John Deere 4230 Air conditioning

Dylly

Hi,

I recently purchased a JD 4230 off of a neighbor which has a seized A/C compressor. I rode in the tractor a few years back when the air worked, and it worked very well. I was wondering, when a compressor seizes, is there other components that NEED to be replaced at the same time?

I ordered the compressor, it should be here in a day or so.. I plan on getting the system evacuated via vacuum pump at a shop in town.. adding the appropriate oil (which i haven't determined yet) and refilling it with refrigerant. What other items require attention at the same time?

Thanks a lot.

RJC2

I replaced the compressor on my 87 JD 2555 about four years ago. If memory serves me it was a Delco unit and came with the oil already in it. It just needed to be converted over to R134 which amounts to just changing the two valves that you the charging the system up to. Very easy and cheap.
The good thing about having it changed over to R134 is that if it starts to loose its charge (blow warm) you can go to a local parts store and get a can of R134 with a guage built in and give it a shot of freon to cool things back down and you are good to go.

I am not familiar with your model however, with mine (2555) and other 50 and 55 series Deere's, if the freon level gets low the compressor will stop working by design to save it from damage. Some have a fuseable link that requires replacing when this happens, mine did. The link is black and is located near the compressor usually on the passenger side. It's about an inch square by a quarter inch thick.

Another item that would be a good idea to replace would be the rubber O rings that are located where the A/C lines connect to the cab. Mine are under the cab beneath the left running board. They cost about a dollar a piece. The connector I silver in color and just unscrews and you will see the O ring on the male side of the connector. There are two of them.

These tractors are bad about having leaking steel lines where they go up the cab corner pillar to get to the evaporator in the roof. The lines generally go up the left (drivers side) rear post of the cab. So if you get a persistant leak that is a good place to look. A friend of mine has given up on the replacement steel lines and just uses rubber lines in their place. He says it is much cheaper and there are no vibration issues that wear holes in the metal lines.

Again, my experience is more with the 50 and 55 series tractors, so don't take what I say as gospel. I have worked on a neighbors 4230 before and it was very similar.
Deere has great engineering and they are constantly evolving but stay much the same on the older machines with certain improvements with each progressive series.

You just can't beat those old Manhiem, Germany built machines. They are like swiss watches that take a licking and keep on ticking.
These are the same people that built the Panzer tanks...

Hope this helps. Good luck.
Bob