Who says you can't get Grim Reapers stuck?

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Today was the first day over 20 deg in a long time so I decided to trim the apple tree. Easy enough, I'll just back the 900 under it to stand on 'cause it will go where no man has gone before. Well not so fast.

I back it under the tree and notice I need another couple of feet so I put it back in gear and start back. Then it just drops through the crust it was on and spins. Heck, I'll just lock the rear wheels in four wheel drive, pull forward and out. Well, my yard is sand to China and the rear wheels just keep digging down and the front spin on ice.

Rocking goes nowhere so I get out the Yamaha 350 Quad as the truck won't fit in front of the 900. Should have left that one in the shed.

Luckily, I had purchased a Badlands 3500 winch from HF a while back and had decided to make it adaptable to either end by bolting it to a 1 1/4" flat receiver. That's all I'd done as I didn't expect to use it for a while.

Installed it in the front receiver and cobbled together the wiring to a deep cycle battery. Hooked my 4" tow cord around a couple of trees, attached the winch cable. Put the 900 in low with the wheels turning and started the winch. Didn't move more than a couple of feet when the tires found traction and pulled itself out.

Just shows to go yuh, that no matter how good the tread is, they need something to push against.

2014-03-07131748_zps7f726b03.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

2014-03-07134314_zps172a08a0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

2014-03-07134533_zps7f16e680.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

2014-03-07135510_zps03d64030.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

2014-03-07135530_zpsfed40b2f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

chad450r

Been der done dat!! only we where 2 miles from the house and STUCK, when the RTV gets on it's belly your as good as done.

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for your story. Most have been there, or almost there -- STUCK lol. Really appreciated the photos. Thats a cool idea of a winch that will work in the front or rear of the RTV.

hope you got your tree pruned.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
That is good information advanti. Thanks for posting it. I have been in the same position but with bottomless pit mud. When we get bad stuck we call it stuck,stuck.. referring back to one of the old farmer comics ya see in cattle magazines." The one with Flo" ;) collie

Mark.Sibole

LOL All to common story.Grim reapers have good traction BUT when you get them biteing hard and they dig you to the frame.Once on its belly all you can do is sit and say "what was I thinking" lol.Thats why I wish they would have made the fron differential to lock.When you buy and pay for a 4 wheel drive you expect 4 wheel drive not the limited slip garbage.

LOL All to common story.Grim reapers have good traction BUT when you get them biteing hard and they dig you to the frame.Once on its belly all you can do is sit and say "what was I thinking" lol.Thats why I wish they would have made the fron differential to lock.When you buy and pay for a 4 wheel drive you expect 4 wheel drive not the limited slip garbage.

Amen!

I wish ARB Air Lockers would look into the Kubota market, they could make a lot of sales I believe!

kobe

Please note that the man knows how to properly use protection draped over the cable. A long time ago I watched a cable hook go back through a windshield And then out the back window of a Ford Bronco. The Ford and the vehicle pulling both had their wheels spinning at the time.

Heatwave

Try this when high-centered in 4WD: don't leave front wheels pointing straight ahead ... cock them over fully one way, then back the other, and apply the power. Give the front wheels a fighting chance at getting a bite of something solid enough to get the machine's frame off high center. The front wheels can't bite anything directly ahead or behind them ... their only hope is to catch some solid turf while they're pointing out. And when that fails, hope there's something within unyielding reach of your winch cable. Been there.

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Please note that the man knows how to properly use protection draped over the cable. A long time ago I watched a cable hook go back through a windshield And then out the back window of a Ford Bronco. The Ford and the vehicle pulling both had their wheels spinning at the time.

One way to get older is to not keep repeating the same mistake. Many moons back, in my 30's, we were winching out a 3/4 ton Chevy pickup. A lot of strain on the cable, 12,000# or so winch. Cable broke at the end with a crack like a Japanese 7MM followed by an ungodly whistle as the cable snapped back. Luckily, no harm no foul but I'll never put a cable under winch tension without dampening again.

Bob

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
Try this when high-centered in 4WD: don't leave front wheels pointing straight ahead ... cock them over fully one way, then back the other, and apply the power. Give the front wheels a fighting chance at getting a bite of something solid enough to get the machine's frame off high center. The front wheels can't bite anything directly ahead or behind them ... their only hope is to catch some solid turf while they're pointing out. And when that fails, hope there's something within unyielding reach of your winch cable. Been there.

that is a good idea for a limited slip front dif but if you got a fully locked front dif that's the best way to snap a cv joint another good way is keeping your foot on the peddle while the front end bounces . seen lots of guys snap the front end doing this I have never broken any cv joints or axles so far because I just give up and use the winch or comealong to pull myself out. lots of people complain about having a limited slip front dif but it's really a good thing it's a lot easier on the axlesand cv jonts. we use a old trick on the limited slip atv's all you gotta do is apply a little pressure to the brake and it will fool the dirferential causeing both front tires to pull instead of just one. don't know how it would work on a utv because of the one brake peddle but on atv's with the front brake lever it works pretty good.i seldome use my rhino with the front dif locked unless I'm pulling someone out or if I'm getting into some deep gumboother than that I just run it in 4x4 with the front dif in limited slip mod.