This deisel gets great mileage! can it run a 12 kw generato or Woodsplitterr off the Hydraulic outlet?

G

This deisel gets great mileage! can it run a 12 kw generato or Woodsplitterr off the Hydraulic outlet?

I'm thinking if I got the RTV 900 with the aux. hydraulic power connectors. I have a wood splitter that runs hydraulic over a gas 9.5 Wisconsin gas motor. And if the power goes out could I run my Homelite 11,800 watt generator off the hydraulic outlet? My generator is powered by a V-4 1800 RPM Wisconsin (power rated at 22 HP? Will the hydraulic coupling run this sort of stuff? Or just the liteweight stuff that they show on their website? Your input would be appreciated.

G

Re: This deisel gets great mileage! can it run a 12 kw generato or Woodsplitterr off the Hydraulic outlet?

The hydraulic system is made to run continously, its just the outlet off the back of a tractor. That being said, the application that you have is not best accomplished by hydraulics. The log splitter probably has close to double the hydraulic flow than the RTV puts out, you'd loose performance by hooking it up there. For a generator, a hydraulic pump could run a generator, but its hard to know what kind of power you could expect out of it. A PTO driven generator takes 2 HP per 1KW of electric, add in the loss, heat, and other inefficencies of a hydraulic system and I'd guess you'll see close to about 5500-6000 watts IF you can find a hydraulic motor that will spin at 1800 RPM's like most cheaper generators do.

Topcat

Re: This deisel gets great mileage! can it run a 12 kw generato or Woodsplitterr off the Hydraulic outlet?

If it takes two horsepower (diesel fuel) to get one kilowatt of electric couldn't you get ten kilowatts or so of power out of the twentytwo horse RTV diesel. Another point the smaller single cylinder and twin cylinder generators all work at 3,600 RPM. The larger continous duty generators operate at 1,800 rpm. My 11,800 watt Homelight generator produces 21 horsepower at 1800 RPM (V-4 Wisconsin air cooled). The V-4 Wisconsin produces 41 horsepower at 3600 rpm but at 1800 RPM it's continous rated. I'm trying to figure out how to get the most bang for my buck if I'm going to spend $14,000 on A RTV900. Thanks TRC

G

Your right about the conversion from 2hp to 1KW. The problem comes from running the engine though all the hydraulic pumps, piping it though hoses, and then dumping it back though another hydraulic motor. That process is not nearly as efficient as strapping a generator right to the driveshaft of an engine. I can't say for ceritan what your going to get out of it, but its not going to be a full 10-11Kw. </P>

</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

My 2 cents...

I "personally" wouldn't use the RTV for either the splitter or the generator.

My reasoning (and this applies to my scenario):
When processing firewood, both the splitter and RTV are normally being used either at the same time or switching back-and-forth between the 2 machines during the day. Having 2 independent machines makes the process much easier. In my case, the RTV is often connected to a trailer that gets backed up to the wood shed which is where the splitter is sitting. Too far away to connect to the splitter.

For the generator, as Neil already mentioned, there's too much overhead and power loss to run the size generator you've mentioned.

For both the generator and log splitter, I prefer the independent engines for a couple reasons.
1. I would prefer to put all those high-rpm hours on smaller throw-away engines than on my RTV or larger tractors.
2. As already mentioned, my tractor/RTV may be needed for wood processing or other things when the splitter or generator are being used.

Brian

G

As always the information on this site is very helpful when trying to make a decision on the RTV900. I guess I'll keep maintaining the two other gas motors. Thanks again for your help! TRC

Hawsie

Yes 12kw is way off for output. I have had and sold a couple dozen kubota powered gensets and all of them use d905es in them basically the same engine as our rtvs. With this engine they only turn a 6 kw generator and thats direct coupled not with hydraulic power. Now that is pretty conservative and built for longevity and continous use and it turns at only 1800 rpm The engine could actually turn more but Kubota rates this engine as a generator at only 8.9 kw at 1800 rpm and once again thats direct coupled and dedicated for only that.