Boss snow plow fit

John in VC

I have a 2011 rtv 1100 that has a winch. Can a V blade Boss snow plow be used with the winch on the rtv 1100 or is it in the way and has to be removed.:beatdeadhorse5:

BaiJiu

Razer doesn't look like you are using a roller fairlead on your winch, if you do any winching it might be a little hard on that synthetic rope. I like that boss mount, looks like it helps protest your winch as well.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Razer doesn't look like you are using a roller fairlead on your winch, if you do any winching it might be a little hard on that synthetic rope.
You're not supposed to use a roller fairlead with the syn. rope. You use a hawse fairlead (like he's using). The rope can get caught/ripped in the corners of a roller fairlead but that can't happen with the hawse.

BaiJiu

I didn't know that zoom thanks, so is it just a flat plate with rounded surfaces? I've never seen one.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Pretty much. It's a smooth oval so the rope slides nicely regardless of which direction you're pulling.

BaiJiu

Thanks zoom, makes sense. I've never had a winch with synthetic rope. I nearly bought one for my 900 but changed my order at the last minute and got the steel cable again. Maybe someday?

razerface

yep, that setup is correct for the syn rope. I have used it quite a bit. I like it MUCH better then cable. That is a 5,000 lb winch. I have hooked to heavy enough stuff I pulled the RTV forward, dragging the wheels, so I had to tie the rear to a tree.

The only thing wrong so far is the loop that the hook attaches to got sorta bent, and I am needing to replace that before it cuts thru my rope. That is the weak spot in my opinion on the winch.

I have been thinking about making a bumper that goes in place of the Boss Plow, that would protect the winch more, and provide strength to the mount while the blade is not attached. It bolts to the frame, and would be hard to bend, but if I did bend it,,,,,,,Plus it could be built as a brush guard for the that purty orange hood!

I also need a push bar,,the orig bumper isn't strong enough for that.

The rope may be safer if it breaks,,, I don't know that ,,just talking to myself.

BaiJiu

That bumper looks quite strong compared to the one on my 900. You could quite easily do what you want since the plow mount already has bolt holes at a great location.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
The rope may be safer if it breaks,,, I don't know that ,,just talking to myself.
It is safer. The rope doesn't retain any energy. If it breaks, it just falls to the ground (unlike a cable which is going to go flying with a ton of energy).

BaiJiu

That is obviously the best reason to go synthetic, the next winch I buy I will go synthetic. Thanks guys.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
You don't need to buy a winch to switch to rope. There's a ton of retailers that sell the rope, complete with hook to put in your existing winch. That's how I buy it.

razerface

when I bought the winch, the instructions said to unwind it all, then wind it back up while under pressure, or pulling weight. If you do not do that, the first heavy thing you pull will make the rope work down into itself as it winds up.

I do not notice a lot of stretch when pulling,,at least not the way I pull,,,no "rubber banding" of the rope,, but i bet it stretches some.

Don't forget to include the price of the fairlead in the cost if you need to change it.

BaiJiu

Thanks razer, I thought of the fairlead after I got zoom's reply. Must be nice not to stab your fingers on a wire cable.

razerface

It is nice! I also now do not hide when I pull heavy stuff,, and stand right there guiding the rope around the drum while I am winching,, no gloves needed.