Another newbie with questions. Any advice much appreciated!

Mountain High

Heya folks.

I've read extensively here. MANY thanks for all of your input/experiences/advices. It does make wading through such a purchase a bit easier. (a bit...LOL) Even so....you know how it is sometimes. The more ya read...the more confused ya sometimes get...

Scenario: I'm on the brink of a purchase. 2 options sit before me at present.

Option #1- I found a very lightly used 2013 rtv900 for sale that has about 50 hours on it. The owner says it was purchased to plow snow but shortly after the purchase a B35 (I think that was the model) came available and they went that route instead. As a result, the 900 has sat unused for most of it's life. The owner has stated to me that it has never even been "off road". It LOOKS very clean from the pics. (it's 2.5 hours away so I've yet to see it in person) The unit comes with a winch/windshield & vinyl doors that were never installed...has a brush guard, rear screen & black metal canopy. It hasn't even had the 50 hour oil change yet. From the pics it appears to be in mint condition. Asking 10K.

Option #2 - Buy a new 1120D w/turbo. 'nuff said.

I live at 7000 ft. Slight concern about overall power with the 900. (could add a turbo? Good idea? Bad idea?) Nothing here runs all out. I go back to the Midwest in my truck and chirp the tires at every stop sign. Here...nope. No way. Those of you living at altitude know what I'm sayin'.

Thoughts? I've read the thread(s) that speak to loose tolerances on suspension and rubber bushings...oil leaks...yadda yadda yadda on the new X models. Might as well go ahead and mention I'm not a real gearhead...don't enjoy working on vehicles...but can do it if I HAVE to. (would rather write a check at this point in my life) Also should say that the nearest dealer is about 90 miles away. SWAG is about 150. REALLY don't wanna spend 20K+ to end up under the damn thing with a wrench in my hand.

The thread about the wheel concerns on the "X" models never really came to a conclusion/faded out...so I have no clue what happened to all the folks yakkin about their concerns in March 2014. Was this resolved..or is it just the way it is/a wait and see kinda thing? Any input appreciated.

Concerns with the 900....power. My land isn't uber hilly....but I have a couple of small hills coming out of the creek bank (where I wanna build a bridge) that I wanna negotiate...and everything/all use will be at 7000 ft and above. I will be using this machine to plow snow in Winter and haul firewood out of the woods in Summer....along with a bit of joyriding next to the Arkansas river/general putzing around. Will it do what I expect it to do?

No problem affording either unit. Just "retired"...and dang it...it's time for me to get some TOYS. Just wanna make the most informed purchase possible.

So what would YOU do...and why? I would love to hear your thoughts either way. (or the third option..."run the other way"!

Other makers (Polaris/Arctic Cat/Massey ferguson) have dealerships closer to me than Kubota...but...um....yeah.... kinda really wanna go orange...

Help me stop using my wheelbarrow so much....please!

Any input appreciated!

rjglenn

I live in Florida at about 68' above sea level so I can't help you with the altitude question but I will offer this.

I have a 2007 RTV900, it had almost 2000 hours on it when the hour meter quit working. I paid $12500 new. We have a 650 ac hay & cow operation. The Kubota gets used every day much more than any tractor or truck we own. I would much rather use it than a pickup to check/drive/chase cows, fix fence, carry tools & parts, whatever. The only real issue I have is because of the location of the radiator it is very easy for dust, grass, etc to get into the radiator and cause an overheat. I have to watch the temperature gauge and rinse out the radiator every few days.

They are fairly easy to work on and very easy to maintain. Don't expect it to be a speed demon and it will be slow on hills, you may have to use a lower gear. We took it hunting in central Georgia and it did require a little thought when climbing hills but even then it beat walking.

When this one becomes uneconomical to repair I will be buying another, that's probably the best endorsement anyone can give.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
In your research, have you come across a couple of guys that lived/worked at your altitude and higher? One ended up going the turbo route and the other did something to the fuel amount going into the injectors. Pump?????..........This was maybe 5 or 6 years ago, so please pardon the memory loss........

If you have a good dealer, I think I would go with the 900. The price and use is worth it. I am not familiar with the turbo unit that you have to choose from; but have going on 10 years of daily use of my 05 and cannot say anything but good stuff.......Yes, there have been little things, lol....so little that I cannot think of them right now....oh yeah, a fuel gauge replacement.........That 900 has just about every accessory you could want......GOOD Stuff!!!!!!!

My 900 is better than that battery bunny...The thing just keeps going and going. If you have a good Kubota dealer close by, what do they say about the altitude, and tuning????.......These things are geared low, so you can get pretty much all of the "grunt" that one needs to pull logs, a load of gravel or firewood and on and on.........Did I say that I really am pleased with my RTV?????
God bless.........Dennis

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm impressed with Low gear on my RTV 900 but like others I am not at high altitude so I don't know what to tell ya other than good luck. Any chance of having one brought to your place to try out? Some motivated sellers just might bring it to your place to see how she does.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
I have two RTV one is an X1100c the other is a 2008 1100CW. having both styles has given me the benefit of close examination doing the same task. my X1100c has been very dependable and the wheel wobble problem has not been an issue for me in aprox 1500 miles of use. i did experience some coolant leakage but a screw driver fixed that. the old 1100cw is a workhorse also and i like it very much. it requires a bit more maintenance than the X1100 and isn't as comfortable after a long day. I would suggest for you that a turbo is a must have item. i would price the 900 turbo conversion against the 1120 and go from there.

fishinbill85

I've ridden both the old model and the new X model.. (I own an 1120D)... I have to say, the suspension on the X models offer the superior ride. Something to consider if you have bumpy terrain. I also live in Central FL at about 50' above sea level so I can't speak on altitude, but Turbo vs Non-Turbo? Haha, not even a choice, Not many people have EVER said, "I just wish it wasn't so dang powerful!"

My 1120D has treated me right and the resale on the big orange is enough to make the initial sale to begin with.... Not many UTV machines running 3-4k hours and still selling for 8-9k!

As far as the bushing issue, it's been a non issue for me... (seems to be a good rubber material) if it ever becomes one, I'll put some brass in there.

Mountain High

We don't have a large spread like some of you do to utilize these machines fully. We're on a whopping 4.25 acres. LOL. It IS a damn pretty little spread though. Mostly treed, a creek running right through it (rare in CO, believe it or not), and a >few< rocks. (they don't call 'em the Rockies for nothin')

Thanks for the responses guys. Still slammin this around in my head. That 900 IS a sweet deal with all the accessories/low hours. That's what's making it a tough decision. It basically has all the options (other than a turbo) I want and would be a great start on getting set up to plow this Winter.

On the flipside...(I really want that 1120 Turbo) I've never removed snow in total comfort (I've been regulated/stuck behind a snowblower for years)...so the 1120 without a cab would certainly do (LOL). I'm honestly kinda scared to get THAT spoiled... heehhee...

Gonna make some calls to dealerships today to see if anyone is DEALING at all on these units. ANY suggestions/input/experience/TRICKS on how to negotiate the best price >over the phone<? It'll be a CASH sale if they entice me enough on the phone to actually make the 2-3 hour drive and walk on their lot. How much wiggle room have you guys seen in these advertised prices? When is Kubota's year end/when do the new models arrive in the showroom? Does this make a difference on how hungry they are for a sale?

Any "magic" appreciated. LOL. I know from reading extensively here some of you guys are quite the bullshatters...LOL. Never hurts to ask....right?

Resale value is a nice feature but unless it's a hunk of junk...I keep things a very long time...so want to buy the RIGHT machine at the onset. Unfortunately, the nearest dealer is 90 miles away and the 900 is owned by an individual so there's little to no chance I'll get a test/trail period to see how well either machine would perform on my property.

decisions, decisions, decisions... Either way.....THANKS again for the replies.

Attachments

• IMG_2538.jpg
    IMG_2538.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 251

Mark.Sibole

any good dealer will have one around for a weekend loaner for test drives.They are refered to as demo models.I purchased a demo model with 20 hours on it and had full warrenty and haved me a few thousand.As for ride unlike many others i expect it to be a ruffer ride as I didnt buy a lincoln town car.Its a utility vehicke for god sakes and dont expect nor want to feel like im rideing on air.But thats just me.If you are looking for a smooth ride buy a cadillac and not a RTV...

Kanook

Just my 2 cents.....If you are at an elevation (7000+), I would expect that a turbo would be a big positive. And if you anticipate a lot of snow plowing to be in your future...get one with an enclosed cab and heater. Difficult to operate the blade hydraulics with big fat mitts on....My 04 900 has a cab and heat and I use it along with my B2650HSDC to clear numerous driveways..4-8 hours out in the open with the wind blowing and well below freezing ain't no fun in an open station configuration.. The doors on mine come off for the other 3 seasons.

Just my 2 Canadian cents...probably 1.6 cents below the 49th parallel.

Rogerwh0

I live at about 6000ft. I have a 1100. I use it everyday for light farm work. I had it about a year and loved it but it was super slow even on the lightest grade. SO, I built a turbo kit and WOW. It runs amazing now. I assume this is how they run at seal level. At elevation I don't think there is an option except to turbo.

Mark.Sibole

easy solution.Buy them both.Its only money and youll make more eventually lol. I know high elevations are a lot different then low landers and being a low lander i cant help with highlander issues.Good luck and let us know how it all works out.

Mark

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
in my opinion the real bargain is a low hour used 1100c or 1100cw. they already have a cab with excellent air conditioning and a superb heater and they have a larger bed. it looks like adding a turbo to an 1100c would be a piece of cake also. i added a coast valve to mine and it made a whole new machine out of it. another plus it they come pre wired for all of the accessories as original equipment plug and play.

Mountain High

You guys are great. Many thanks for the responses/thoughts.

Great timing on your post, Aurthuritis (I know that guy as well. He lives in my back)

Found a slightly used 1100. The owner mentioned that the only quirk with the machine is that it is slow to start. He said it takes "a 20 count" but that it starts well if you wait that amount of time. Comments/Thoughts on this? Common? Fixable? A concern in your mind?

I'm seriously considering making the 5 hour trip to see (buy) this one. If I do...I'm gonna buy a trailer on the way as well. As all of you know, it's a big decision all the way around.

Thanks again for all of the info folks!

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Found a slightly used 1100. The owner mentioned that the only quirk with the machine is that it is slow to start. He said it takes "a 20 count" but that it starts well if you wait that amount of time. Comments/Thoughts on this? Common? Fixable? A concern in your mind?

If all else is well, I would think that issue centers around the glowplugs. Either there is a bad one or more or there's a blown fuse in that circuit. I'd tend to think glow plug issues as it starts well after a long hold on the key. I would doubt any fuel pump or other fuel related issue as it starts well after 20 seconds.

My 900 starts after a few seconds and I double that in cold weather but never close to 20 seconds.

I think is more a bargaining chip that a serious issue but other members will have more knowledge.

Bob

Mark.Sibole

if it starts i would say glow plug issue.Like he said could be a blown fuse or weak plug.Tell him it would be at least a grand t fix so deduct that from the cost or at least 500 and i think you will be ok.the only time i hold for 20 seconds is if its well below zero.Summer months I dont even hold it I start it like a car and it fires right up.In coler temps say 40 to 50 degrees maybe a 2 second hold.Most of the winter its a 5 to7 second hold time to fire it up at temps from 20 to 30 degrees...Before I serviced it for that issue I would run a tan or 2 of fuel with some diesel conditioner to clean up fuel lines condensation and any gunk in the injector system first.It could be that its just a tad dirty or may some water in the fuel causing the slow start.This is all I use in any of my diesel engines and never had a problem on the Kubots or old david brown 990 tractor
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001JT1FJ6/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B001JT1FJ6&linkCode=as2&tag=fuelinjectorcleanerreviews-20[/ame]
41q1PDjz40L.jpg

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
I don't use the glow plugs on mine until temp is below 40 degrees and it starts in about six revs. now that doesn't mean that the one you are interested in is faulty,not at all. it could be a weak battery or a dragging starter. if you don't spin a diesel fast enough they won't start. i would suggest getting around someone else s machine and familiarize yourself with the way the starter sounds and how fast the engine turns over so you can compare. also after it starts i would look at the exhaust for smoke. if you see black smoke i wouldn't worry because that could be a dirty air filter or even altitude. but if the smoke is white it could be low compression or faulty injector. next i would raise the bed and while the engine is running i would remove the oil filler cap on top of the valve cover and look for any vapor. if you see no vapor and white smoke then there is an injector problem ,if there is vapor and enough to cause a crankcase pressure then the rings are worn and you have blow by. none of these symptoms would mean the uselessness of the machine just a price point. My 2 cents are it has a weak battery.

Mountain High

Thanks again for the education, guys. Wish I had one of ya handy locally to drag along for a look-see. Definitely gonna be a learning experience. I've never owned a diesel.

Small rant.....Blows me away to see folks advertise items/take pictures of items that are dirty!

However, it does shed some light on daily uses. Question: Any correlation to driving on very dusty roads all the time and the slow-to-start issue? Just a thought. Kinda wonder if they've had overheating issues as well after reading many threads here linking the two together. (I'll ask)

Either way...the machine is still available and I think...is priced very fairly (almost too cheap so I am going to be wary) so if it is still there by Friday (the earliest I can see getting time to make the 5 hour trip) I think I'm gonna make the journey. I think the price point is low enough that I could put some cash into it at the dealer to ensure all is well and still be in very good territory on overall value/resale.

Thanks again for the info/advice all!

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
If you do buy the RTV 1100 and trailer it back home, you might think about loading it on rear end first. That will keep that very expensive windshield out of the way of any stones chucked up in the air. Just my 2 cents. Also, if buying a trailer, get one heavy duty enough to haul that RTV.

Keifer. (2012 RTV 1100)