TYM 353HST - mini review The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

fla45fan

8x56
I didn't get them with mine - did you have to order them seperately? mine were the SU2400's - for $325.

8x56mn

No they came with mine. The first pair were kind of flimsy and they replaced them with a more robust set at no charge.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Interesting, mine did not come with a tie bar either. :confused: I've had mine for 3 years or so now. Most times I don't have an issue with either of the forks moving, but I'd guess that could come in handy.

8x56mn

Not sure on the model. I've had them about a year. The cost was around $325.00. The first set slipped down over the uprights and was made of light channel. The second set was more robust and were solid tubing between the locking collars and slipped over the forks.
The first set I bent while backing away from a load and turned the tractor too soon causing side tork. I called them and they responded right away with the new pair, no questions or hassle. I have not had a problem with the new ones and I don’t baby them.

8x56mn

OK, just revisited the Payne fork web site. Mine are the light duty 1200 lb. capacity for 300. plus 25.00 shipping. I got the light duty because I don't care to lift more weight than that fearing it would damage the bucket.

fla45fan

my forks are the SU2400's - SU stands for Screw Up (per Payne's ad in Tractor House) they are shorter than the regular medium duty and none come with the stabilizers, which are a $135-145 add-on. Good job if you got 'em for free!

VSDI

Mounting light switch on the dash.

My dealer mounted the switch just above the hazard flasher switch. You can see the green led on the switch in the photo.

Attachments

• wday.JPG
    wday.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 181

ken8378

Thank you

Thank you for your detailed input on this tractor. I am looking at buying my first tractor this year. I have considered the T293 HST, but I keep gravitating to the 353. The 293 would do most of the things I need to do. I think it will be worth the upgrade because the one thing that seems to be reinforced on this forum is to find the tractor that will do the jobs you need and jump up a size for good measure. I am also planning on dealing with your dealer, so the dealer review is also helpful.

VSDI

ken8378

Idid my research and the 293 is the replacement for the 273 according to the dealer I did not buy from. They have the same engine look at the specs. The hp difference is rpm. If you can afford the difference there is a big difference in chassis between the 293 and the 353. You will find for anything other than mowing the 353 will outperform the 293 by a lot. My neighbor bought a 2305 John Deere and regrets it now. Not enough weight or power to do what he wants to do. It mows well and for lite backhoe and fel work it is ok.
Are you in Oneonta area?

Good luck with what ever you choose.

VSDI

ken8378

I think the larger chassis will be a safer option for the long term project I have of converting 3 acres of woods into an orchard. I am favoring the TYM tractors because of the weight of their tractors. As in your comparison with your neighbors tractor, it seems that heavier a tractor is, the more work you get out of the tractor's motor. The tractor owners that have the heavier 20+ year old tractors tell me that 25hp will be plenty. The newer tractor owners of lighter tractors say that I should be looking at 40 hp tractors. The TYM 353HST seems to be the ideal combination of weight and hp.

As for mowing, I have no plans to mow the living space of my yard with the tractor I buy. I have a little rider that is well suited for the main yard and it's flower beds. I see myself mowing the orhard with a rear mount mower, but that area will probably be planted with clover for the deer.

I am located in Warren, PA. To give you an idea of my tractor needs, my property is 5 1/2 acre mostly wooded and flat lot with expansion plans if I can purchase my neighbor's 4 acre wooded lot for the ponds. I have 2/10 mile of dirt drive to plow and maintain. I would love to do lots of landscaping improvements to my lot like beds and gardens that would keep a tractor running just about every day off I get.

Any input on what I should be looking at in tractor options and attachments would be greatly appreciated.

fla45fan

ken
Glad my review has helped you in your decision. I'm very happy with the 353 and I don't regret for one minute upgrading to the larger tractor. I"m looking forward to getting back to the North this spring - I'm sure that there is alot of work waiting for me. Donnie has been very accomodating and highly informative - I think you'll like him.

As a newbie I think the FEL (front end loader) and a york rake would be the first two items on the buy list. next might be a box blade or some sort of rear blade for snow removal/driveway maintanance.

Kim

fla45fan

Update on the Red Bull

Well I got back up north a little over two weeks ago and I have been working the Red Bull pretty good lately. First I cleaned the beach - spent over five hours in the seat this time (saved myself $500 if I had to get "the GUY" to come out and do it). Then our community built a new playground for the kids and had two dumptrucks full of mulch that had to be installed. When I showed up last Saturday there were about 25-30 people with rakes and shovels but only 5 wheelbarrows and the mulch was almost 100 yards away. Pressed the Bull right into service and was joined later by a little blue one and a Bobcat skid loader. Now with the record rains for the last three months it was only a matter of minutes until the field turned into complete mush. the other two had to go around where I was but she kept working in over a foot of mud with no problems. Five hours later we had a fully functional playground and a buch of very happy volunteers. We figure it would have taken them most of the summer (with their limited equipment) to do what we did in hours!

Next project was a dumptruck load of #1 pea gravel for my driveway. In a matter of a few hours with the help of a rake I had a perfectly level, properly distributed drive finished with practically no back pain. Not to mention a load of topsoil for the garden, pulled a couple of dead trees, moved some flagstone for a walkway and took five rooms of old carpet and padding out to the road for trash pickup (boy was he surprised). I just wonder what next week will bring!

Regards,
FLA45fan

20/20

Fla45Fan: Who is the dealer that you speak of in NY? I tried the name you gave and they wrote back saying they've never sold TYM nor do they even know what they are. They said they only sel MF's. I live up in the adirondacks and am interested in the TYM models T233 through T433, Thanks for any info you can send.

fla45fan

The dealer was Rammelts Farm & Yard in Westfield NY in Chautauqua County (extreme SW NY state. It is my understanding that he no longer carries the TYM brand although I have not been in the area in a few months to confirm this. He is not listed as a dealer on the TYM website. There is another Rammelt's in the area (relatives I think) but they are the Massey dealer. Sorry this took so long - I am currently out of the NYS area. I will try to call this week to verify but they are closed now (Sat. afternoon) 716-326-3276 if you would like to try.

I will be very disappointed if this is true - so far a great tractor with what seemed to be great service.:mad:

20/20

@ Fla45fan, thank you for the reply. I've been doing tons of research on buying a tractor. I noticed the TYM's a few years back at a wood show up in Booneville NY and thought "hey now that is a nice lookin machine." Now that I'm ready to purchase TYM seems to be fadding away :( I have found more dealers that have closed their doors then those actually selling the machine :(. I will not knock the TYM's but I have to say I'll be looking elsewhere to place my money. I'm not mad but am sad that there seems to be no support for the TYM's and at this time would be way to nervous to purchase one. Thanks again for your reply and a well written thread, sorry I'll not be joining the TYM gang.

I am looking at some other models and have to say LS seems to be a strong and growing company, with years to back them up. If I go that route I'll try to give an informative thread like yours on the pros and cons.

DJFireUSA

update anyone??

I ended up with the t233 w/fel. Had my fair share of WTF moments with it including an exhaust that kept vibrating itself until the welds broke (more than once) which I ened up replacing with the updated exhaust on MY dime, cracked/broken fuel pump bracket, few other things. Cruise control hasn't worked since I purchased the unit. There's a list.

Lost the driveshaft that feeds the HST today (we think). The FEL joystick also broke off while using the front end to load the tractor onto the trailer (broke plastic tabs where she bolts to the bodywork).

Closest dealer is over 100 miles away and we are waiting to see if TYM will stand by their product or not. I am less than 30 days out of warranty.

Debating on upgrading to 353 so sell the infernal thing and go with something green.

Thoughts?

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Welcome DJFire!

I don't know any answers to your questions, but I think some of the Mahindra models are the same as TYM. If the TYM dealers have faded away maybe a Mahindra dealer would know how to maintain it. What part of the country are you in?

DJFireUSA

turns out the HST coupler it what took the brunt of the damage. Splines sheared where it meets the drive shaft.

Waiting on parts to get to the dealer.

Will update when I can. Still on the hunt for the 353hst