Locking front diff. for RTV 900 ?

G

Hi guys and girls. I am trying to make up my mind on either the Kubota rtv 900 or the Yamaha Rhino. I know that they are two totally differant machines but with a common platform style. I don't really want to go fast (my kids want me to get the Rhino), but I have seen videos of the Rhino doing some really neat rock crawling. I want my machine for Deer and Moose hunting in northern Ontario Canada. Plus some off season duty on our small acerage. I want to go everywhere. The Rhino will do this for me. However, the Kubota is more than twice the machine for the money. Diesal engine, power steering, hydrolics everywhere. I feel that if I could lock the front diff. and have truely 4 wheel drive, the Kubota will take me everywhere ( with power steering, engine braking, and I could even carry my moose out of the bush on the back). Am I asking too much? Is this( kubota)the machine I should be considering? Do you guys think it would get me through the muck and myer, up and down rough terrain and back again? I like the Kubota, I want the Kubota, I need 4 wheel drive locked differencials. Is there a kit that I can buy or even make to make the Kubota the hands down winner in my quest to find the best off road hunting machine?</P>

Gary</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hmmm,

Can you tell us more about the terrain and ground conditions, particularly where you're going to hunt (assuming that's the more difficult terrain then your acreage)?
Obviously, the Rhino can out-perform the RTV in extreme conditions. Weight is another consideration as the RTV weighs almost twice as much and may get bogged down. For both machines, appropriate tire selection is needed and I would probably get a winch as well.

What's the climate when/where you hunt? If you tell me it's extremely cold, neither are going to care for it when starting but the diesel may have a harder time.

If you have comparable conditions near where you live or are going to purchase, I'd propose seeing if you can get a demo unit and see how it does for you.

G

bczoom, thanks for the input. Terrain in northern Ontario is everything from steep hills, large bald bedrock exposing itself from benieth the soil which could be soaking wet peet type slop, forest,washed out hard packed stone roads and the odd swamp thrown in if we dare to try. Weather is usually wet/wet snow with temps. around the freezing point. Your point is well taken about extreme conditions. As much as I like everyting about the Kubota (except for no locking front diff), I am being swayed towards the Yamaha. It will carry any sized deer I shoot (God willing) and lets face it, how the heck am I going to get a 1000 lb. moose into the back of the Kubota anyway? I'm a self employed contractor ( a tool guy) past the midpoint in life. Its time too stop buying tools and start buying toys, I think. Thank you for your coments. I guess I should find some rhino forums to gather more info to see if thats the way I should go. Thanks again, and I'll be back, Gary</P>

G

Hi Brian, Ranger has no down hill engine braking unless your foot is still on the throtle to keep the cvt engaged. Yamaha's cvt is always has tension on it enable engine braking. Ranger is more AWD while Yamaha is fully driver controlled. All my off road machines have been Yamaha, ever since I was a Kid. I guess it's just in my blood. Thanks for the web sites, I'll check them out tonight. Gary.