Slipping update

molines2k8

Got everything back together on the RTV 900. Replaced pivot shaft, bearings and seals. The machine is still acting like a brake is hung up inside on the right side. I unhooked the brake linkage as there was still some pressure on it, applying the brake a little. I have noticed the brake cylinder on the RT side is not returning to home. How long it has been on a little?, I don't know. If the brake was always on, could it have gotten hot over time and welded the brake disc's somewhat? Also wondering if the spline on the shaft coming out of the tranny is bad........ Care to continue the challenge....

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
I know it is redundant at this time but please bear with me. if the U joints aren't timed properly on the shaft they can cause binding to occur.

molines2k8

There doesn't seem to be any binding going on. The left side turns freely when I step on the trottle. It needs to be revved up a lot more before the RT side starts turning. It gives the impression that something is hung up, or dragging, inside the tranny on the RT side

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
Oh I see. you are running this test while the rear is jacked up both wheels free from the ground? correct?

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
Oh I see. you are running this test while the rear is jacked up both wheels free from the ground? correct?

if this is true then try this>> with the engine running and both rear wheels jacked up and free from the ground. put the machine in gear and raise the throttle just enough to make the wheels spin. then carefully grab the spinning wheel and feel the power transfer to the other wheel. if there is any drag you will feel it at this time.

molines2k8

Just got done tearing the bumper back off and conducted the test you described. I'm all alone in doing all this, so I accelerate just a bit then grab the u-joint coming out of tranny. Both side are the same, I can hold either side by hand and keep it from turning. The opposite side turns but I can't hold it too. The outer bearing went in pretty hard. It went in evenly, I used a flat washer the exact size of the bearing with a threaded 5/8 rod. I tried using an impact wrench but it wouldn't quite do it. So I gently beat it in. After getting it in a little over half way I checked the center of the bearing for ease of spin, it was tighter than it was before it went in. Didn't change much after it went in all the way. Still pretty tight.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
oh wow man! you disassembled the rear? I just wanted you to set the hand throttle and grab one rear wheel so you could feel the differential work when all the power went to the other side so you might feel any grinding or catching indicating a broken spider gear. then do the same for the other side. this would also check the diff lock. I am sorry real sorry if i was hard to understand!

molines2k8

I had to take it back off any way to check other things...no problems....It's not that bad of a dis/reassemble. Do you have any ideas about the bearing being so tight? that's one of the reasons it came back off...to see if the shaft out of the tranny still seem to drag, it didn't seem to drag. but
am I able to hold either side shaft and keep it from turning while accelerated in forward or is that not right?

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
I had to take it back off any way to check other things...no problems....It's not that bad of a dis/reassemble. Do you have any ideas about the bearing being so tight? that's one of the reasons it came back off...to see if the shaft out of the tranny still seem to drag, it didn't seem to drag. but
am I able to hold either side shaft and keep it from turning while accelerated in forward or is that not right?

if the diff lock is dis engaged and the machine is in gear at low speed you should be able to grab one wheel and stop it but the other wheel should increase in speed slightly. you should be able to do this on both sides respectively. it should be smooth and not catchy or jerky. as for the bearing are you sure you have an OEM bearing? did you mic the OD of the old one and compare to the new one? it should be fine as long as it doesn't get hot when operating or the housing wasn't damaged when you put it in.

molines2k8

This whole thing started with it feeling like the right side was dragging. After replacing the pivot shaft and putting it back together it is acting the same as at the start. The bearing on the outer right was seized up so that might have aided in the dragging.....but it is still dragging when all back together....no tires

Mark.Sibole

I know it is redundant at this time but please bear with me. if the U joints aren't timed properly on the shaft they can cause binding to occur.
if the joints are not in sync you wont notice it as binding per say.You will notice that during speeds over 5 mph as a thumping noise or like a wheel is severely out of balance.It will feel like the machine is bunny hopping and going to come apart.

Mark.Sibole

Also you may need to tear it down to replace or repair the dragging brake.Personally I have never done that so im not sure what is involved in doing brakes on it.If you get unlucky and have to do a brake bob please take notes and pictures for us in case any one of us has to do a brake job.

Mark