Another tire thread

Sorry to bring up a potentially contentious issue, however, I just purchased an RTV900 with work site tires (25x10-12) and have wondered if there might be better choice in tires.

Main intended use is lawn and garden maintenance on 4-5 acres of property. I have already had "the talk" from SO (CFO) about not damaging the lawn but don't want to limit potential use of RTV to suburban lawns.

I have been looking back through the old posts about tires and this is what I have concluded:

1. Could replace with 25x10-12 or 26x11-12 without "rubbing" issues in front.
2. Higher ply tire more resistant to puncture and better to support weight of RTV (2000 lbs + operator + payload)
3. Radial tire may provide smoother ride and increase "contact patch"
4 Tire choice also influenced by main use (turf vs mud).

Do the above conclusions seem correct?

Can anyone recommend a good 6-8 ply radial that wouldn't tear up the lawn (with careful use) but still offer good traction if riding trails?

Thanks

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Sandlewood

You have an interesting, but not unique situation. You dont want to tear up the lawn yet might enjoy trail riding once in awhile. Priority one seems to be to keep you CFO happy. With careful riding and if you dont go across the lawn when it's wet and soft , IMHO, your worksite tires should be sufficient. Remember, you RTV is a fairly heavy machine.

As to your trail riding, check with your CFO and plead for another set of wheels and tires. Lots of good choices it seems. Any serious trail riding with your worksite tires will probably not end well.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Sandlewood

You have an interesting, but not unique situation. You dont want to tear up the lawn yet might enjoy trail riding once in awhile. Priority one seems to be to keep you CFO happy. With careful riding and if you dont go across the lawn when it's wet and soft , IMHO, your worksite tires should be sufficient. Remember, you RTV is a fairly heavy machine.

As to your trail riding, check with your CFO and plead for another set of wheels and tires. Lots of good choices it seems. Any serious trail riding with your worksite tires will probably not end well.

And I agree !!!

BaiJiu

Ditto, if you have a good jack and a torque wrench, it's only a matter of minutes to swap wheels once you have them. You could surprise her and buy her a set for Easter, lol.

Ditto, if you have a good jack and a torque wrench, it's only a matter of minutes to swap wheels once you have them. You could surprise her and buy her a set for Easter, lol.

Well, I was planning to get her the windshield and front mudflaps for Easter, so maybe the second set of wheels will have to wait until her birthday ;)

Any recommendations on wheel type (steel vs alloy)?

Recommendations for non-turf tires?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Well, I was planning to get her the windshield and front mudflaps for Easter, so maybe the second set of wheels will have to wait until her birthday ;)

Any recommendations on wheel type (steel vs alloy)?

Recommendations for non-turf tires?

The alloy wheels are sure eye candy and can be bought already mounted at places like allterrainonline and shipped to your door . There are several patterns to choose from ..Hard... fun though. I have an extra set. I use the worn out set for dry weather summer and my grippers for wet conditions . It will save money in the end because you won't be wearing out your good tires in the dry weather. p.s. Those "pretty" rims are just what a lady who really likes her RTV, would like in my opinion.:a1: but.. it must be better liked than a ...vacuum cleaner or we may need to come rescue you..
You will save $ over time by having 2 sets mounted and they add value to your machine...collie

BaiJiu

I would definitely go with the alloy wheels especially if you have a corrosion problem in your area, we certainly have one here.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Alloy, it's the only way to go. And it's lighter on the RTV ....

Attachments

• Smokin' Gun.gif
    Smokin' Gun.gif
    6.2 KB · Views: 112

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
yup I agree if you wanna do lawn work and trail riding two sets of tires is the only way to go.i run mudlite xl's for everyday riding and I run outlaws for off roading. although right now I just have my outlaws because my son bought him a grizzly and didn't have the money to buy some good offroad tires so I sold him my set of mudlites and rims for 100.00 so that left me with just my outlaws for the time being.for good lawn riding I would get a set of tires like bczoom has I think they are bighorns they do good for trails too but are real easy on the turf.for good trail and mud tires go with some 589's twoguns said they stopped makin them but I still see lots of places that still sell them.there was a member in here who contacted me about tires .he or someone he knows works at the itp plant and said they still make them but that they only make them in rotations meaning they make a certain tire for a month then they change over the molds to make another tire and so on so if all the 589's that was made in that month sold out then you just have to wait till they setup the plant to produce the 589's again.twoguns posted a pic of the gorilla lites and I'm pretty interested in a set of them but I have concerns about the rubberif they are like my outlaws then the rubber is very soft and will wear fast if used everyday they won't wear fast in the mud but on dry ground they won't last long.

I have been thinkin of this idea about the tire chains and how they work. I think that if someone was to make a tire sock that would fit over a tire and be secured somewhat like the tire chains then a person could keep one set of tires on and when riding on lawn just install the socks over the tires so that they wouldn't dig into the grass. my idea was to use something cheap like burlap sacks and layer them like 3 or 4 sack thick and maybe secure them with tie wraps or rope something cheap that way it won't break the wallet.i'm sure a big company could make something like that and have it look a lot better but for the average joe I think the sacks would be a good cheap way to go all you need is sacks and rope.maybe one of you guys can give it a try and let us know how it works.

rapracing

I had called allterrainonline today about some tires. As soon as I know Kubota is taking care of the issues with the 1100c I am putting tires on mine. It is a heavier machine than the 900 but Robin recommended the following 8 ply tires

1. STI RoctaneXD

2. GBC Dirt Commander

3 GBC Grim Reaper....Said it is one of his favorites but not as strong as the STI

I am getting them on another set of wheels and will use the ATV tires that came on it for good weather seasons

Thanks to all for your your replies.

Dealer sold me 4 closeout 5 spoke alloy wheels yesterday. Now I have no excuse for not getting some tires though CFO rolled her eyes when I came home with 4 new wheels ;)

He told me the new 2014 models are 4 bolt, not 5 bolt wheels.

Is there a "good" time of year to buy tires?

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Does the new 2014 RTV's, have volkswagon wheels (bolts) like the old RTV's, or do they have lug nuts like regular vehicles ?

....... two guns

Attachments

• Change Tire.jpg
    Change Tire.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 70

rapracing

Does the new 2014 RTV's, have volkswagon wheels (bolts) like the old RTV's, or do they have lug nuts like regular vehicles ?

....... two guns

They have 2 lug nuts & 2 bolts. When I talked to Robin about wheels he said the have a kit that includes 8 studs to screw into the hub in place of the bolts and 16 nuts.

ETA: The kit is $40 I believe he said

rapracing

to clarify BaiJui.....the hubs have 2 studs now with lug nuts and the other two are bolts right now that go thru the wheel and into the hub. The kit replaces the bolts with studs and lug nuts.

BaiJiu

Thanks rapracing, I got it on the second read, just got lost in the 8 studs 16 nuts scenrio. That's what happens with age, you occasionally get those brain farts. lol