Idling

cov62431

We've had to replace a few of them. Can't say that there is an "average" amount of hours. Some with less than 1500 hours, some at over 3000 hours. For us I think it depends on how often the customer stops and starts the engine. There's alot of that.

Tailrotor

..... and may I add, that is not the thick vegetation. That is why when I go on a blood trail. I leave the rifle in the truck and drag out my .45.
Rifle barrel gets hung up on vines, limbs, etc >>>> slows one down.
I've killed a many of wild boar hogs with the .45, by just walking up on them.
And also, the .45 has saved my life many times, when they (hogs) have charged doing their best to kill you...... The .45 have saved me and many other men a few times on other things also....

...... two guns

Two Guns
Nice!! 45 I know exactly what you mean I never, never leave home with out one of my babies. You never know when you might have to put a zombie down.

Or when your wheel falls off your new RTV X :yum: I be ready!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 81

BaiJiu

I couldn't even buy a hand gun, let alone carry one. You can't even imagine the BS here to purchase/use a hand gun.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Has anyone (bordercollie, perhaps) replaced started in an RTV yet? If so, at how many hours?

Hi ccmdvl1960, No, I never had to replace a starter even on the high hour '05. I had to replace the stop solenoid and the key switch though.. That was the fun thread when I thought the collie Belle had started the machine as she waited for me,by the seat. http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12486&highlight=real+starter I kept the starter basically dry but for busting ditches of water and occasional mudholes.. No horseplay -busting 'em just to get to the other side... ;) . collie

TRIBUTE100

UPS delivered a package to me the other day. When I heard him I walked out as he was turning around. He saw me and knew I would walk up to the truck and get the package, yet he still turned off the diesel engine. I asked him why and he said they are told to cut off the engine each time they stop. Now in this case I think it was just a matter of habit. I'm sure UPS does this to save on fuel based on the average stop time rather than preventing problems with the diesel engine.

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Their trucks might be equipped with GPS units that record/transmit stop and idle time like ours do. That's another way to keep track of where they are.

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
UPS delivered a package to me the other day. When I heard him I walked out as he was turning around. He saw me and knew I would walk up to the truck and get the package, yet he still turned off the diesel engine. I asked him why and he said they are told to cut off the engine each time they stop. Now in this case I think it was just a matter of habit. I'm sure UPS does this to save on fuel based on the average stop time rather than preventing problems with the diesel engine.

UPS delivery trucks are gasoline. Their OTR trucks are diesel.
Safety/Security rules require that unattended trucks be shut down.

The older diesels (large equipt) were often started with compressed air or a pony motor and weren't always reliable so idling long periods was deemed acceptable and more reliable. But long periods idling are a fantasy in the minds of many because they were told diesels prefer to idle rather than short periods of shut down. Realtree has it right and further, idling engines suffer from upper-cylinder lubrication due to poor crankshaft oil-sling. If you are not working it for more than a few minutes it's better to shut it down (unless you're in a tank invading Moscow in the winter.)