Mahindra USA

Bindian

I was invited out to MahindraUSA in Tomball today by Brenda Bradshaw.:applause: If you don't know Brenda, she goes by the user name Jsupport on TBN and is MahindraUSA's online Customer Relations contact person.:thumb: I think we hit it off from the start, as she is a friendly "people" person. She is a sweety. I also met her "go to" person for Product Support, Tim Zemencsik. He told me a lot, but asked me to not mention his name.:oops: He has numerous years tractor experience. I was convinced of that when he knew what my old Ford 3055 was. He is the second person I have met that knew what that tractor was.:respect: I got to pick his brain in his office/shop. I will ramble here. Mahindra's Tomball facility is on two acres. They moved Parts and the final assembly and distribution warehouse to north Houston near IAH (Bush) airport on 9 acres. They were going to move the Headquarters down there also, but it would seem the 9 acres is already crowded.

The new 82 horsepower cab model will he unveiled in March.:cool: But I think it will come out in February at the World Ag. Expo in California. It isn't a replacement for the 7110. The 7110 is a CUT and this bad boy will be a full blown utility tractor.:D The cab is best described as reminding you of a JD cab. I have no clue what that means as I haven't been in a cabbed JD in 9 years. :confused:

We talked alot about Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel. He gave me a 16 oz. bottle of Stanadyne Performance Formula Diesel Fuel Additive. I don't know how much it cost, but a 16 oz. bottle will treat 60 gallons of diesel. He told me to use it all my diesels. That includes my Mahindra 6520, my Dodge/Cummins pickup and my diesel generator. M&D Distributors in Houston, Texas markets it. M&D also rebuilds some of their fuel injector pumps. M&D has an excellant reputation as I have heard of them in Turbo Diesel Register for Dodge pickups. I was told biodiesel is a no-no.:badidea::forgetit::topicclosed: There are two cases pending of ruined tractor engines from using biodiesel. :eek:

I asked about a tractor in his shop. It had way bigger front tires than my 6520. He said it was a 6530, but now I am thinking he said 6030. It had the engine side cowls off, so I didn't see what it said on the sides. He said it was a new model. Anyway, it has the new emission equipped Tier 3 turbo charged engine in it that requires ULSD. It has way more plumbing around the engine than my 6520. Old timers are not going to like it as all the tractor manufacturers have to go with more emissions.:( So I guess in the future we will be hooking our tractors up to dianogistic computers.

I met the president, but didn't get to talk much with him, as I was on the way out. We did talk a little on that American tractors are not completely made in the U.S. anymore.

They did have rows and stacks of tires there. I was told I can get higher rated tires for my 6520 front end, but will have to hunt for them.
hugs, Brandi

shinnlinger

Bindian,

I was thinking of your front tire load bearing issue. Could you fill them like you did the rear? I have seen an antifreeze "injector" made of a foot or so peice of 4 inch heavy wall PVC with a cleanout for filling it that was tapped to hold an air filler nozzle on one side and an air compresser fitting in the other. You could empty your front tires and in two or three "fills" with a unit like I described you would replace compressible air with non compressible antifreeze.

I am a little concerned though also. If you can flatten your front tires lifting certain things I would think something is wrong. Is the loader matched to what your tractor can handle? Some folks buy a big loader for their small tractor thinking they are saving money only to crack their front axle or flip their machines.

I am also curious about the biodiesel comment. New Holland is fine with b-20 as are others. I have been using in my powerstroke and other diesels without issue. I wonder if it is a direct vs indirect injection deal...are the new mahindras direct injected? If you could follow up on that I would apreciate it.

Dougster

Old Member
Excellent report Brandi! Thanks for posting it! :) Sounds like you had a good visit. Hopefully, the next step is for them to make you an executive vice president! :thumb: And their national spokeswoman, of course! :applause:

Dougster

WOW Not only does she get an invite to the plant, from Brenda herself, but she also breaks the news on the new model. I am impressed:applause: Oh yea that probablly was a 6030 Brandi. They have 11.2R24's on the front end. Titan has them in 8 and 10 ply, but you ain't gonna like the price. Over $500.00 a piece. I think they are lined with gold or silver or maybe oil.

Bindian

Bindian,

I was thinking of your front tire load bearing issue. Could you fill them like you did the rear? I have seen an antifreeze "injector" made of a foot or so peice of 4 inch heavy wall PVC with a cleanout for filling it that was tapped to hold an air filler nozzle on one side and an air compresser fitting in the other. You could empty your front tires and in two or three "fills" with a unit like I described you would replace compressible air with non compressible antifreeze.

I am a little concerned though also. If you can flatten your front tires lifting certain things I would think something is wrong. Is the loader matched to what your tractor can handle? Some folks buy a big loader for their small tractor thinking they are saving money only to crack their front axle or flip their machines.

I am also curious about the biodiesel comment. New Holland is fine with b-20 as are others. I have been using in my powerstroke and other diesels without issue. I wonder if it is a direct vs indirect injection deal...are the new mahindras direct injected? If you could follow up on that I would apreciate it.
Shinnlinger,
I won't be filling any of my tires until I have a higher gross weight trailer to haul and a one ton to pull it.:sad::forgetit: As it is now, I pull about 4,000 pounds over recommended Dodge trailer weights. :eek: I maxed out my tire air pressure and all seems fine now. KMW and Mahindra design and engineer the FEL to match the tractor.:cool: So all should be fine there. I won't be buying higher rated tires until I need new ones.:waiting:
My Mahindra has a massive Carraro front axle.:thumb: I would think if something cracked the front axle, the whole tractor would need to be totaled. When comparing the higher horsepower Mahindra's to other brands, hp to hp, the Mahindra is overbuilt. I think the 6520/7520 tractors, could handle a bigger Westendorf loader easily. But then that jeopardizes the warranty.:bangin:
hugs, Brandi

Bindian

Excellent report Brandi! Thanks for posting it! :) Sounds like you had a good visit. Hopefully, the next step is for them to make you an executive vice president! :thumb: And their national spokeswoman, of course! :applause:

Dougster
Dougster,
It was nice. Let''s see....VP or Mahindra dealer? I will take the dealership.:thumb: But won't say where.:badidea:
hugs, Brandi

Bindian

WOW Not only does she get an invite to the plant, from Brenda herself, but she also breaks the news on the new model. I am impressed:applause: Oh yea that probablly was a 6030 Brandi. They have 11.2R24's on the front end. Titan has them in 8 and 10 ply, but you ain't gonna like the price. Over $500.00 a piece. I think they are lined with gold or silver or maybe oil.
Ed,
Yeah, it must have been a 6030 as it had 11.2R24s on her front. With the hood all removed and those big front tires and not looking at the rear fenders, from the left side, I thought it was a 7520 at first.:confused: Over $500.00 a piece? :yuk: Guess I will have to get an invite to the Titan plant.;)
hugs, Brandi

The new 82 horsepower cab model will he unveiled in March.:cool: But I think it will come out in February at the World Ag. Expo in California. It isn't a replacement for the 7110. The 7110 is a CUT and this bad boy will be a full blown utility tractor.:D The cab is best described as reminding you of a JD cab. I have no clue what that means as I haven't been in a cabbed JD in 9 years. :confused:
Some people have all the luck. So Brandi, did you get to see this new monster, any pictures? I heard the other day that the new 7520's are a wee bit different.:fishing:

Bindian

Some people have all the luck. So Brandi, did you get to see this new monster, any pictures? I heard the other day that the new 7520's are a wee bit different.:fishing:
Brian,
No, I haven't seen one, but Tim has. Guess I should have asked for a photo.
It isn't luck. It is my blond hair and red boots.:thumb: Are your boots New Holland blue like your 7520?:yankchain:
hugs, Brandi

Brian,
No, I haven't seen one, but Tim has. Guess I should have asked for a photo.
It isn't luck. It is my blond hair and red boots.:thumb: Are your boots New Holland blue like your 7520?:yankchain:
hugs, Brandi

No blue boots for me,:badidea: just your std brown leather. Sounds like you had a good time at Mahindra.

Bindian

Another item I remembered overnight. While at MahindraUSA yesterday and discussing ULSD fuel, I was asked how often I change my fuel filters. I said when the owner's manual told me to. He stated to change the fuel filters twice a year. All because of ULSD.
hugs, Brandi

Dougster

Old Member
Another item I remembered overnight. While at MahindraUSA yesterday and discussing ULSD fuel, I was asked how often I change my fuel filters. I said when the owner's manual told me to. He stated to change the fuel filters twice a year. All because of ULSD.
hugs, Brandi
Now I am not understanding any of this because all I have ever run in the Red Beast *is* ULSD... and it runs fine! Am I looking at future trouble here? :confused:

I use Power Service at home when I think of it, but almost never when refueling on a remote jobsite. I'm supposed to check my fuel filter every hundred hours, *clean* it at 150 and 250... and then replace it at 300 hours. In reality, I check it frequently, have never felt the need to *clean* it and am fast approaching it's first replacement (by me) at 300 hours. If I really do need to replace them twice a year, I'd better find a cheaper source. :eek:

I know I am old, cranky and set in my ways... but I haven't seen anything so far that would indicate more frequent filter changes just based on using ULSD fuel alone. Could this be a suggestion mainly aimed at folks who are converting from the older fuel specs? :confused:

Dougster

JSUPPORT

Now I am not understanding any of this because all I have ever run in the Red Beast *is* ULSD... and it runs fine! Am I looking at future trouble here? :confused:

I use Power Service at home when I think of it, but almost never when refueling on a remote jobsite. I'm supposed to check my fuel filter every hundred hours, *clean* it at 150 and 250... and then replace it at 300 hours. In reality, I check it frequently, have never felt the need to *clean* it and am fast approaching it's first replacement (by me) at 300 hours. If I really do need to replace them twice a year, I'd better find a cheaper source. :eek:

I know I am old, cranky and set in my ways... but I haven't seen anything so far that would indicate more frequent filter changes just based on using ULSD fuel alone. Could this be a suggestion mainly aimed at folks who are converting from the older fuel specs? :confused:

Dougster

Dougster,
My "GO TO" person, says; How long does it take you to get to 300 hours on your tractor? It might take you a year, but it might take Brandi 3 years. So change your fuel filter every 6 month whether it needs it or not for a precaution!!!

"A Smile Is A Light In The Window Of The Soul, Indicating That The Heart Is At Home."
Best Regards,
Brenda Bradshaw
Customer Relations
Mahindra USA, Inc.
17723 FM 2920
Tomball, TX 77377
1-800-887-2286 EXT. 321
brenda.bradshaw@mahindrausa.com

Dougster

Old Member
Dougster,
My "GO TO" person, says; How long does it take you to get to 300 hours on your tractor? It might take you a year, but it might take Brandi 3 years. So change your fuel filter every 6 month whether it needs it or not for a precaution!!!
Well, that is a very good point. I started to think about it after I posted and 300 hours vs. "twice a year" may not be all that different for some. This past year, my work was concentrated into a few months due mostly to a very bad advertising decision and close to 2 prime months out of work because of a foot injury. My business plan (for what it's worth) calls for me to put at least 350 billable hours per year on the 4110. Clearly, I fell way short of that goal in this first season. :eek: Should I end up purchasing a second machine next month, that figure will drop below 300 hours annually.

Those operating hours are expected to be concentrated in a 7-month window from April 1 through October 31 each year. The Red Beast is essentially unused during the 5 off-season months. I still think that one filter change in April is plenty for me. Remember that I've been using ULSD exclusively since I bought the tractor in August 2006. :)

Dougster

Dougster just do it twice a year. What you are not doing is reading between the lines. If the folks that Brandi talked to say twice a year, they have good reason. Remember these guys are seeing issues from several thousand machines all the time. (IE-- pump wear, clogging, alge, and probablly a whole host of issues.) They are seeing people that put 10 hours on their machine to people that are logging several hundred. With that said the summation is that in their professional opinion it would be advisable to change the filters twice a year no matter how little hours you log in a year.:bangin:

Doug I just copied this from that other site. Brenda I hope you don't mind. I think it better explains the Tech people's concerns.

Hey Guys,
My "GO TO" person,
wink.gif
I can't mention his name, tells me, the ULSD is NOT dirty and has nothing to do with the coatings in the tank. What it has to do with is; any diesel fuel will deterioate any filter if it is left in there long enough and not properly attended to. For example: if you were to take a gallon of water in a bucket and fill it with cardboard what's gonna happen to the cardboard? Over a period of time the cardboard will turn to mush. Diesel fuel will do the same thing to filters if left in there over a long period of time.

"A Smile Is A Light In The Window Of The Soul, Indicating That The Heart Is At Home."
smile.gif

Best Regards,
Brenda Bradshaw
Customer Relations
Mahindra USA, Inc.
17723 FM 2920
Tomball, TX 77377
1-800-887-2286 EXT. 321
brenda.bradshaw@mahindrausa.com

Dougster

Old Member
Dougster just do it twice a year. What you are not doing is reading between the lines. If the folks that Brandi talked to say twice a year, they have good reason. Remember these guys are seeing issues from several thousand machines all the time. (IE-- pump wear, clogging, alge, and probablly a whole host of issues.) They are seeing people that put 10 hours on their machine to people that are logging several hundred. With that said the summation is that in their professional opinion it would be advisable to change the filters twice a year no matter how little hours you log in a year.:bangin:
Doug I just copied this from that other site. Brenda I hope you don't mind. I think it better explains the Tech people's concerns.
I hear what you're saying, but I am still old, ornery and as stubborn as a mule... plus as "frugal" as they come. I have had zero fuel problems and I really don't expect any. I watch that filter like a hawk... a carryover from my marine diesel days. And don't forget that my tractor is really a TYM disguised as a Mahindra... using 100% TYM supplied filters throughout. In reality, I should probably be calling TYM and asking them what they think about using ULSD fuel.

Dougster

It's easier for the OEM to give you specs that are unrealistic and when something goes wrong the first thing that they ask is, did you do(this) or (that)? If you did (this) then your OK, but if you did (that) then you are out of luck. Everybody does this, it's nothing new.

People worry about using old diesel, and I suppose it is different in other parts of the country, but I have done it a few times and had no ill consequences. I'm talking 10 year old stuff and 40 gallons at a time, no problems. Same goes with filters that had fuel in them for the same amount of time. They had not and did not fall apart.

I am not saying not to take all the precautions that the OEM requests, just that they are only precautions and that your machine most likely isn't going to fall apart if you don't. Most likely will last longer and work better if all service advice is done at the requested intervals, just saying that your machine isn't going to die if you don't.

Again, this is just my experience, not saying right or wrong, just my real world experience.

Dougster

Old Member
It's easier for the OEM to give you specs that are unrealistic and when something goes wrong the first thing that they ask is, did you do(this) or (that)? If you did (this) then your OK, but if you did (that) then you are out of luck. Everybody does this, it's nothing new.

People worry about using old diesel, and I suppose it is different in other parts of the country, but I have done it a few times and had no ill consequences. I'm talking 10 year old stuff and 40 gallons at a time, no problems. Same goes with filters that had fuel in them for the same amount of time. They had not and did not fall apart.

I am not saying not to take all the precautions that the OEM requests, just that they are only precautions and that your machine most likely isn't going to fall apart if you don't. Most likely will last longer and work better if all service advice is done at the requested intervals, just saying that your machine isn't going to die if you don't.

Again, this is just my experience, not saying right or wrong, just my real world experience.
Just to be clear, I am following the owner's manual recommendations essentially verbatim. The question on the table (or at least in my mind) is whether or not I need to do even more because I am using ULSD.

Being a cranky old mechanical engineer, I still need to be convinced that more than one change at the start of each 7-month long tractor & backhoe season isn't enough. :)

Dougster