tractor with a small pull behind wagon for combined 5-6 acre properties). The RTV seems a far better method for the 2 of them to get around the properties and move materials (mulch, soil, fertilizer, manure). I'm also hoping to get some use out of it when they are not looking ;)

Bordercollie, the rear mudflaps you have, how did you attach them?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Bought it mostly for wife and neighbor to use for yard and garden maintenance (they currently use lawn tractor with a small pull behind wagon for combined 5-6 acre properties).
The RTV is much better than a tractor/wagon most of the time. Be careful in the Spring when the ground is soft. The RTV does weigh in at around a ton so it can/will make more ruts than a lighter tractor on soft ground. What tires do you have?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Bordercollie, the rear mudflaps you have, how did you attach them?

The "old style" RTV ,where the tail lights are mounted to the dump bed, have a metal bracket for the lights. I cut a piece of small angle iron the width of the mud flap and then trimmed the mud flap straight and mounted it to the rear of the bracket.. I have a thread on making them. I will find and bump or else post the link. :) collie

edit: http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15370&highlight=flap

The RTV is much better than a tractor/wagon most of the time. Be careful in the Spring when the ground is soft. The RTV does weigh in at around a ton so it can/will make more ruts than a lighter tractor on soft ground. What tires do you have?

My wife has already read me the riot act on spring time use. :0

We have a 100 x 100' "wet" area that has to be mowed by hand for the first month or so in the spring.

I have the work site tires that came with it.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sounds like you've already had "the talk".

Be careful with those worksite tires. They don't like slick surfaces. They'll cake up and leave you sitting there.