A new mahindra for me????

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi , I'm looking into buying a Mahindra 3316 gear or similiar tractor with a quick detach loader. I would be using this on the farm for minor clean up of brush, pushing limbs, pushing down T posts and spraying pastures with grazon. I would also like to get a tiller for it -when I can afford- and maybe a canopy to cut down on sun rays. Have any of you any info on the reliability of this model and who makes the engine ? Right now there are some $ incentives. My dealer on the phone quoted the low 18000$ with 1 1/2% farm tax for the tractor and fel. I understand they have a 5 yr limited warranty too. I had looked at a used green one but it was 3/4 that price and 3 yrs old with 350 hrs.The green dealer is 12 miles away and the Mahindra dealer is on the other side of a major city and repairs could be a big hassle. I want to stay around 35 hp. We have big tractors for the heavy tasks... I want something small that can help in tight areas. Thanks very much for your help. Bordercollie

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
I know one of our members, Bindian, has a 6520 Mahindra. She loves hers.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I was all set to buy Deere or Kubota and wanted a nearly new one. I found they do not depreciate much and many times you can buy new with better financing options than you would get on a couple year old model.

That said, a John Deere at 3/4 the price with only 350 hours would be worth consideration from my point of view. It's barely broke in at 350 hours. If it's the right size and all you might be able to add the tiller and still be below the full price of the Mahindra. JMHO.

I would also evaluate the dealers. No matter what tractor you get you want a strong service department behind your purchase. Closer would sure be handy and worth a little bit extra to me.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for the replies. I just now cracked/chipped a rear tooth so there goes some of tractor kitty money. Ohh well... That's the kind of year I've had already.. The green one(3320) has been sold .I guess I will just keep saving up. I may go and just sit on a Mahindra in a few weeks but then I know that won't be smart with spring coming and all.. just like a dangling carrot... Thanks again!! Bordercollie

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Know what you mean BC. I had trouble keeping my tractor kitty built up for the two years I spent shopping and saving. At least you already have a bigger tractor for the interim until you buy a compact.
Amazing but the used compacts cost about as much as a bigger tractor. Each has their purpose, so it simply depends on what you need to get done.
Sit in as many seats as you can during the shopping phase. I'd check out Deere, New Holland and Kubota offerings as well as Mahindra. It will help you know when the deal is right, and which tractors ergonomics fit you best.
Have fun tractor shopping.

Bordercollie, I purchased a 3215HST (same as 3316 except decals) 14 months ago. Like you , I was looking for a smaller tractor to supplement our larger machines. It has been a very pleasant surprise as far as how much this little tractor can do, it has been a good little work horse. Your pricing is right in line, as that is about what I had to pay. I had and have done a few improvements to it to make it that much better for me.

To start with, my dealer installed a canopy, a Mahindra factory rear remote, and exchanged the Mahindra OEM spring seat for a 7520 OEM suspension seat for a minor up charge.
rolleyes.gif
In hindsight, I probably would not get the OEM remote again. Besides it being a little costly, it doesn't work how I feel that it should work. It is a 4 position valve which is good, but when it is in float mode, the 3pt will not pickup.
frown.gif
Not that that has hindered anything yet, it just seems that it is not right, to me anyway.

All the other improvements I have done myself.

I built a "TnT" set, as in fabricated the cylinders as needed to match the factory links. Installed a standard double valve with float position on one of the valves from Surplus Center. Built the hoses myself from parts that I bought from Discount Hydraulic Hose. Installed needle flow control valves on each valve to be able to reduce hydraulic flow as needed.

Installed an ammo box behind the seat and reinstalled the SMV sign, you can barely tell that it is there.
smile.gif
It is a bit tight though, and is easier to open with the seat slid forward.

After contemplating where to put a cup holder, I decided that It would be the easiest to just mount it at the base of the ROPs next to the fender. I used a piece of aluminum to mount a 3" ABS cap to the ROPs.

Mounted a fire extinguisher to the ROPs.

Installed some 5"x 3" lights on the canopy front and rear. Installed some rocker switches that light up when you turn them on. The wife made some decals to put at the switches to indicate what they are for.
cool.gif

Reinforced the loader bucket and installed chain hooks. I used 3/8" plate on the sides and 3/8" 2x2 angle on the top lip before the 4 hooks got welded on.

Changed the ends on the 3pt stabilizer-sway bars where they mount to the tractor to ball ends. Waaaay better.
biggrin.gif

Here are some pictures that go along with the improvements. :tiphat:

Another note, I have a Mahindra (made in India) 7520 4x4, with over 400 hours the only failures have been the PTO sensor and a sticky brake light switch. The 15 & 16 series tractors are made 100% by Mitsubishi for Mahindra. They seem to be a trouble free machine.

Attachments

• IMG_0134.JPG
    IMG_0134.JPG
    149.8 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_0138.JPG
    IMG_0138.JPG
    121.3 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_0142.JPG
    IMG_0142.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_0148.JPG
    IMG_0148.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_0140.JPG
    IMG_0140.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_0153.JPG
    IMG_0153.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_0136.JPG
    IMG_0136.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_0141.JPG
    IMG_0141.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 185

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Now that is a nice set up Mtn View ! Really fancy hydraulic stuff and reinforcing on your part too. I really like the canopy and seat as far as dealer items go. What do you consider a reasonable price for such a seat and canopy?. I also wonder if the gear or hydro is the best way to go for me. If I can remember correctly ,the gear was some bit less than the hydro on the mahindra site -but they just removed the msrp and now say to see dealer. I would like to see the Msrp put back up on the site so viewers would at least have an idea of costs before dealing. Anyway the price thing will probably influence which I get- but I also need to keep in mind this tractor- red or green- would probably be around for a long time. The 4 tractors we have are green and 2 of them are cabbed hydro and are used to pull big and heavy feed wagons. The other 2 are the open air gear type and really old (almost as old as my tooth that cracked today) Humm... and are used occasionally for other tasks. Doc, I have a Kubota RTV with 3129 hrs on it and like it but a Kubota and New Holland tractor would be out of my range (at least around here.) I do really like the quick detach loader on both the JD and Mahindra tractors . It would be a real plus to have it removable as the pastures are rough and when spraying with a loader on front the bouncing just kills ya. Thanks again for the all replies. Bordercollie

rlk

Gold Site Supporter
BC, if you are going to do much loader work, you should really consider a hydro tractor. I have a Kubota with hydro and FEL, as well as an old Massey 35 that is gear. The hydrostatic drive on the Kubota is so much better. If you are mainly going to be bush hogging big fields, or something similar, then a gear will work just as well.

Bob

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
rlk, That is just what I needed to hear..Most of the fields I spray are rather small paddocks of 5 to 20 acres with a lot of stopping and going thru gates. Thanks again for pointing that out! I was thinking save $$ by buying the gear-- but I bet I would burn up that clutch faster and would regret the gear decision. Looks more and more like a hydro for me!! I've been driving the hydros here for short distances for some many years that I had fogotten how it is with the old gear ones we have since I seldom use them now (the oldies are so cumbersome and hard to start when cold.). Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bordercollie

Bordercollie, the seat was $400+ and the dealer got to keep the original seat. The canopy was about $400 also, but I might be off a little on the prices, give or take a little. I think that the hydro is around $1000-$1500 more than the gear. I was leery about getting the HST, but for the type of work that I do with the 3215, the HST has worked out very well for me. I almost always remove the loader on my 7520 when doing field work. It is soooo much nicer with the loader off.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for the info MtnviewRanch . That seat would really be a nice addition , especially the armrest with the loader action- or so I would think. I will price the 3215 and 3316 hydro with quick detach fel next week. However ,I think the dentist bill will put a hold on any imminent purchases. Bordercollie

Erik

Bordercollie - I've got the 3510 gear (next frame size up from the 3316) and don't have any problems doing loader work with the shuttle shift. I looked at both and decided the HST was not worth the extra $1k+ to me.
good luck with the tooth - and finding the right machine!

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks, Dentist said it would be about a grand all said and done. BAH Humbug!! I do have a MSA but I like leaving that savings acct alone to help cover my really big deductible . So any way, the cash back incentive ends 3/31.But would like to buy before the price increase just announced takes over too.... And still the question green or red???? both dealers are good folks. If the Mahindra dealer was closer and not on the other site of a crazy traffic city, that would be a big plus on the red team as warranted repairs would be a pain- Bordercollie

Thanks, Dentist said it would be about a grand all said and done. BAH Humbug!! I do have a MSA but I like leaving that savings acct alone to help cover my really big deductible . So any way, the cash back incentive ends 3/31.But would like to buy before the price increase just announced takes over too.... And still the question green or red???? both dealers are good folks. If the Mahindra dealer was closer and not on the other site of a crazy traffic city, that would be a big plus on the red team as warranted repairs would be a pain- Bordercollie

My dealer is 650 miles away, no problems that we couldn't handle so far.

Erik

you might ask what they charge for pickup /delivery - might be worth the cost to save on the hassle and lost time.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi again! Now I am also considering a 3525 2wd. Any comments on this model? $$ is my main motivation as the 2 wd could be had for quite a bit less than the 3316 4x4. There are 1200$ in incentives right now. I understand that it has a 2 stage clutch which I hear is a good thing .I like the fact that it is a heavier machine and could pull a larger spray rig. Is the loader nicely plumbed or does it look added on? Joy stick near arm rest? Wondering about loader removal ? Have any of you had problems with this model? Also, I think I have found an interested dealer about 1 1/2 hrs away as he told me on the spray rig that I could pull it with a small tractor but might not be able to stop it :>) . Sorry for all the questions but I plan on keeping whatever I buy a looong time since it has taken me many many years to save up for it. Thanks. Bordercollie

Bordercollie, here are some things to consider.
2wd sucks at loader work, the rear end is light, even with an implement on the 3pt.
2wd stops with 2 wheels while 4wd stops with 4 wheels as long as you are in 4x4 mode. My guess would be that you would have better stopping potential with the 3316.
Typically it is thought that a 4x4 has 40-50% more capability than a 2wd of the same size and weight, that would put the 3316 just a little shy of the 3525, not about double like it may look.

While I'm sure that the 3525 is a good machine, the 3316 is a very nice machine. Have you seen these two side by side? While the tractor pricing is one thing, what about the loader pricing, I'm guessing that the loader for the 3525 is more $$$ than the loader for the 3316.

Just be sure to check everything out before you sign on the bottom line.

Good luck

Erik

from all I've heard about the 25 series, they're good machines.
2 stage clutch means you can push it halfway in to stop power to the wheels but still have power to the PTO.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Erik and MtnviewRanch, A lot to consider for sure. It sure helps to get opinions besides the dealer. I may just wait till I can afford the 3316 Bordercollie