JD790 traction problem

Ron Leard

Hi all, i'm brand new to the board. I have a Deere 790,4x4, w/FEL & 7' rear blade. Today I was plowing 2 feet of partly cloudy from my driveway, but, the tractor just doesn't get enough traction, tires always spinning, even in 4WD. Even the slightest incline starts the tractor spinning. I'm thinking I would like to fill the rear tires (R4's) with liquid. Will this help my traction problem? I found a product called rim guard, which proclaims to be 30% heavier than h2o and biodegradible. Does anyone out there have liquid ballast for their compacts? Merry Christmas ~ Ron L (New Park, Pa)

urednecku

1st, welcome to the forum.
2nd, yes, more weight equals more traction, in most cases. Here in central Florida, we don't worry about freezing or snow, so water is the "liquid of choice" of the people I know.

B

bczoom

Welcome to the forum.

like redneck said, it'll give you more traction. Rimguard is a good product and is what I have in mine. Avoid any calcium products as they're corrosive. Do not put it in your front tires. Even with the rimguard, your winter weather conditions may dictate the need for chains but I wouldn't get them until/unless you're sure you need them.

Ron Leard

Thank you for your reply. I'll give the liquid a try, is filling the tires, something one can do on their own, or do I need to go to tractor dealership? Thanks Again~Ron L.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hi Ron, Welcome to Net Tractor Talk. :thumb: ;D

I accidently ended up without my tires loaded. I had ordered it with them loaded but the dealer 'forgot'. I mowed and used the tractor the first 50 hours without them loaded. At the 50 hour service I had the dealer load them up. Boy, it sure does make a difference.

You can load them yourself, but as I said, I had the dealer do it since it was all new to me As I understand it you raise the rear end of the tractor off the ground. Rotate the tire to where the stem is on top. Remove the valve stem, and fill the tire until it is up to the stem. This equates to the tire being 3/4 full. You can use a drill pump or something similar to get the liquid into the tire.
Good luck.

urednecku

Remember, you do NOT want to fill past about 3/4 full, because the liquid will not compress like air does, & might ruin a tire when you hit a bump/hole.

B

bczoom

Ron,

I don't know where you live but it's pretty common to find a farm/commercial tire place with trucks that have everything they need to come to you (be it roadside or in a field).
When I anticipate tire work, I call in advance and work something out that the next time they have a truck in the area to swing by my place. They then cut you a real deal on the cost of bringing the truck out. I normally pay about $10. If I wasn't piggy-backing, to send a truck is normally $30-50 depending on distance.

Before you try it yourself, I'd call around. Going out and buying the rim guard, getting yourself a setup to load the tires and all the other work, it's so much easier to have them do it since they have the knowledge and equipment. They pull the truck next to your tractor and about 15 minutes, he's done and pulling away.

If you do decide to do it yourself, here's something else to consider. The valve stem has to be the type that is appropriate for a fluid filled tire. As I recall, he had to use special valve stems. Again, they're done in a couple minutes. It would take me a lot longer.

sal64

hello if u were plowing snow weight will help ,i had same prob with my jd 990 i bought v bar chaines and it made a dig differance tremendous traction now.

Ron Leard

Thanks everyone for your helpful information. I will make some phone calls and see if I can have someone come to my place and fill the tires. I know that calcium can kill rims. I'm glad they have more enviromentally friendly methods available now. Thanks again everyone....... Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Ron L.

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
If you decide to do it yourself there is a fitting you can get from Tractor Supply for around $20 that helps to make it much easier and faster. It basically lets you add fluid to the tire and bleed the displaced air off at the same time making the process continuous and faster. It can be connected to a hose, hose and funnel or, I think, a small hand or mechanical pump. I have one but have never needed to use it (fingers crossed) so I'm just guessing at how well it works.

Ron Leard

Thanks Tex Frank, im going to tractor supply this week, i'll look for them. I'll probally get the tires filled by the pro's, at least for the 1st time, but, its good to know that the adaptor needed is relatively cheap and available.