2015 1100's

tlk

in thread below I discussed overheating issues with my 2013 1100 - dropped it off today at dealer and talked to mechanic awhile - hopefully it is an easy fix. While there I looked at the 2015's - independent suspension, power steering - but also noticed they repositioned the radiator - it is in the same area but rather than the coils facing the front of the buggy they turned it to face the outside of the buggy. I am thinking this can help prevent grass and seeds etc. from accumulating as much on the coils. They also look like they cut the seating down from 3 people to 2.

I have the camo with full cab - does anyone know what they are asking for the 2015's ?

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
I drive my X1100c in all kinds of grass and weeds and my radiator seldom needs cleaning.now the oil cooler does pick up some debris occasionally. as for the 2015 prices i am unsure but when i bought a little orange key fob they just gave me an RTV. I wonder if KTC still has that promotion going?

tlk

went to dealer yesterday to pick up my 2013 1100 - was having the overheating issues - mechanic cleaned my radiator coils out and said they were very dirty - also said grass and mud had accumulated underneath around the transmission, AC fan, etc. I use my buggy in south texas for hunting and it rains and I have to go through mud at times and also lots of dust. Mechanic told me I needed to keep all grass and mud cleaned out especially between the skid plates and transmission, etc. I am frustrated because this machine is an all terrain vehicle - it will take hours to clean out the mud and grass after I drive it each time. I have had the same issue with other brands too - Polaris, etc.

So I looked at the new 2015 1100's - they have moved the radiator from behind the drivers area to the front - they raised it higher and made it 20 percent larger which all should help on the dust/grass issue. However there is ANOTHER radiator behind the drivers area - only difference is they turned the radiator coils from facing the front of the buggy to facing the outside of the buggy. I asked the mechanic and sales person why it now has TWO radiators and both were clueless.

So I am stuck between selling my 2013 and trying the new model or just keeping the 2013 and trying to keep the radiator coils cleaned out plus underneath. Some of you have suggested blowing the coils out with air from behind but on my buggy there are metal "fins" behind the radiator that inhibit me from reaching it with the air compressor. So I either spray water into the front coils to clean out the dust or I use a compressor - but it makes me wonder if I am not just forcing more of the crap into the coils?

Sorry for the long rant but I am to the point of taking an entire screen door and attaching it to the full length of my buggy underneath to prevent grass and mud from touching the buggy! LOL - any suggestions appreciated. I also cannot believe more folks don't face these issues who use their buggy

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
A couple thoughts.

For your skid plates, replace the OEM bolts with wing nuts/bolts. That would expedite the removal.

If you don't have a pressure washer, get one. They're 100 times faster than a hose.

My RTV is much older so I'm not familiar with your radiator configuration. Is putting a pre-filter an option? I'm thinking of a cheap furnace filter that you get for 99-cents and have it placed in front of your existing radiator. When it gets dirty/muddy, just pull it out and put in a new one.

tlk

A couple thoughts.

For your skid plates, replace the OEM bolts with wing nuts/bolts. That would expedite the removal.

If you don't have a pressure washer, get one. They're 100 times faster than a hose.

My RTV is much older so I'm not familiar with your radiator configuration. Is putting a pre-filter an option? I'm thinking of a cheap furnace filter that you get for 99-cents and have it placed in front of your existing radiator. When it gets dirty/muddy, just pull it out and put in a new one.

Thanks for the response - the wing nuts are a great idea.

I tried a prefilter - it filled with dust and then restricted the air flow to the radiator. I do use one on the front of my buggy in front of the AC coil and that helps some. I will try to send a few pics later today of my radiator set up

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
I have both models and i have noticed on the X1100 with the extra radiator that the cooling fans don't run as often or as long as the 1100. i think this attributes to less chaff getting pulled into the radiator. another thing i noticed is that on the newer machine KBTC used rubber dams to channel the air away from radiator plugging debris.

tlk

I have both models and i have noticed on the X1100 with the extra radiator that the cooling fans don't run as often or as long as the 1100. i think this attributes to less chaff getting pulled into the radiator. another thing i noticed is that on the newer machine KBTC used rubber dams to channel the air away from radiator plugging debris.

also they moved the air filter to under the hood up front which should help there - so overall how do you like the X1100 versus the older model? Do you know what the extra radiator behind the driver is for?

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
I like the suspension in the X1100 and the roll down windows. if i could only have one it would be the X1100 for now. but as i have said before, the real bargain is in a used 1100C or 1100CW. there just isn't that much different when it comes to getting the job done. as for the radiator i have noticed on myX1100 when i run the air conditioner the front radiator fan is the only one that comes on and it stays on until i turn of the AC or the compressor cycles off. when i run the AC the engine temp will run one bar cooler. I think the added front radiator brings the capacity up so much that the fans aren't as necessary . i also am not sure but i think the fans on the X1100 don't pull as much air as the 1100 so they don't collect the light debris as much as the 1100.

tlk

I like the suspension in the X1100 and the roll down windows. if i could only have one it would be the X1100 for now. but as i have said before, the real bargain is in a used 1100C or 1100CW. there just isn't that much different when it comes to getting the job done. as for the radiator i have noticed on myX1100 when i run the air conditioner the front radiator fan is the only one that comes on and it stays on until i turn of the AC or the compressor cycles off. when i run the AC the engine temp will run one bar cooler. I think the added front radiator brings the capacity up so much that the fans aren't as necessary . i also am not sure but i think the fans on the X1100 don't pull as much air as the 1100 so they don't collect the light debris as much as the 1100.

I like my 2013 1100 and would not think of upgrading other than the radiator issues

tlk

First pic is of the screen I rigged to cover the AC coils

Second is my radiator set up which shows how easy it is for dust from the front wheels to come right up into the radiator.

Third is the backside of the radiator - I would like to use a compressor to blow out the radiator from the back but cannot get to it -

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 99
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 99
  • photo 3(1).jpg
    photo 3(1).jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 99

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
The pictures help a lot.

I tried a prefilter - it filled with dust and then restricted the air flow to the radiator. I do use one on the front of my buggy in front of the AC coil and that helps some. I will try to send a few pics later today of my radiator set up
In the 2nd picture, is that your pre-filter with the grommet(s) in it? If so, what's it made of?

Looking at that cubby hole in front of the radiator, if I had this issue, what I'd try is:
On the inside of that OEM metal mesh screen that faces out the side, try either (or both) some cheesecloth or furnace filter material and tape or otherwise adhere that to the inside of the screen. Optionally, hit the side that's going against that metal mesh with a light coat of Pledge.

Where that mesh is right up against the radiator (the screen with the grommet), replace that with a furnace filter.

If you can stop most of the dust at that OEM screen that sticks out the side, your radiator should stay clean(er).

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
why don't you try to make some sort of dam between the cab and the floor of the radiator support so that the air can only come from the side?

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
The pictures help a lot.

In the 2nd picture, is that your pre-filter with the grommet(s) in it? If so, what's it made of?

Looking at that cubby hole in front of the radiator, if I had this issue, what I'd try is:
On the inside of that OEM metal mesh screen that faces out the side, try either (or both) some cheesecloth or furnace filter material and tape or otherwise adhere that to the inside of the screen. Optionally, hit the side that's going against that metal mesh with a light coat of Pledge.

Where that mesh is right up against the radiator (the screen with the grommet), replace that with a furnace filter.

If you can stop most of the dust at that OEM screen that sticks out the side, your radiator should stay clean(er).

I also have been able to work miracles with that green reusable furnace filter stuff. just cut it to fit or stuff it in what ever works the best for you.

tlk

The pictures help a lot.

yes that screen is from the factory - I just bought a new one - it is a light wire type mesh - it keeps some seeds and grass out but not all.

I did try to block off the cubby hole - use a PVC pipe that laid right in it and blocked some of the crud. My only worry with a furnace filter or any other kind of filter is that they can restrict air flow and cause overheating. I tried an air conditioner home filter that was washable but it would clog up with dust etc too.

I will try covering the outside screen with some cheesecloth - maybe that will help - worth a try and a good idea -

tlk

why don't you try to make some sort of dam between the cab and the floor of the radiator support so that the air can only come from the side?

I will take a look at that to see how it could be done - worth a try - just have to be really careful on restricting the air flow too much

tlk

I also have been able to work miracles with that green reusable furnace filter stuff. just cut it to fit or stuff it in what ever works the best for you.

are you referring to the type of filters used for your home air conditioner unit? Or is this something different? Where do you find it? Home Depot?

tlk

ok found some of the furnace filter material at lumber yard - going to cut it to the size of the outside screen and attach it to the inside of the screen to hopefully help stop dust. May also cut some to fit the bottom area right below the radiator to see if that filters out some of the dust too.

tlk

I got all the filter stuff in and going to my lease tomorrow - will test it all out and see what happens. Bought a power washer to be able to blow mud and grass out from all areas of the buggy. Hope this does it - will update in a few days - can't believe more folks don't have same issues with dust and mud -