turbo for rtv?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Re: turbo for RTV?

"How do I post a photo"</P>

When replying, right below the message text box is a "File attachment" option. Click on browse and point to the file on your PC.</P>

G

Re: turbo for RTV?

So it looks like you guys came up with that yourselves right? Its not a Kubota turbo off the turbo charged version of that engine.</P>

</P>

</P>

jolaru

One would have to think that Kubota designed the drivetrain and frame structure and performance to be compatible.</P>

If you make a substantial change to any component, it stands to reason that other systems and results change also.</P>

If the object is to measure performance by the ability to "throw the best roster tail", then horsepower might beone answer.</P>

On my place, aspinning tire never accomplished any productive work. If the engine performance is greater than the work ability, all you have is tire spin.</P>

But then my 350 HP 1966 Corvette or 245 HP 1983 customized CJ-7 has never been off the pavement. My pocketbook is not deep enough to play with them and get into high maintenance.</P>

No offense intended.</P>

TravisImel

<FONT color=#ffa500>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT face="Times New Roman" color=#000000>No offense taken.</FONT></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p><FONT face="Times New Roman" color=#000000></FONT></o:p></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT face="Times New Roman" color=#000000>The main reason for our development is the fact that we are at a 30%+ disadvantage due to altitude.</FONT></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT face="Times New Roman" color=#000000>None of the installations we have completed were for recreational use, but i have two scheduled.</P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"></FONT></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT face="Times New Roman" color=#000000>What we have done here is make a product useable which otherwise would be worthless.</FONT></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT face="Times New Roman" color=#000000>If a person wants to ability to "throw the best roster tail" then buy a gas unit.</FONT></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT face="Times New Roman" color=#000000>If you want a diesel workhorse that will operate at high altitude we have a solution.</FONT></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT face="Times New Roman" color=#000000></FONT></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"></P></FONT>

jolaru

Travis,</P>

I respect your effort to improve the performance of the RTV900 at high altitude. I confused improving performance with increasing horsepower. You are talking about getting the designed performance of the engine to the ground, not necessarily increasing engine horsepower.In this case, underperformance is altitude related, not horsepower design. If the engine will not develop design torque at your altitude, improvements to develope the factory 21.6 hp will more nearly result in expected performance.</P>

In my area where altitude is less than 500 ft. above sea level, this is not an issue. After one develops operating skills thru a learning curve and understands the intended purpose and capabilities and limitations of the machine, the factory design, based on tractor technology, is more than adequate for the intended purpose.</P>

Joe LaRue</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Joe

The solution proposed by Travis would probably do little to nothing at your altitude. At 10,000+ feet, I believe it would make huge a difference as to whether the RTV works for someone or not. At those altitudes, without the kit, as noted by Travis, it's like having a 15 HP to get you around.

Brian

G

I just spoke to someone who installs turbos on RTV's, he said that he gets "about 40 HP" from his turbocharged RTV. When I asked at what pressure is he running, he mentioned that he didn't have a gauge on. I am sure this was not verified on a dyno, but if it was correct, that is a lot of extra power. </P>

</P>

T</P>

Londoner

I looked into a turbo for my RTV last year fearing a loss of power at high altitude (live at 7000 feet). Mine definitely has problems on hills unless it is in low gear. </P>

FYI there is a company is SW Colorado that makes a kit but it costs about $3,000 which is why I don't have one.</P>

Sorry I can't find my posting on this subject but its in the data base somewhere </P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="Londoner"]Sorry I can't find my posting on this subject but its in the data base somewhere [/quote]
Is it this thread?
http://compacttractorreview.com/cs/forums/post/5792.aspx

To find your old posts, right under your name in any other post is "Posts nn" (where nn is a number). Just click that and you can see your old posts. It works well if you don't have hundreds.

G

Not really looking for brute force,but sure would be nice to be able to haul a load up the hill to feed the cows. (1@300lb. Guess Ill just keep my ass froze to the tractor.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="Anonymous"]Not really looking for brute force,but sure would be nice to be able to haul a load up the hill to feed the cows. (1@300lb. Guess Ill just keep my ass froze to the tractor.[/quote]

300 pounds should me no issue whatsoever. I've hauled 1000# up some pretty steep hills.

What altitude are you at?

When going up the hill, do you have the accellerator mashed to the floor or are you running it at about 50%. At 50%, you'll actually have a lot more power since the aux. pump can then kick in.