Stock Tires not so Bad

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Roxor and BF Goodrich KO 2's sailed right through flooded areas on farm. I used 4L and was very pleased I was able to get out of some sticky situations.
Water had gotten up on the electric fence for several feet in some places . As I got to drier land I had mud rain down on me as the tires cleaned out and the once clean Roxor is now freckled with mud. The wheels spin much faster than the RTV so I wasn't used to that. haha.
I still intend to get some real grippers but will wait for next Fall . collie

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Are tire chains an option instead of buying something more aggressive?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Zoom, I've never had to use them down here.Thankfully we don't have terribly frigid weather except for a couple of days per year. . I think my big problem with chains would be going from pasture to pasture via the pavement. We usually are in 3 to 4 different pastures a day during the Fall and Winter calving season. And in the Spring, I'm all over the place fixing and checking.
I was really surprised today when I felt myself getting stuck ( on top of a hill) and put the Roxor in 4L doubtful but then but then she just started moving on to "safety". I thought for sure that I was a goner . Much more of this flooding and I'll have to call the Roxor "freckles" from all of the slinging mud coming down. Right now though, I'm calling it the "Jeep" .
I'm also gonna need to wear my shades because all that wind while driving it makes my eyes hard to see out of. Haven't even gotten out of 3rd yet . :) 35 is a breeze in 3rd, and no slowing down going up hills or inclines.
Now the 2011 RTV xtr will go up a levee in H and the Roxor will do ok. I did have to roll back and proceed forward, one time when I started out too slow (going up the levee)with it in 2 wd. (the grass was tall so not much traction)

Last edited:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
It's rained about 14 inches this month (April) - most of it was in flash floods . Today I had to carry some posts (10) and a little wire to fix a hole in the fence and yes... I almost got stuck on top of a hill. I put the Roxor in 4 L and was in first gear .. it was moving too slow and I was sinking so I put it in 2nd ... however, it was almost too late. I was stuck going forward so I tried going in R... It worked for a bit and so I moved a few feet but the same thing happened. So , I played the forward and reverse game and
(of course, said a prayer) in 4L until I was finally on somewhat firmer ground Made it home but will definitely need some mud grips .

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I was surprised to read Roxor doesn't have locking differentials. They are available but about $2k each.

Glad you made it out of that mud! That's an awful feeling.

A couple of times I found that dropping the tractor's loader and using it as a toboggan reduced the drag that the buried front wheels (2wd) were causing as I backed out of somewhere I never should have gone. Almoooost stuck! :eek:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks , I was surprised the locking differentials were not standard too. I would have also been stuck with the RTV most likely because I really sunk down. (those are 16" tires) Thankfully , the clearance is higher on the Roxor. I took this picture when I made it to the crossing where the ground is harder.

Attachments

• KIMG0399.jpg
    KIMG0399.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 56

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
you can use your brake peddle as a makeshift temporary diff lock to get you free and moving. then just let off the brake and on you go. used it more times than i can count with the landrover.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Well I lied.... all 4 wheels ....stuck stuck stuck stuck...I was spraying the fence line , not looking in front of me , going really slow and sank that quick..Took a 2500 GMC 4x4 to fish me out.. I always watched this area even with the 4x4 tractor when spraying but just wasn't lookin' today. I know my first RTV 900 that first came with the worksite tires acted like this before I went to grippers-- but still ticked off.. Definitely grippers by Fall.

Attachments

• KIMG0089 (1).jpg
    KIMG0089 (1).jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 39

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
oooh Yea. I'm gonna get a winch asap. but not those tires haha I had similar on the older rtv once and when they get a little worn, it's plopp plopp plopp plopp :tiphat: collie

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
According to this ad, the BEs are available for 12" and 14 " rims. https://utvactionmag.com/itp-tires-blackwater-evolution/ I think I read somewhere else ( the ITP site) that the Blackwaters are available in another size but didn't see 16" listed. I have found some other grips I like but am going to have to wait a while to buy regardless. I'd like to keep these KO2's on my oem rims for dry conditions and the mud grips on a different set so that will run at least $900. I forgot the name of the tire I like but it had nice lugs and was around $123 ea. I may just have to get a winch in the meantime. I saw several I liked in the $475 range with synthetic rope . One was Smittybilt.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00K150VAI/?coliid=I14E2RIDV1H773&colid=1L1JU39LFJHIQ&psc=0

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I'm reluctantly pricing some buckshot Grip Spurs for use here on the farm. They have 1 " tread and ride like a rough banshee . Not too happy about that but can't afford to be limited on where I go. The Grip Spurs are made for mud and are hard to balance they say.. Bil used to use them when we fed 200 cows and their calves out of the pickup by hand and carried an overloaded pickup of feed out - which was stacked and packed to top of cab.
Burrr... glad those days are gone but I still have to get around.
Also decided because of finances to keep the same rims and sell the BFG KO2s to help pay for the overpriced Grip Spurs- so far at 175 each for 16" but still looking. B-i-l willing pay 85 ea for the KO2's cause he is a kind fellow. Will be putting the KO2s on a hay trailer. Will see how things come out and post. collie

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
have you tried running the air pressure in all four tires dangerously low? what you need is the profile to change in the grip area. and you can just air them up a little as the conditions improve. i used to do this on my old Land Rover andit worked great. heck you can even get one of those little air compressors to carry in the toolbox with all of the money you save. try it i think you will be surprised.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I have 25 lbs in them now but will check that out - now though theres very little dampness in the ground- earth starting to crack - and had 2 huge floods just 2 months ago-

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i would bet you can go down to 10 psi or less and still be ok on that light of a machine. just don't want the tire to slip on the rim. and then back up to 20 psi during normal times. just have to experiment until you get the right recipe.