turbo for rtv?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hey Dean,

I'm baaaccckkkk. Been offline for awhile as I was at Disney with the kids.

Please don't take this the wrong way but were you having a bad day yesterday?

Now, I'm not sure where I fit in this since I am happywith my RTV but if they did come up with a reasonably priced turbo, I'd consider getting one.

I've been following the posts about this in all the same forums you have and if I recall correctly, the reasoning for the turbo was not for speed but more for power. Dargo even reiterated that here. He didn't say he wanted to go faster up the hills, he said he just wants to get up the hills. I myself have hills that are so steep that I still have found no way to climb in anything other than low gear. My woods climb over 300' of elevation in 900' of depth.Even with the trails I've cut to traverse the hill still require the RTV to climb 30'in 50' of travel. Ican't even consider the steepertrails.

Now, like you've posted and many of us are learning, there are driving techniques that are unique to the RTV (or HST's in general) that take awhile to get used to but I don't think that should establish the "maximum performance" that could be made available to a vehicle.

If we as people didn't constantly consider raising the bar on performance (or anything else), we wouldn't have rocket ships, F-16's, CH-47's (I prefer the CH-53E myself) or jet-assist skateboards. We would be on bicycles, driving Model-A Fords and our tractors would still be running on steam.

So, I guess I'll close in saying that most recognize that the RTV is a work vehicle but don't believe the bar is at its limit. There's always room for improvement and for the subject at hand, yes... I do believe more power would be an asset. If they came out with 2 models from inception and one had a 30HP engine, I'd assure you, the 30HP model is the one I'd have purchased.

Brian

PS - Actually, I heard a rumor that Kubota is considering making a cheaper version of the RTV.It will be the same base machine but with many options removed to lower the price.Has anyone else heard this?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hey Dean,

I'm baaaccckkkk. Been offline for awhile as I was at Disney with the kids.

Please don't take this the wrong way but were you having a bad day yesterday?

Now, I'm not sure where I fit in this since I am happywith my RTV but if they did come up with a reasonably priced turbo, I'd consider getting one.

I've been following the posts about this in all the same forums you have and if I recall correctly, the reasoning for the turbo was not for speed but more for power. Dargo even reiterated that here. He didn't say he wanted to go faster up the hills, he said he just wants to get up the hills. I myself have hills that are so steep that I still have found no way to climb in anything other than low gear. My woods climb over 300' of elevation in 900' of depth.Even with the trails I've cut to traverse the hill still require the RTV to climb 30'in 50' of travel. Ican't even consider the steepertrails.

Now, like you've posted and many of us are learning, there are driving techniques that are unique to the RTV (or HST's in general) that take awhile to get used to but I don't think that should establish the "maximum performance" that could be made available to a vehicle.

If we as people didn't constantly consider raising the bar on performance (or anything else), we wouldn't have rocket ships, F-16's, CH-47's (I prefer the CH-53E myself) or jet-assist skateboards. We would be on bicycles, driving Model-A Fords and our tractors would still be running on steam.

So, I guess I'll close in saying that most recognize that the RTV is a work vehicle but don't believe the bar is at its limit. There's always room for improvement and for the subject at hand, yes... I do believe more power would be an asset. If they came out with 2 models from inception and one had a 30HP engine, I'd assure you, the 30HP model is the one I'd have purchased.

Brian

PS - Actually, I heard a rumor that Kubota is considering making a cheaper version of the RTV.It will be the same base machine but with many options removed to lower the price.Has anyone else heard this?

G

I've heard it, but its been nothing but rumor. Never anything from Kubota. They would be fools not to expand the line and try and move more units. The thing has been a huge success and I am sure there is other stuff in the works.

I am not sure what they would change to get the cost down. Maybe a gas version... not HST? I don't know... all those things kinda take away the heart of what the RTV is.

G

I've heard it, but its been nothing but rumor. Never anything from Kubota. They would be fools not to expand the line and try and move more units. The thing has been a huge success and I am sure there is other stuff in the works.

I am not sure what they would change to get the cost down. Maybe a gas version... not HST? I don't know... all those things kinda take away the heart of what the RTV is.

larryRB

This months compact equipment magazine has about a twelve page article on the top ten Rtv's One of them, can go 40 mph, however, it had 600 lb weight limit.. The Kubota model strictly states, one for work only, one for hunting, but still no faster or more power, one for golf courses and one other... All four are basically work related first.. The golf job has turf tires, the hunters model has grille guards and so on. The work model is the slowest, speed wise of all ten models listed. It also has the heaviest weight carrying capacity of them.. If I ever had to have one, it would be the basic work model..

larryRB

This months compact equipment magazine has about a twelve page article on the top ten Rtv's One of them, can go 40 mph, however, it had 600 lb weight limit.. The Kubota model strictly states, one for work only, one for hunting, but still no faster or more power, one for golf courses and one other... All four are basically work related first.. The golf job has turf tires, the hunters model has grille guards and so on. The work model is the slowest, speed wise of all ten models listed. It also has the heaviest weight carrying capacity of them.. If I ever had to have one, it would be the basic work model..

Archdean

Hi Brian,

Yes as a matter of fact I did but it certainly wasn't any of you fellows fault, MY APOLIGIES TO ALL!!

Sincerely,
Dean

Archdean

Hi Brian,

Yes as a matter of fact I did but it certainly wasn't any of you fellows fault, MY APOLIGIES TO ALL!!

Sincerely,
Dean

drtoad

<font size="1">I went to the ag show in Louisville over the weekend and saw a RTV with a tubocharger installed. The gentleman's name is Paul Morris, and his business will install them. He quoted me a price of $1995.00 installed. His web site is www.paul@boschlights.com his phone number is (812)689-5620. His e-mail is boschlights.com The address is:
Bosch Lights
162 So. Co. Rd 175 W
Versailles, IN 47042
</font></p>

drtoad

<font size="1">I went to the ag show in Louisville over the weekend and saw a RTV with a tubocharger installed. The gentleman's name is Paul Morris, and his business will install them. He quoted me a price of $1995.00 installed. His web site is www.paul@boschlights.com his phone number is (812)689-5620. His e-mail is boschlights.com The address is:
Bosch Lights
162 So. Co. Rd 175 W
Versailles, IN 47042
</font></p>

Dargo

Archdean, I respect your opinion but will kindly disagree with your basic conclusion. I understand quite well what the design and intention of the Kubota RTV. However, I believe that to reach it's potential, it is weak on power and will become a follower rather than a forerunner if the lack of power is not addressed. There is no reason at all that the RTV cannot be a work machine but be capable on the trails. I didn't say that I expected it to be a rocketship, as it is based as a work machine. That being said, sit back and watch the competition. They will take the wonderful attributes of the RTV and simply add more power and torque, leaving the RTV figuratively and literally in their dust.

About 10 years ago when diesel pickups began a serious comeback in our country, they had "adaquate" power and around 160 hp. Competition basically said that it was a good idea, but it was a dog. Now, if your new entry into the diesel pickup truck lineup doesn't have at least 300 hp, it will sit on the dealership lot until the tires rot. I like most everything about the RTV except it's relatively weak engine. About 10 more hp and a similar bump in torque will make it closer to where the standard diesel UV will be in a few years.

I can fabricate aftermarket parts and make the improvements myself, but I really do not have the time. I'd rather reward those who have already taken the initiative to do so with my hard earned dollars, and make my RTV now what they will be in a few years. That is my objective right now, and that is what I am wanting to find. My only issue is that for the 2K price tag that has so far been found, I can (and likely will) make my own modifications to my RTV or, as I said before, go with the first manufacturer who offers such. The buying segment of these units will never settle for an engine that does not have enough power to turn the tires when climbing a steep hill. That, my friend, is simply underpowered.

With that said, my search continues; only on other venues. I assure you that by fall I will either have my RTV powerful enough to be a competent trail machine as well as a workhorse, or I will own a unit that is.

Dargo

Archdean, I respect your opinion but will kindly disagree with your basic conclusion. I understand quite well what the design and intention of the Kubota RTV. However, I believe that to reach it's potential, it is weak on power and will become a follower rather than a forerunner if the lack of power is not addressed. There is no reason at all that the RTV cannot be a work machine but be capable on the trails. I didn't say that I expected it to be a rocketship, as it is based as a work machine. That being said, sit back and watch the competition. They will take the wonderful attributes of the RTV and simply add more power and torque, leaving the RTV figuratively and literally in their dust.

About 10 years ago when diesel pickups began a serious comeback in our country, they had "adaquate" power and around 160 hp. Competition basically said that it was a good idea, but it was a dog. Now, if your new entry into the diesel pickup truck lineup doesn't have at least 300 hp, it will sit on the dealership lot until the tires rot. I like most everything about the RTV except it's relatively weak engine. About 10 more hp and a similar bump in torque will make it closer to where the standard diesel UV will be in a few years.

I can fabricate aftermarket parts and make the improvements myself, but I really do not have the time. I'd rather reward those who have already taken the initiative to do so with my hard earned dollars, and make my RTV now what they will be in a few years. That is my objective right now, and that is what I am wanting to find. My only issue is that for the 2K price tag that has so far been found, I can (and likely will) make my own modifications to my RTV or, as I said before, go with the first manufacturer who offers such. The buying segment of these units will never settle for an engine that does not have enough power to turn the tires when climbing a steep hill. That, my friend, is simply underpowered.

With that said, my search continues; only on other venues. I assure you that by fall I will either have my RTV powerful enough to be a competent trail machine as well as a workhorse, or I will own a unit that is.

Archdean

Dargo,
No problem with me, with your disagreeing with my basic conclusions!!

Iwill just add this from my "Basic observations" Kubota is and probably will stay a CONSERVATIVE Company!! There primary marketing target was obiviously notfor your type of desired use!

There are also libility considerations for vehicles that are capable of over 29 MPH and I seriously doubt Kubota wants that exposure with their RTV class of vehicle!!

Then again I could be proven wrong!![:$]

Best of luck in your quest and please keep me abreast of your success!

Dean

Archdean

Dargo,
No problem with me, with your disagreeing with my basic conclusions!!

Iwill just add this from my "Basic observations" Kubota is and probably will stay a CONSERVATIVE Company!! There primary marketing target was obiviously notfor your type of desired use!

There are also libility considerations for vehicles that are capable of over 29 MPH and I seriously doubt Kubota wants that exposure with their RTV class of vehicle!!

Then again I could be proven wrong!![:$]

Best of luck in your quest and please keep me abreast of your success!

Dean

Dargo

The 25 mph top speed is just fine for me. That's not the issue. For the weight it has, the unit is just underpowered.

Dargo

The 25 mph top speed is just fine for me. That's not the issue. For the weight it has, the unit is just underpowered.